Sabayon Linux x86/x86-64 3.4: Stable Release

This is the place where you can find all the Sabayon Linux Press Releases

Postby Sarge » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:45

Someone's gonna die if my wireless card still doesn't work (downloading now...) :P
Sarge
Baby Hen

Postby enderandrew » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:03

The 2.6.22 kernel is supposed to have quite a few wireless driver updates. If you're upset that you don't have support for your wireless card, contact the manufacturer and ask why they don't provide drives for Linux.
enderandrew
Young Hen

Postby brodders » Fri Jul 27, 2007 13:34

OK.

:) My 3.4a iso was dl'd from a mirror um Wednesday last, and md5 sum was fine. So I burnt it.

Sab runs fine.

Next I moved the .iso over to be a upload via Ktorrent and started seeding that.

BUT 1st I did a data integrity check on the seed (Ktorrent allows you to do that) - which said that 3 segments were bad. // How come md5 is OK then? // Anyhow, I re-dl'd those and left the REVISED .iso to seed out.

Now I'm hearing that people are having problems with the torrent DL image.

Perhaps the ftp download from the mirror (the one with the good md5) was perfect and somehow the check data for the torrent is corrupt, resulting in some bad segments being sent all over?

That's just imagination - I do not know that - and it "should" not happen.

Pipe and bandwidth. I have a 250K connection and limit my upload to around 40Kbytes/sec. Above that my system goes from "almost impossible to use" to "take a bath".

My fantasies as to why this might be:

1* my firewall has a blocked port (..no)
2* the number of uses and the data-transfers to describe each segment everyone holds - is so big that the N^2 intercommunication problem just swamps everything. I'm drowning in data management overheads
3* my ISP hates my using torrents and is gapping me (that is - - throwing in service gaps after each torrent transfer to limit the delivered bandwidth - they see me as a hog so put me on a diet)
4* my hardware is useless (? 100Mbit/sec LAN to box with x2 AMD 3.8g cores and 2 gig ram)

When I DL torrents for less popular distros on this rig, I can get up to 230Kbit dl speed.

So I'm buying- reason 2.

Torrents are not good - clearly, some do well. Most do badly.

Again, this problem has been addressed in the past.
brodders
Simple Hen

Downloaded FINE

Postby tucker » Fri Jul 27, 2007 16:19

Finally it is here!!! I started the download this morning on a T1 connection...took a little while but it downloaded and seeding. For the time being I will be on a t1 uploading at approx. 230kB/s so I hope that will help everyone out.

The only concern I have with this iso is that from the previous loops it would not run the live cd environment on my laptop...couldnt find the cd or something like that. Basically couldnt find the /dev/sda or any of the later. So I hope this issue has been fixed so I can get Ubuntu of that machine and completely join the sabayon WORLD!.

NICE JOB dev group.
tucker
Baby Hen

Postby totedati » Fri Jul 27, 2007 17:35

enderandrew wrote:
totedati wrote:urrr ... man ... the best bittorrent client is AZUREUS ... period .... and with latest java jdk is blazing fast, and polished, and stable ... why you torture yourself with things of the past like μTorrent & c++ friends !?

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Probably because it is Java based, and crap.

:oops: i will respect your opinion, but for me java is fastest that a c++ application, especially when you warm up and cook a java application server, and let him to tune, read here recompile it until can not be more optimized, a java application performance for some hours ... try to do that with a static compiled language like c++ .... "ahead of time compiling" is about what all gcc dev's dream every day .... google is your friend here if you not understand what i mean ... what lack java in a broad sense? a separate java server with easy setups for normal peoples ...

you know you have today some fun with java? fire up a local java server ... let him to run and cook himself some time, 2-3 hours, then fire up you application ... blazzing fast ... then fire up another apps ... whaaaat? no two stupid java proceses to eat memory? happy days ... but NO, this should be done in a sunblade server, lot of cash will flow now, with fine setups and customized and optimized apps that can be done only by sesoned java gurus, jboss will pop up here, not to you, little and poor mortals ... stupid dreams from sun ... you know how well was working the cash'in drugs pipe ... and here we are now, a lot of people thinking that java is slooow and a pile of crap, and somewhat incompatible with linux, surely hard to use ....

check here if you don't believe me:
http://xito.sourceforge.net/
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby myth » Fri Jul 27, 2007 18:31

Hi, i'm new to Saboyan, and i like it very much from the forst moment...but...

I have a problem: i downloaded the dvd x86_64 3.4a, installed it (no problems), but now lot's of programs don't open!
How is it possible?

My system is this: http://www.sysprofile.de/id9057

Firefox opens...pidgin, too....but i can't open the console...or kmail....????

When i klick on their icon i see loading / opening, or however...and then nothing , it disappears...

H E L P ! ! !
myth
Baby Hen

Postby totedati » Fri Jul 27, 2007 18:34

brodders wrote:BUT 1st I did a data integrity check on the seed (Ktorrent allows you to do that) - which said that 3 segments were bad. // How come md5 is OK then? // Anyhow, I re-dl'd those and left the REVISED .iso to seed out.

and

brodders wrote:Perhaps the ftp download from the mirror (the one with the good md5) was perfect and somehow the check data for the torrent is corrupt, resulting in some bad segments being sent all over?

That's just imagination - I do not know that - and it "should" not happen.

you people are incredible !!! you seed the iso with bad checksums!? what you think that torrent iso is a some sort of virtual bits!? IS HERE !! Living to you hdd !!! Check the iso THAT IS SEEDED BY KTORRENT with md5sum AND ONLY WHEN the iso is CORRECT let him to seed. Otherwise dump him to the bin, man rm is your friend here ... what you mean with REVISED .iso !?

brodders wrote:1* my firewall has a blocked port (..no)
2* the number of uses and the data-transfers to describe each segment everyone holds - is so big that the N^2 intercommunication problem just swamps everything. I'm drowning in data management overheads
3* my ISP hates my using torrents and is gapping me (that is - - throwing in service gaps after each torrent transfer to limit the delivered bandwidth - they see me as a hog so put me on a diet)
4* my hardware is useless (? 100Mbit/sec LAN to box with x2 AMD 3.8g cores and 2 gig ram)

reason 3 for sure ... nothing is free as a free beer, trust me ... :D

brodders wrote:Torrents are not good - clearly, some do well. Most do badly.

is not good for you and other two - tree unlucky guys ... most of us are happy ...
you give me a ideea ... to make a pool and see how many of us are happy following the torrent way, and how many was forced to download from http or ftp mirrors because they have a unreal torrent speed ...
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby sicknessjb » Fri Jul 27, 2007 22:22

my download finished this morning, left the home pc uploading @ 25-28kb/s
my work station is uploading @ 325kb/s. this should be good for now.

btw i tested the new release today spent around 3 hours missin with it. it really isnt for my dell 4400 spare desktop here. throuble with video sound network lol i'll stick this on my laptop first thing tomorrow morning where it belongs 8) thanks again dev & beta testers
sicknessjb
Simple Hen

Postby kerneloftruth » Sat Jul 28, 2007 0:12

@enderandrew:

if you're having problems with your laptop, then please post your hardware specs, either in this forum or forums.gentoo.org that the sabayon people get an idea where the bad hardware might be :wink:
kerneloftruth
Baby Hen

Postby kerneloftruth » Sat Jul 28, 2007 0:14

sorry for this double-post but where is the edit post-functionality ???

many thanks for this great release, btw

I think I'm going to convert my dad's laptop from (k)ubuntu to sabayon / gentoo 8)
kerneloftruth
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Press Releases