3.4a Install Size?

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

3.4a Install Size?

Postby ToneDeaf » Thu Jul 26, 2007 22:59

Hello all, I just ordered a Thinkpad t61 with a 60 gb hard drive. w00t! Anyway, I am wondering how much space a Sabayon 3.4a installation would take up minus the 3d games (I only play doom) If anybody knows how much space a Vista Home Basic install takes up for comparison purposes, that would be great also.
~Tonedeaf

PS: Is it traitorous to buy a computer with Windows when you have similar alternatives without it, even if the computer you do get is a Thinkpad? Please Respond.
ToneDeaf
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Jul 26, 2007 23:04

I would do no less than 20GB if you want to be able to play. Install -3D Games is just under 9GB, think it was 8.5GB but you will need space to work with it.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby ToneDeaf » Thu Jul 26, 2007 23:21

Install -3D Games is just under 9GB

Holy Penguins, Batman!!!!!!!!! Did I read that right? install without 3d games is 9 GIGS? WOW! Does 60 gb still sound like enough? I usually do a 2 gig swap partition. Lets say I split my drive into two partitions: / and /home. What would be good sizes for these partitions? I need room for homework, 700 megs of doom wads, and other stuff that escapes my mind.
Please Respond,
~Tonedeaf
ToneDeaf
Young Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Jul 26, 2007 23:51

/boot = 128mb
swap = 2gb or 4gb as you like.
/ or root = minm 12gb if splitting /home off
If not spliting the remaining part of the 20gb total space used after /boot and swap is out of 20gb for above config to root part.

Or total of 20gb for all this including play space is more than enough just make sure the tmp folders get's emptied once in a while as well as portage clean up / autoclean old package and or the stuff you do not need.
Should with updates and other stuff avg about 16gb max on a avg day , then you can clean out tmp and portage if needed form the 16gb down to 12gb / 13gb or this is how it ended up on mine.

I have a 60gb sata laptop hd with xp pro on 20gb and 20gb used by SL + extra space as archive on 1 laptop. Nothing more needed here space wise.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby ToneDeaf » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:42

I'm not dual booting, but thank you. In fact, one of the reasons I am getting a laptop is so I can run Sabayon without my brother complaining (my desktop doubles as the family gaming machine). I will likely be splitting off / as 20gb and 38gb as /home. the remaining 2gb will be swap. I've never found the need for a /boot partition, what would be some advantages?
~Tonedeaf
ToneDeaf
Young Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Jul 27, 2007 19:24

I think the original reasoning for that was :
If you spend several hours compiling a good stable kernel then this can be safe should the root partition get damaged then the loss is not that much. Now we have faster pc's so it is not that great a loss as the user folder /home is likely the more important one to protect or keep seperate.
If making /home then the root install would take up less space not sure how much but portage is in /usr/portage and this can be 2gb - 4gb if not frequently cleaned.

It is a bad habit I have to do this /boot .

My next install I am going to do this. Have 1 stable root and one playing testing bug finding root see below. 2 installed copies of SL 3.4a
What is a good idea :
/boot
Swap 2gb
/home rest of the space
root 14gb Stable install
testing root 14gb play pen / testing / modding.

What ?
1st root is stable install + minm updates / fall back to if needed. ( working backup )
2nd root is the stable + updates + testing and can be messed up / play ground partition.
The /boot is needed in a case like this as loosing a root partition or sharing on another testing 2nd root and it gets messed up or formated you loose the boot part. that was on 2nd root part if no orriginal seperate boot partition.
Swap is shared.

If you do this type of setup like above then the 2nd root part. you would likely only install base + games or base + office and once you have a good installed program here and figured out it's flaws / tricks then install the new programs you want and have found stable to the stable root part.

Like putting your money in the bank and have some in your pocket , same idea , you can loose $50 from your pocket and be save but annoyed and still have plenty in the bank instead of loosing everything at once.

Hope this gives you some ideas as putting more partitions than the 4 above for linux you end up with too small a partition for something or one that fills up too fast.

Might have to make sure there is maintanance type programs running checking and emptying old unused garbage / temp files etc .

Best of luck shout if you need more info
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**