3.4a Xserver boots but no login screen in MacBook Pro

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

3.4a Xserver boots but no login screen in MacBook Pro

Postby Fuz2y » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:29

Greetings and love! xD

I'm using a MacBook Pro with ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 256mb

Everything runs (I did a text install, cause graphical install and livecd have the same problem ->) except when it is starting the xserver, I tried every boot option but when it gets to the part where it enters the Xserver , and appears the when art meets inspiration background, but the mouse icon keep spinning and nothing more happens , right where it should appear the login screen.

I normaly press ALT+F1 when booting, and every module loads OK, and Xserver seems to start and to be working OK, but what is causing the login screen not to appear ?

I tried 3.4 Loop3 same problem, I thought this issue would be resolved in 3.4a, but unfortunantly is has not beem fixed.

I realy want to use Sabayon! Help Please !?
Fuz2y
Baby Hen

Postby XrRydr » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:05

For what it's worth, the same thing is happening with my regular macbook, except I can't consistently get the boot menu to work. I have been able to use it twice, but every other time I just have to wait 30 seconds for it start the livedvd, which always has the same error has originally described, so I haven't done a text installation yet.
XrRydr
Baby Hen

Postby rand.a » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:02

when you get that empty X session, press ctrl-alt-f1, then login to the terminal and do the following to fix it:

become root first off, 'su -'

then edit /etc/conf.d/xdm 'nano -w /etc/conf.d/xdm'

change it from kdm to gdm at the bottom, then ctrl-x and say yes to save changes

now restart the login manager '/etc/conf.d/xdm restart'

you should now have a login window
rand.a
Growing Hen

Postby XrRydr » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:40

I can edit the file, except when I try to restart the login manager it says permission denied even after the 'su -' command. As I tried to shut it down it had some message about pressing ctrl-D, I did and it actually restarted the gui and I got to the login screen. I logged into both gnome and kde, but they weren't correct in a sense. It was just the defualt desktop. Gnome had a plain background and kde wanted me to go through a wizard to set it up and it had a blue background, not the sabayon red. The big thing was that neither of them had a way to install sabayon. I was excited with what I saw though, sabayon was able to not only start out in the correct resolution, it's also the only distro I've ever used that had wireless working without me having to install anything extra, and it looked like there was a lot of cool programs to use, I'll be excited when this can work. I tried to use compiz, but there was some error message and so that didn't work, it probably has something to do with how the 3d desktop wizard that normally came up like it did for me in 3.3 didn't this time. I really hoping there's a way to get this to work. Thanks.
XrRydr
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:47

su
enter password
nano -w /etc/conf.d/xdm

that has to work

is your password being accepted?
wolfden
Sharecropper

SOLVED!

Postby Fuz2y » Thu Jul 26, 2007 18:29

Yeah! it worked!!! changed to gdm, and did a manual restart (shutdown -r now) :)

Big Thank you!! =)
Fuz2y
Baby Hen

Postby XrRydr » Thu Jul 26, 2007 22:59

Well I was able to do a text installation and changed it to gdm and I can boot into it. If I go into kde, I can't figure out how get the wireless working. I'm more familiar with gnome so I tried that and wireless worked no problem. I tried to fix the time on the clock, I set it to update with the servers and after I do that it tells me that volume control crashed unexpectedly and it recommended reloading the panels, whether I reload or not it exits gnome and boots into a console like setup where it asks me to login. When I try to login it tells me that it's the wrong login without me even pressing enter and indents the line and asks me for the login again. Are there any known fixes for this?

Edit: I figured how to get wireless working with kde and the haven't been any other major issues with kde, no crashes or anything, so I'll try to learn kde. Thanks for the help.
XrRydr
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**