Howto bcm43xx and sabayon 3.4?

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Postby WarraWarra » Mon Jul 30, 2007 20:22

Try ndiswrapper + windows intel 3945 drivers for your card ?
There is the ndiswrapper link at the bottom and what looks like links to actual drivers as well , not sure if the dell drivers I posted would work for you or not.

Sry just finished now adding more stuff.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby farfnarf » Mon Jul 30, 2007 20:28

WarraWarra wrote:Try ndiswrapper + windows intel 3945 drivers for your card ?
There is the ndiswrapper link at the bottom and what looks like links to actual drivers as well , not sure if the dell drivers I posted would work for you or not.

Sry just finished now adding more stuff.

WarraWarra (you "old dear hen" you :lol: ) you're posting to me, somebody who is new to portage.. I do not know how to get emerge to point to a downloaded file.. all I know how to do at this point is run emerge command. How do I get emerge to find a driver I downloaded and unpacked (I presume they are tarballs, which I know how to deal with)? Is there a tooooot oreo about that? :lol:
farfnarf
Simple Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Mon Jul 30, 2007 23:21

I can not help you with the emerge options. google / search / read / learn / wiki's is the only thing to help with that.
What I can help you with is at the top of the network and wireless part of the forum is a sticky explaining how it works.

I recommend using ndiswrapper and the windows driver as this is the easiest for newby's / most persons.
If you have the 3945 intel wifi you can try the linked dell intel 3945 driver I posted and install like I posted there as stated it could or could not work. Or at the bottom of the page it say's ndiswrapper: and links below it.
By browsing them you will see several similar options same as what I already listed for you to try and one of them suggest several links to drivers for wifi cards.

Or you can post the link for the wireless card you have so I can download the windows drivers and extract them to get to *.inf file / folder and post a link to this only as this is really the only files needed for ndiswrapper install.
Then you will still have to install the driver.

More than that no one can help you with as you will have to learn how to use this and searching with google like I did to get those links and then reading / learning the links / info is the only way to learn and try and fail and succeed.

This is a difficult type of linux / gentoo based and has a very high learning cure / difficult to learn but once you know what is going on and reading the wiki's on top of this page then it is so easy and fun.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby phzi » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:04

bcm43xx is known to be pretty bad under the 2.6 kernel. Just look at the openwrt project... they stuck with the 2.4 kernel because they couldn't get stable enough wireless on 2.6.
phzi
Simple Hen

Re: Howto bcm43xx and sabayon 3.4?

Postby robhwill » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:17

Hi all!! just wondering what with all the issues re: broadcom if anyone knows how/if/when the new patch + driver solution(s)
being worked on by the kernel devs (larry finger, et al) will be integrated into what we have in sabayon???

i 've been trolling the list and from what i read this guy is on a real mission to overcome these silly broadcom/dell/hp
wireless issues!! more info: < bcm43xx-dev-request@lists.berlios.de > this team has the skills obviously to back up
the open-source mindset. look forward to donating to them and sabayon next month.....retirement slows down certain
decisions/actions .....

in any event, if we support them, even in a small way as w/sabayon sooner rather than later the hardware "stiff shirts"
will eventually get the message.....as did ms$blows!!

looking forward to a script / *.tar.gz / e-build or whatever that will make this thing go away.
thanks for listening.

Have A Healthy, Prosperous Day!
---rob
robhwill
Young Hen

Postby foucault » Fri Sep 28, 2007 18:19

Hey, I have a bunch of outputs to post but before i do that I'll just give a simple rundown and maybe the various outputs will be unnessesary.

basically my bcm4311 card works in sabayon 3.4 loop3a I have all the relevant stuff logged, dmesg, lsmod, iw/ifconfig etc.

and in 3.4a or 3.4e i have to use ndiswrapper.

Dont like ndiswrapper, irq conflicts etc...

So what happened between 3.4loop3a and 3.4a .. ( i remeber that b4 i upgraded to 3.4e bcm43xx worked but really slow..
thus i moved to 3.4e hoping that there would be a reversion to loop 3.4a's config.

So if some expert in the realm of bcm43xx can help it would be apreciated...
I can imagine digging up the diffrences, but can't imagin that I'll ever have the time.
I want to wean my gf from pclos, becsaue the irq confilct even w pci=routeirq and or irqpoll means no nvidia kernel..
sabayon also crashes out when compiz in running and sometimes the wirless jsut wont connect.

oh ramble ramble...
foucault
Simple Hen

Postby foucault » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:25

works natively in 3.4 mini edition.. 32bit..
post more later..
foucault
Simple Hen

Previous

Return to Networking and Wireless