3 hours to update firefox!!!????

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Postby jerryf196 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 19:42

well dude i used the mozilla-firefox-bin and what happens is first my internet doesn't work!!! I go to the check ou the version and it's still at 2.0.0.3

When I had Ubuntu installed it told me there is an update. Do you wish to update YESS!!! and it did the rest!

VERY SIMPLE
jerryf196
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Jul 30, 2007 21:29

:roll: this isn't ubuntu - get to know a distro before you install it by reading it's documentation. Source based vs binary and there is different ways to handle updates.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Mring » Mon Jul 30, 2007 22:16

I didn't want to start a new thread since this is sort of related as far as updates go..

Wolf, I ran "emerge -uD world" last night, almost done working out all the little complications that arise from that, but I thought that updated.. well, everything except whatever is covered by 'system'?

I ask because when I saw jerryf196 say FF was still at 2.0.0.3 I ran emerge -up mozilla-firefox and saw that emerge -uD world hadn't updated FF.
Mring
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Jul 30, 2007 22:28

I'm not sure what is going on with that:
http://gentoo-portage.com/www-client/mozilla-firefox

I noticed that /etc/portage/package.use contains firefox, thunderbird, seamonkey. I took all of those out of that file. but that shouldn't effect that.

you guys are doing emerge --sync && layman -S first right?

what shows when you do a emerge -uDN mozilla-firefox ? My update auto pulled latest firefox
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Mring » Mon Jul 30, 2007 23:03

Sorry, wolf, it seems like my emerge world last night must've hit an error and stopped roughly half way through. I thought it had completed and then listed some problems, not stopped entirely before finishing. Last night it pulled 400+ things, now it's 211.

Note to self: --resume --skipfirst are clearly in the world update guide for a reason.
Mring
Baby Hen

Previous

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers