Gentoo->Sabayon with disheveled laptop

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Gentoo->Sabayon with disheveled laptop

Postby skyphyr » Wed Jul 18, 2007 19:43

Hi All,

I've got a couple of machines I'm considering switching to sabayon - a laptop I definitely want to and a desktop. The desktop is running a close to bleeding edge ~amd64 gentoo, but the laptop is running an old gentoo.. really old - the kernel is 2.6.12-love sources and I've not yet checked the profile.

Anyway - the reason I'm asking rather than just installing is the laptop has been slowly dying for a few years now. It's got no dvd/cd drive. Only network (no floppy either actually). So my question is whether it's possible to convert it live from it's current state over to sabayon or if I'll need to do a tftp server and boot over the network somehow. Either way any help on how I could tackle this would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather not create an entire gentoo install running of an nfs root partition to install sabayon (as setting up all the necessary servers seems very unfun ;) )

Thanks all for the help.

Cheers,

Alan.
skyphyr
Baby Hen

Postby skyphyr » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:42

so ummm.. no ideas?
skyphyr
Baby Hen

Postby cheater1034 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 0:21

2.6.12-love is old, you've missed a lot.

Update the kernel first of all, then you can emerge -auD world :-p, it may take years to do, and it will be faster to install sabayon.
cheater1034
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**