Keyboard timing so bad that installation is unusable?!

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Keyboard timing so bad that installation is unusable?!

Postby handy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:33

Hi, this is my first post, I have been using Ubuntu for about 20 months, still somewhat a Linux beginner though.

The problem I am experiencing with SL 3.4a, I have also experienced with Ubuntu Edgy & Feisty, to the point that on this particular machine I can not use those versions & must use Dapper.

The problem is that the keyboard prints lots of letters all of a sudden, like the folllllllooooowwwwwwiiiiiing, the machine is all but useless like this. This is not a keyboard problem, I have swapped keyboards, the keyboard I am using is an M$ Multimedia. I believe that the problem is something to do with the motherboard, which is:

Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939
Athlon 64bit 3500
2gig Ram
nVidia 6800
SBLive 5:1

Someone once said that they thought that the one of the 2 raid controllers was the problem, but that's all that they said, The controllers are:

nForce3
Sil3512

It would be wonderful If I could use Sabayon on this machine, so any help is surely gratefully appreciated.
handy
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:40

you can configure the keyboard key repeat rate in Control Center - peripherals - keyboard
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby handy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 14:23

Thanks wolfden, I have done that, I did it with the 2 failed Ubuntu versions too, it does almost make the machine usable, but it is a pain due to the now obvious lag.

The keyboard timing is just way off, it rushes ahead & then lags behind.
handy
Simple Hen

Postby 2ny » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:29

I would have a look inside the BIOS Setup - possibly check for a BIOS Update?

Inside (somewhere) there is usually an option to Enable/Disable USB Legacy Support.

I think that's the term, but look around different BIOS's could possibly name it differently.

Whatever it is set to - change it and see what happens. Or try Flashing!

Tony. . .
2ny
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:41

out of curiosity paste your output of

# xset -q

also try running

# kbdrate -r 30 -d 250
and see if that helps, that should change the rate
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby handy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:17

2ny wrote:I would have a look inside the BIOS Setup - possibly check for a BIOS Update?

Inside (somewhere) there is usually an option to Enable/Disable USB Legacy Support.

I think that's the term, but look around different BIOS's could possibly name it differently.

Whatever it is set to - change it and see what happens. Or try Flashing!

Tony. . .

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your advice I flashed the BIOS & checked the USB Legacy Support which I had turned off sometime in the distant past. Unfortunately I still have the k'board timing problem.
handy
Simple Hen

Postby handy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:25

wolfden wrote:out of curiosity paste your output of

# xset -q

also try running

# kbdrate -r 30 -d 250
and see if that helps, that should change the rate

Thanks for your reply too wolden, the kbdrate command did not solve it, I had to turn off key repeat again to be able to type. The following was taken whilst the keyboard repeat was off also, hopefully that does not negatively effect the output you require.

[email protected] ~ $ xset -q
Keyboard Control:
auto repeat: off key click percent: 0 LED mask: 00000002
auto repeat delay: 500 repeat rate: 30
auto repeating keys: 00ffffffdffffbbf
fadfffdfffdfe5ef
ffffffffffffffff
ffffffffffffffff
bell percent: 50 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 100
Pointer Control:
acceleration: 5/1 threshold: 4
Screen Saver:
prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
timeout: 0 cycle: 0
Colors:
default colormap: 0x20 BlackPixel: 0 WhitePixel: 16777215
Font Path:
/home/handy/.gnome2/share/cursor-fonts,/usr/share/fonts/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/TTF/,/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/corefonts,/home/handy/.gnome2/share/fonts
Bug Mode: compatibility mode is disabled
DPMS (Energy Star):
Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 0
DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is On
Font cache:
Server does not have the FontCache Extension
File paths:
Config file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Modules path: /usr/lib/xorg/modules
Log file: /var/log/Xorg.0.log
handy
Simple Hen

Postby 2ny » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:52

Too bad - one other thing that comes to mind is that since this is a multi-media keyboaard it may require a USB2.0 connection - most USB enabled modern PC's have connectors for both standards try the other connectors because you cannot see the difference unless you have photographic memory of your motherboard manual.

Also, have you tried a PS2 keyboard?

Tony. . .
2ny
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:35

:?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby handy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:07

2ny wrote:Too bad - one other thing that comes to mind is that since this is a multi-media keyboaard it may require a USB2.0 connection - most USB enabled modern PC's have connectors for both standards try the other connectors because you cannot see the difference unless you have photographic memory of your motherboard manual.

Also, have you tried a PS2 keyboard?

Tony. . .

Sorry Tony, I should have mentioned that it is a PS/2 keyboard.

I will struggle on with key repeat turned off & live with the delay. I really like SL, & will continue using it to make sure that there are not any other problems before the kb delay forces me to buy a suitable m'board, cpu, ram & I guess I'm going to have to go to PCIex for graphics card too. It does get a bit expensive, when everything else is all right but the bloody keyboard!

Anyway thanks to all who took the time to offer suggestions, it looks like the SL community is good & kind too, & that's always a BIG bonus. :D
handy
Simple Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**