2nd version in a row with resolution issues

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

RedShirt
Simple Hen

2nd version in a row with resolution issues

Post by RedShirt » Thu Jul 26, 2007 14:09

My monitor is a widescreen Viewsonic LCD with a default resolution of 1440x900 being used over DVI. Usually any issues I find in one version of sabayon are remedied when I get to the next. I was dissapointed, as this time, my resolution issue wasn't resolved.

So 3.3 flat out wouldn't boot for me, went to black screen, and it ended up that I needed to hardset a resolution smaller than my screen just to get it to boot.

3.4a did better as it actually was able to boot and load, but has like a 1900 by 1200 resolution(meaning I am missing a few inches vertically and horizontally).

I just wanted to point out that I think the automatic hardeware detection for widescreen monitors (or maybe just the ones over DVI, or even just my Viewsonic) still need a bit of loving for the next version.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Thu Jul 26, 2007 14:11

so why not use the res=1440x900 cheat code on boot up??

RedShirt
Simple Hen

Post by RedShirt » Thu Jul 26, 2007 22:30

wolfden wrote:so why not use the res=1440x900 cheat code on boot up??
I do, after learning about it last time. However, I am a fairly advanced user that has done base gentoo installs(3rd stage) so I have no qualms whipping in cheat codes at boot until I install. I do however, find it slightly annoying.

However, many less experienced users won't even know how to do this, and the goal over time towards installation is a painless automatic setup, right? I just wanted to mention it was still happening so further development could lead toward a totally clean boot. This in no way stops me from liking Sabayon as my distro of choice, but it may turn off new coming potential Sabayon users.