Anaconda problem still there [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Postby edgevision » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:45

I hope this gets fixed. I'm going to try it tonight.
edgevision
Growing Hen

Postby edgevision » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:39

Pulling my hair out over this. Here's what I did.

Downloaded the GParted Live CD. Booted in fine. GParted could delete and create partitions but could not create filesystems inside those partitions, no matter what type they were. Ext3, NTFS, swap, doesn't matter. None worked (kept getting /dev/sda is apparently in use by the system; will not make a filesystem here!) Using the same live CD, I followed WarraWarra's instructions earlier in this thread and ran cfdisk. It was successful in creating ext3 and swap partitions AND formatted them accordingly. Rebooted into it again, checked GParted. The partitions had been created and the filesystems looked fine.

Booted in to the SL x86 3.4 loop3 DVD. Updated the installer upon boot. Noted that in Storage Media, my filesystems were available, but could not be mounted (device busy.) Installer detected the partitions and recognized them no problem, I indicated for the installer to use the existing partitions without formatting, it complied. As soon as I got past the root password dialog (when it attempts to check the filesystems/format if necessary) I got the swap initialization error.

So now even though I got them formatted properly, the installer still won't initialize the swap..

This is driving me crazy.
edgevision
Growing Hen

Postby phzi » Tue Jul 24, 2007 21:06

I'm starting to realize that this isn't actually an anaconda problem, but a deeper issue with disk management manifesting itself during the install.

The disk is "in use by the system" whenever anything file system related is attempted (although... altering the partition table is possible!). Formats and swapon's both fail citing the disk being busy.

It also seems to be fairly unique to Sabayon... Ubuntu actually installed cleanly (ewww... ubuntu). I was able to format the partitions in Gentoo (although Gentoo couldn't load X, and I wasn't in the mood to play around with it).

edgevision: what motherboard/chipset (or other hdd controller) are you using? sata or IDE? We seem to be having the exact same problem, so many there's hardware in common. I'm running:

Asus P5K: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3& ... odelmenu=1
Intel® P35/ICH9 chipset
ICH9 : http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/da ... 316972.htm

Any chance you're also using an ICH9 chipset?
phzi
Simple Hen

Postby edgevision » Wed Jul 25, 2007 13:30

phzi,

Got your message last night. I will have to check it out. It's not my system, so I don't have direct access to it immediately. Currently I'm downloading 3.4 final and hoping that will work out the issue.

I have plans to work on this machine tonight so I will open 'er up and give you the specs. Maybe between the two of us we can solve this issue once and for all.
edgevision
Growing Hen

Postby totedati » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:27

phzi wrote:The disk is "in use by the system" whenever anything file system related is attempted (although... altering the partition table is possible!). Formats and swapon's both fail citing the disk being busy.

this is the part that is disturbing me a lot ... a livedvd session should not do that, until i tell it otherwise .... what i remember now is that all recent livedvd distro try to be smart and when you begin a livedvd session, they try to scan the hdd in the hope to find a swap partition ... if they find one, is good to use it from the first time ... i like this behavior ... for a newbie, knowing little about how livemagic work, can help to have a better live session experience .... but, when you actually install it to hdd, auto swap mount help you till to swap initialization ... here you see the complain that swap can not be formated or ititialized because is in use already .... and anaconda like all good linux apps, quit and leave you scratching your heads and wondering what is happening, and where is the problem ....

hmmm ... maybe a upgraded noswap cheat code can be more useful, like don't use swap now, till tell you otherwise, not a don't use swap at all behavior ...
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby edgevision » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:40

phzi wrote:It also seems to be fairly unique to Sabayon... Ubuntu actually installed cleanly (ewww... ubuntu). I was able to format the partitions in Gentoo (although Gentoo couldn't load X, and I wasn't in the mood to play around with it).

OK, but remember that similar problems are occurring using the official GParted Live CD. In both live environments, the system is unable to mount the drives (device busy) and consequently cannot write filesystems to new partitions created.

I'll post motherboard & other hardware specs next time I work on that PC, any day now.

totedati wrote:what i remember now is that all recent livedvd distro try to be smart and when you begin a livedvd session, they try to scan the hdd in the hope to find a swap partition ... if they find one, is good to use it from the first time ...

What if there aren't any partitions on the drive at all though? I have been able to successfully delete all of the partitions using the GParted Live CD, and reboot into the Sabayon DVD, and still get the exact same errors.
edgevision
Growing Hen

Postby totedati » Thu Jul 26, 2007 14:17

edgevision wrote:What if there aren't any partitions on the drive at all though? I have been able to successfully delete all of the partitions using the GParted Live CD, and reboot into the Sabayon DVD, and still get the exact same errors.

if is true, no doubt is a wrong and unintended behavior ... time for lnxay and his team to scratch their heads, and see what is wrong here ... :shock: :shock: :shock:
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby phzi » Thu Jul 26, 2007 21:31

totedati wrote:if is true, no doubt is a wrong and unintended behavior ... time for lnxay and his team to scratch their heads, and see what is wrong here ... :shock: :shock: :shock:

There's definitely something wrong, and it doesn't seem purely related to anaconda, because the swapon and mkfs commands errors out as well. I can also confirm that it has nothing to do with partitions already on the disks. Something is just messed that makes the system think the device is in use (a background process doing something random with /dev/sd*)?

Also,I have tested existing NTFS partitions (on the same controller), which can be mounted and read without problem.

edgevision can hopefully shed some light on if it is a chipset/controller related problem.
phzi
Simple Hen

Postby edgevision » Thu Jul 26, 2007 22:52

The chipset on that board is an Intel 82801EB ICH5, so yes, our chipsets are very closely related (as they're both 82801 series.)
edgevision
Growing Hen

Postby KalteKotze » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:25

I tried to install on a SATA-Drive attached to a nForce4-SATA-Controller. Had the same problem, but with disabling the "dodmraid"-argument on the boot menu it worked for me. Don't know if this might help.
KalteKotze
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**