Important Portato Users [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Important Portato Users [Solved]

Postby wolfden » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:37

Ok I saw too many people complaining about their portato being broken. Thus I will stop the Qt frontend and concentrate on the gtk one.

A new release will come at the beginning of next week.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

While you are using version 0.7.5 you should switch to the gtk frontend:

Code:
Code: Select all
echo "app-portage/portato gtk -qt4" >> /etc/portage/package.use
emerge -C portatosourceview portato
emerge portato
Last edited by wolfden on Fri Aug 10, 2007 18:10, edited 2 times in total.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby jerryf196 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 17:03

I am new to Sabayon and I just installed the new verison 3.4a.

Is it true that it takes long to install packages. Or is it just older versions of sabayon.

So far this 3.4 looks hot! Just worried about the package managment.

Also how do you update firefox to 2.0.0.5? Ubuntu would realease updates for it.

Thanks
jerryf196
Simple Hen

Postby chickpea » Mon Jul 30, 2007 18:40

Necoro:

Portato gtk is still kinda broken in 0.7.5. If I do a search of say xev for example, and try to select xev in the search window to emerge it, the program just refuses to emerge it. The search window just stays there. Also after one emerge, Portato just hangs. I can minimize it, maximize the program window, but I can't select anything, like the search bar, the mouse icon just passes underneath the search bar?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THIS APP. I am running SL3.4a with compiz-fusion nvidia Geforce 6150 Go HP dv6408nr (x64 X2 Turion) I am running the gtk version, so it's not the qt headaches.

Thanks for your help.

Bryan
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby Necoro » Mon Jul 30, 2007 18:51

Hey chickpea,

I can't reproduce your bug ... Could you run it in the console and say whether there are any errors occuring=

I have released version 0.8.0 this early morning ... I hope it'll hit the tree soon (and maybe fix your error too)
Necoro
Advanced Hen

Postby FrozenFox » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:54

Jerry:

Sabayon is similar to gentoo in that it uses portage for package management.. portage compiles programs from source (with a few exceptions for large programs, such as firefox, which both a source and a binary are available). Thus programs are ---compiled--- to better suit your system, unlike other linux distributions which are mostly binary and thus programs are made for a generic (slower computer) environment. Thus, in comparison to other distros, package management is "slow". If you do not want to deal with the wait time in exchange for stability and speed when the programs are installed, sabayon is not going to be a good distro for you. Go with a binary such as ubuntu, pclinuxos, mepis, whatever, or wait some time for entropy on Sabayon to be finished.

As for firefox, you will need to (in konsole as root or with sudo) emerge mozilla-firefox-bin or get it from portato similarly. That is the precompiled binary of FF 2.0.0.5 if I'm not mistaken, and thus will not take very long, whereas some people say compiling firefox (emerging mozilla-firefox as opposed to mozilla-firefox-bin) would otherwise take hours to compile.
FrozenFox
Simple Hen

Postby chickpea » Tue Jul 31, 2007 19:23

Necoro wrote:Hey chickpea,

I can't reproduce your bug ... Could you run it in the console and say whether there are any errors occuring=

I have released version 0.8.0 this early morning ... I hope it'll hit the tree soon (and maybe fix your error too)

Yeah don't worry about this until I try 0.8.0. I'll report back with logs if I still encounter the same problem.

Thanks
Bryan
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby chickpea » Thu Aug 02, 2007 18:18

0.8.0 fixed the bug for me. Thanks. Not sure what was causing it, but whatever you changed in the new version fixed it.

Cheers :D
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers