What Filesystem Is Needed To Install Sabayon

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

What Filesystem Is Needed To Install Sabayon

Postby cchester » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:59

Hi,

I am new to Sabayon Linux and have been using Ubuntu for a while with no issues installing or setting up plus I have been using Linux off and on for years once I learned about it.

I think the partitions that are being chosen for the install must be wrong or something because after install no matter what I pick it never boots.

So what file system do I need to pick to install it also I tried automatic and that didn't work either.

This is a dual boot system with Windows Xp on my other drive and that drive is a SATA Drive but the one I am installing Sabayon on is an IDE. Could that be an issue?

This is driving be crazy I have been working on this for hours now with no luck and multiple trys of installing repartitioning and installing again.

The version I am trying to install is X86 3.4a and I did try the business edition in Vmware on my Windows machine and that worked no problem but for the life of me this one has me stumped.

Can anyone help me out please. Thanks.
cchester
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:11

The installer gives you the options when your setting up the partitions. I always use ext3 myself.

Why not give the error you are running into - Does not Boot is not enough information to determine anything.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby cchester » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:17

Yeah I tried ext3 and the error varies each time grub error 15, 17, and 22 are a few I remember.
cchester
Baby Hen

Postby Raqua » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:53

Is there a chance, that you have the IDE disk on a RAID controller ? I have tried to install Sabayon on a RAID (acting asi IDE - set up in bios) disk and never succeed. It seemed to me like grub could not access it at boot time.
Raqua
Growing Hen

Postby cchester » Tue Jul 31, 2007 17:42

Not that I know of how would I check? Under Windows device manager there is one listed but don't know what drive it is hooked to but I do think it is just for alchohol 120% virtual drive.

Oh I tried installing sabayon again and it boots straight into windows no grub.
cchester
Baby Hen

Postby edgevision » Tue Jul 31, 2007 17:44

Make sure your BIOS is set to boot your disc drive before the hard drive.

Where exactly in the installer are you encountering the error? Before or after it tries to format partitions?
edgevision
Growing Hen

Postby cchester » Tue Jul 31, 2007 17:59

Make sure your BIOS is set to boot your disc drive before the hard drive.

If you mean my dvd needs to boot first then my hard drive then yes it is.

[/quote]Where exactly in the installer are you encountering the error? Before or after it tries to format partitions?[quote]

I have no problems with the installer everything goes to the end and says it is installed and then when the system has rebooted nothing but errors or just straight to windows.
cchester
Baby Hen

Postby cchester » Tue Jul 31, 2007 19:21

Ok here is my hard drive setup for Sabayon.

dev/sdb5 /boot
dev/sdb6 swap
dev/sdb7 /

I just did a fresh install and this is what the partition program said.

I can't get to my grub menu.lst so I can't post what it says.

I did try booting with my grub super disk and tried all the options and it wont boot it either.

So any thoughts?
cchester
Baby Hen

Postby cchester » Wed Aug 01, 2007 14:37

Well it looks like I fixed my own problem without any real help from the forums. I switched which drives boot first on my computer and that seemed to fix my problem with Sabayon.

For those wondering I made my SATA drive boot first and my IDE second and bam after choosing the default options and automatic partition and take over the disk it installed and booted fine.

Thanks for the help.
cchester
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**