2nd version in a row with resolution issues

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

2nd version in a row with resolution issues

Postby RedShirt » Thu Jul 26, 2007 14:09

My monitor is a widescreen Viewsonic LCD with a default resolution of 1440x900 being used over DVI. Usually any issues I find in one version of sabayon are remedied when I get to the next. I was dissapointed, as this time, my resolution issue wasn't resolved.

So 3.3 flat out wouldn't boot for me, went to black screen, and it ended up that I needed to hardset a resolution smaller than my screen just to get it to boot.

3.4a did better as it actually was able to boot and load, but has like a 1900 by 1200 resolution(meaning I am missing a few inches vertically and horizontally).

I just wanted to point out that I think the automatic hardeware detection for widescreen monitors (or maybe just the ones over DVI, or even just my Viewsonic) still need a bit of loving for the next version.
RedShirt
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Jul 26, 2007 14:11

so why not use the res=1440x900 cheat code on boot up??
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby RedShirt » Thu Jul 26, 2007 22:30

wolfden wrote:so why not use the res=1440x900 cheat code on boot up??

I do, after learning about it last time. However, I am a fairly advanced user that has done base gentoo installs(3rd stage) so I have no qualms whipping in cheat codes at boot until I install. I do however, find it slightly annoying.

However, many less experienced users won't even know how to do this, and the goal over time towards installation is a painless automatic setup, right? I just wanted to mention it was still happening so further development could lead toward a totally clean boot. This in no way stops me from liking Sabayon as my distro of choice, but it may turn off new coming potential Sabayon users.
RedShirt
Simple Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**