First time sabayon user needs help getting dvd to boot

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

First time sabayon user needs help getting dvd to boot

Postby Zetronman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 22:40

Hi, I have an HP dv5000 laptop. I have downloaded the SabayonLinux-x86-3.4.Loop2b.iso and then booted into Ubunto to burn it. I burned at the slowest speed (.5x) and then turned off my computer and started it again. I get the error:

"disk error 80, ax = 4280, drive 9f"

The error occurs right after I press escape when booting, then have a choice between booting from hard drive or cd/dvd drive. I choose cd/dvd, it loads for about 40 seconds and returns the above error.

I believe this may be that the Ubunto burner is ignoring the boot sector of the DVD but am not sure. I am led to this conclusion because I have tried burning it a few times. I would like to know which of the following would be best:

1. Boot into ubunto and use Grub to install sabayon. I have no idea how to do this, if this is easy to do, I would very much appreciate instruction on how to do this.

2. Use other burning software to create the DVD, if so, what should I use?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Zetronman
Baby Hen

Postby joost » Thu Jul 26, 2007 22:56

Why did you download the test version and not the stable release to start?
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby RedShirt » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:02

I would check your image first, As the poster above said, I would get the full release of 3.4a, not a test loop, but that aside...

I would check the check sum of the disk image against the download mirror's check sum. If that passes, then check it again on the whole disk once burned, they should match.

Assuming all that is a go, try VMWare or another virtual machine and load up with that, and tool around. If you can load the DVD through that, you know it was burned properly and is working. Have you booted DVDs before, or burned and booted them before, or only CDs?

Also, as for what would be best... is use your bootable DVD to load Sabayon, and use its installer, not installing via Ubuntu's grub. Sabayon's installer should make any nessecary grub or lilo entries when you install properly.
RedShirt
Simple Hen

Postby Zetronman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:50

Thanks for your advice, I will do that and can't wait to get started!

:D
Zetronman
Baby Hen

Postby podiboq » Sat Jul 28, 2007 21:45

joost wrote:Why did you download the test version and not the stable release to start?

wow, that helps solving the problem.... :twisted:
podiboq
Baby Hen

Postby joost » Sun Jul 29, 2007 0:23

podiboq wrote:
joost wrote:Why did you download the test version and not the stable release to start?

wow, that helps solving the problem.... :twisted:

It ain't an answer to solve it, it's just a question being asked.

:?
joost
Sagely Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**