Keyboard timing so bad that installation is unusable?!

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Postby handy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:22

Retracted; it only took a second thought to realize it was of no help.

We never give up... :-)
handy
Simple Hen

Postby 2ny » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:04

A new keyboard may be more to the point?

If it's a bit old and battered, perhaps you should check the cable and/or connector?

Tony. . .
2ny
Simple Hen

Postby handy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:30

2ny wrote:A new keyboard may be more to the point?

If it's a bit old and battered, perhaps you should check the cable and/or connector?

Tony. . .

I've tried a variety of keyboards, & this is basically a newish PS/2 keyboard that I plugged in when I first struck the problem with a Ubuntu upgrade.

I am certain that the issue has nothing to do with the actual keyboard itself. It is a motherboard issue. This same keyboard & others all work fine on other distro's & versions of Ubuntu, with the exception so far of Edgy, Feisty & Sabayon 3.4a, I don't know about previous versions of Sabayon as I have not tried them.
handy
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:37

well if u find a solution we will have to mark it down in stone - very odd
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby handy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 15:26

I have found that by turning off the USB controller in the BIOS, my keyboard timing problem disappears.

I tried various combinations of USB settings switched on & off. The only one that works is switching the entire USB controller off.

Though I have not tested it, I am confidant that this will solve the problem in the 2 most recent versions of Ubuntu as well.

Dapper does not have this problem nor FreeBSD, Knoppix, Solaris, Gnusence - (Dapper), DreamLinux, I don't remember what else I've used.
handy
Simple Hen

Postby handy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:28

I have posted bug 270, regarding this hardware/kernel problem.
handy
Simple Hen

Postby handy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:19

Having installed a PCI USB card in the box, I now have USB & the ability to type, so at this point I am missing nothing.

A happy ending. :D
handy
Simple Hen

Previous

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**