uih, access to portage on live DVD??

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

uih, access to portage on live DVD??

Postby miesnerd » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:08

Hey,
Im a dual booter (ubuntu and sabayon) and im planning on making a more permanent move towards sabayon. I just love it. Part of this is learning portage. Ive read all of the advantages, how its similar to BSD, etc... PROBLEM IS.. how do I access it on the 3.4 live dvd to look around before I do the install?

I went into the terminal and typed 'portage" and "kuroo" blindly assuming one would work. Little help.
Thnx.
miesnerd
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:31

Portato is the default GUI you can use the emerge commands to access it too. You are gonna want to read up on emerge/portage

See the sabayon linux wiki for the Complete Portage Guide for more info
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby ScottishDuckHunter » Sun Jul 29, 2007 13:11

In all honesty portage is pretty easy. It only took me about 5 minutes before i tried my first world install :D

Just dont be intimidated by the documentation. Portage has a number of failsafes, you cant really go wrong with it (as long as you remember "emerge -D" and "emerge -uD") :D
ScottishDuckHunter
Simple Hen

Re: uih, access to portage on live DVD??

Postby DontPanic » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:25

miesnerd wrote:PROBLEM IS.. how do I access it on the 3.4 live dvd to look around before I do the install?

Portage and Kuroo are primarily directed at upgrading and maintaining an installed system. It's going to be difficult to get a feel for Portage and Kuroo just from booting the live DVD and playing around. You'll get much more insight into Portage and Kuroo by looking at them on Sabayon-Linux that's been installed.
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers