?? Vista + Partitions Read Here ??

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

?? Vista + Partitions Read Here ??

Postby WarraWarra » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:05

To keep Vista + install Sabayon = Do not use Gparted or any partition program except Vista partition program. Then do below list.

1. If you have Vista and want to keep it + create space for linux / Sabayon then use the vista disk editor / partition program to resize it.
2. Once inside SL live cd / dvd you can use the installer part of Sabayon to partition and select manual.
3. Then use the free space created with Vista partition program for your linux partitions.

Anyway always make backup's to dvd's / usb devices or similar before messing with partitions just in case.
There should be a post here about Vista and how precisely to do it.

Normal partitions for linux = 128mb /boot , double ram upto 2gb swap , rest of space for root or " / "
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby totedati » Sun Jul 22, 2007 13:48

so ... look like vista manage to break again all standards and screw any atempt to shrink it to a hdd tinny box ... i wonder ... can read and write with linux ntfs drivers to a 'genuine' vista nfts partition, i mean created with vista for vista in install step? ... look like to shrink it, is no more a option ... i suspect is all about an enhanced and better ntfs version here ... what is your experience?
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sun Jul 22, 2007 21:09

Put my copies of vista in the shreder as no one wanted it for free , not even if a new core 2 duo computer came with it.
I just posted this here as a guide that someone else had success with.
If anyone finds more info or can do a propper guide send it so we can add it / use it as default.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby totedati » Sun Jul 22, 2007 22:38

WarraWarra wrote:Put my copies of vista in the shreder

congratulations ... now you are one of my many heroes ....

and is just my quess that ntfs in vista is just a better nfts and somewhat incompatible than in winxp, like all vista bell's, but not have time to test myself this teory, and you post spark my curiosity ...
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby MoonDoggie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 23:55

i feel that the one big problem that most people are gonna have with partitioning their vista drive is that if there's already data on the hdd, not much space is gonna be allocated. IMO, the best thing to do, which i did myself, is just back up one's data to some dvds and do a clean install of vista. after that just go into your computer manager, right click on your main drive, drive C i guess in most cases, and shrink that sucker. after that just pop in the live CD or DVD, update the installer, and install to hard drive. i just set the sabayon installer to install it automatically but made sure to check the setting saying not to overwrite existing partitions or something like that, and it took care of the rest. after that, except for occasional freezes and what seemed to be a laggy first few boots, sabayon 3.3 was working like a charm. but after reading the original post, i am left with a few questions, one being: when i installed sabayon, it didn't make 3 separate partitions but only two. one being the boot section, and the other being root. i don't remember seeing anything about doubling ram up to 2gb swap. is that normal?
MoonDoggie
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Tue Jul 24, 2007 0:22

It is not needed but just good so that if your ram fills up it uses this swap space as extra slower memory. Boot partition is nice if you have it ext3 and then you have lvm , ext4 or something else as the root partition but for normal use not that serious.

You can install with only 1 partition being root and nothing else.
We just do this for ease and or savety in the long run especially if you have a nice kernel to boot from and the install gets meesed up you have easy access to the kernel. Like having a cd /dvd backup/.
Swap = same as windows pagefile.

Swap space can be calculated as same size or double that of the installed ram .
Example:
I have 512mb in other laptop but want linux on there so I allocate 1024mb or 2048mb swap , will likely never use it or barely but working with 10+ windows open and compiling it helps to have swap.

This might make more sense:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h ... art1_chap4
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Main_Page
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/wiki/index. ... =Main_Page
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby NasT » Tue Jul 24, 2007 22:41

Hi,

I just installed Sabayon 3.4, but I didn't install grub, because it would erase the Vista bootloader in the MBR.

How do I proceed now to add grub and boot Sabayon?

Thx and grtz
NasT
Baby Hen

Postby dyingmuppet » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:23

I would say you do have to install the grub loader and let grub load vista if you ever wanted to :? but I'm not that aware about Vista's mbr settings e.o.
btw... Why would anybody ever need vista?? especially when there is a free operating system that has more eyecandy than vista (and you can switch the eyecandy off if you want to play a game to let it run faster) and it is faster, better and USEABLE :P :D just use Sabayon :P

To re-edit your boot loader restart the live-dvd and run install again then sellect update > Boot configuration only and then set your boot configuration right with Sabayon and ?vista

grtzz DM
dyingmuppet
Growing Hen

Postby NasT » Wed Jul 25, 2007 21:25

Hi,

I tried that, but I can't to get grub right for Sabayon. It adds grub in the /disk/... location and at boot nothing happens. I get:

Determing root device...
Block device /dev/disk/by-uuid/2a9b6ebc-6a0c-4cb1-aee1-56a668452f0a is not a valid root device///
Please specify a device to boot, or 'shell' for a shell...
boot () ::

and nothing happens.

Who can help me out.

Grtz
NasT
Baby Hen

Postby totedati » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:47

hello, i see you cringe to help, but i do not have so much time to help you right now, but i try this thing, to help a user in the past, you can see this tread http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7688
and try yourself to apply, customized to your situation, my advices from that thread ... is true that is not easy, is a loong thread .... maybe look a little to rude but not have time to help you more now .... sorry ...

by the way, this http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/grub/grub.htm, and this http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4622 can help you also ....

the problem is that troubles like this is in general very personalized to a particular setup problem ... and this means a lot of exercises of you mind, a lot of RTFM, and do you homework blablabla ....

and if you are a linux newbie, with not so many time, this can be a problem .... and lack of time is even more a problem for seasoned linux gurus ....

so ... long story short ... go figure yourself .... but with a twist ... :oops: :oops: :oops:
totedati
Technological Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**