My Unofficial Guide to a Stable System World Update

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Almost

Postby Red Knuckles » Mon Jul 16, 2007 15:00

I have almost finished a successful world update of 3.3 mini x86-64. I've done emerge -e system and world and emerge -uN world and -uDN world till there are no packages left. Problem is when I run 'revdep-rebuild -X' [revdep-rebuild errors at unvalid package atom'=app-emulation/-MERGING-emul-linux-x86-xlibs-10.0'] I get this error:

!!! Cannot write to '/usr/lib32/opengl/xorg-x11'.
!!! Please check permissions and directories for broken symlinks.
!!! You may start the merge process again by using ebuild:
!!! ebuild /usr/portage/app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs/emul-linux-x86-xlibs-10.0.ebuild merge
!!! And finish by running this: env-update

More:

# chown /usr/lib32/opengl/xorg-x11 0666
chown: `/usr/lib32/opengl/xorg-x11': invalid user
# cd /usr/lib32/opengl
# ls
nvidia xorg-x11
# cd xorg-x11
bash: cd: xorg-x11: No such file or directory

Can anyone help me figure this out?
SL 3.4a AMD64, Gentoo2007.0 AMD64 - ASUS M2NPV-VM - AMD64 X2 4800+ 2.5 Ghz - 4X1GB DDR2 800 - GeForce 6150 256MB - 2X320GB
Red Knuckles
Growing Hen

Postby Red Knuckles » Mon Jul 16, 2007 15:36

I just crossed my fingers and removed that file and 'revdep-rebuild -X' is running and installed that app '=app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs-10.0' and is now on the ever popular emerge of 'sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2' for the 3rd time. I hope the emerge of '=app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs-10.0' reinstalled that file if it is needed. Gulp. I was just afraid to reboot without running 'revdep-rebuild' or 'revdep-rebuild -X'. If I do this again [system world update] it'll be from frexh install of most current DVD.
SL 3.4a AMD64, Gentoo2007.0 AMD64 - ASUS M2NPV-VM - AMD64 X2 4800+ 2.5 Ghz - 4X1GB DDR2 800 - GeForce 6150 256MB - 2X320GB
Red Knuckles
Growing Hen

Re: My Unofficial Guide to a Stable System World Update

Postby glpnet » Wed Jul 18, 2007 16:04

wolfden wrote:First let me say that there is a several ways to doing things on SL. I am not saying that my way is the best way by any means. This is simply my way of how I do things with a fresh install to make a stable system.

First thing - I alway buy my hardware that I know is linux supported and has good drivers. So get to know your hardware, I can't say that enough as it will save you a lot of headaches.

DO NOTE - I can not tell you what you can safely remove from your system as you need to know your hardware and what is safe to uninstall, remove from config files and remove from kernel. I am going to try and stay very basic here so you can get the idea.

Fresh install and everything is working great so now what?
----Well I head to the /etc/make.conf file and edit that thing to my liking and double checking things over. I remove any unnecessary things. Remember to edit these files you must be root. If you like nano you can simple go into Konsole and punch in su than enter your password. You can edit the file by doing
Code: Select all
nano -w /etc/make.conf
or if you simply must have a GUI you can go to konsole and enter
kdesu konqueror
and when the box pops up, enter your password, wait a bit and a new window will come up. In that window you are root to everything and can edit anything. Pretty simple so far right? If you need help figuring out what options are available in the make.conf than refer to the Gentoo Handbook and Wiki often.

----Ok, so now that I got that set I like to head to the kernel and add to it and remove things I don't need by doing in konsole:
# zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/src/config

# genkernel --kernel-config=/usr/src/config --menuconfig --bootloader=grub --gensplash=sabayon all

or if you use lvm do: - noted for waltercool
# genkernel --kernel-config=/usr/src/config --menuconfig --bootloader=grub --gensplash=sabayon --lvm2 all

note the # means you must be root, don't actually use the #
This step is not necessary if you don't care that your kernel is big. I always need to enable some sound stuff and you may need to enable drivers, again, this is where knowing where your hardware is very important. You remove the wrong thing and your puter will not boot. Skip this step if you have a funny look on your face at this time.

----Now some of you may totally think I am crazy here but as far as software removal I do that later. Yes I know I can remove software at this time that I will never use and save time when I recompile the system, but this is my unofficial stable system and I know it will work cause I have done it several times. So with that being said I want to now recompile just the system. Now I prefer to do :

# emerge -e system || until emerge --resume --skipfirst; do emerge --resume --skipfirst; done

If you notice I have not done an emerge --sync yet and I don't want to do that yet, that will come later. So now several hours are going to go by. This a great thing to do when you are about to go to bed. After that is done, I like to do the world recompile:
# emerge -e world || until emerge --resume --skipfirst; do emerge --resume --skipfirst; done

do note once again that I have not emerge --sync yet and this is going to be another lengthy process. You may do both commands at once by simply doing:
# emerge -e system || until emerge --resume --skipfirst; do emerge --resume --skipfirst; done && emerge -e world || until emerge --resume --skipfirst; do emerge --resume --skipfirst; done

I just like to break it up.

----So now I have finished recompiling everything and my processor is going Dude! Well now I punch in:
# emerge --sync

than
# layman -S

to update my portage tree and overlays. First time syncs on SL are slow, I promise they will get faster after the first time. Once that is done I punch in:
# emerge -upDN --world

this will pull up just under 400 packages, WOW!! Well lets get the show on the road.
# emerge -uN --world

now you look at that and go what happened to the D ?, again this is my guide and that will come later, but if you want you may leave the D in there. Now you are probably sitting there thinking I thought SL doesn't recommend a world update. My feelings are this: no you don't need to, but SL 3.3 makes it a piece of cake to world update. Pre 3.3 I don't recommend, as you will be forever swamped with recompiling. Now with the world update you are going to run into bumps and this is where reading the ERROR MESSAGES is going to come to be Very Important. If you listen to what portage is telling you and use the gentoo bugzilla and gentoo forums for searching you can usually find the solution. Once a package fails I simply:
# emerge --resume --skipfirst

to continue on. I like to do this method to see what packages are failing. If you don't care:
# emerge -uN world || until emerge --resume --skipfirst; do emerge --resume --skipfirst; done

than it will auto skip and keep on going till finished. Now I don't try and fix any packages till it is completely done. Once it is done I look look at
#emerge -upN --world

and go thru each package and install it with the fix needed to get it to install. At this time I will simple remove any packages that have failed that I know I don't need. So now we are done and
# emerge -upN --world

shows no packages left in it, time I fire up
# emerge -upDN --world

YAY more packages to compile! The amount of packages won't be that much. So we wait for that to finish and I usually fix the errors as it goes along since it isn't very many packages. Now we have the entire system rebuilt, well almost. It's time to run:
# revdep-rebuild

and if that fails do:
# revdep-rebuild -X

It will find more packages to recompile! Your processor is probably plotting some sort of revenge against you at this time. So now what? Well, you are gonna have some config files that are screaming for an update. Now I like to use:
# etc-update

There is several ways to update config files, this is my way of doing it. So I punch in etc-update and many will auto merge, which is great with me. I look over the remaining ones left and determine if they are safe or not to update. Off the top of my head I believe all changes in 3.3 are safe, but look and if you are unsure, don't do it. So we have recompiled everything after making changes to system, updated the config files. Are we done? Do we dare reboot? Let's live dangerously and reboot, I mean a reinstall is only 40 minutes to do anyway right?

----So we rebooted, prayed and we made it back to our Desktop!! So now, I like all the multimedia features the web has to offer, so I want to experience it all, so I open up my konsole again and punch in:
USE="gtk quicktime divx gmedia realmedia wmp win32codecs nsplugins firefox xvid" emerge mplayerplug-in

Yes, I know you can add this to your package.use file, but this is my guide and you should add it to your /etc/portage/package.use file for future use. Now I can sit back and view all the goodness of web multimedia! I hate totem handeling the web plugins cause it sucks at doing so. I don't uninstall totem I simply move all the totem plugins out of the plugins folder:
/usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins
and put em in
/usr/lib/nsbrowser
Just incase I ever want to put them back.

----Alrighty than, we are world updated now. You can continue to stay world update and SL updated with the overlay by:
# emerge -uD --world

and
# layman -S

----Conclusion - my systems are rock solid no matter what I throw at it. It's a long process which is fine with me cause the results are worth it. Do keep in mind that it will take less time with the mini as there is less to deal with. It will require thinking and deciphering and good abilities of effective searching. No I can not help you world update your system as I have no idea what hardware you use or what you use your computer for. Is there a chance you may hose your system? Of course there is! It shouldn't happen if you pay attention. I can't stress enough to read the Gentoo Handbook, look at the Gentoo Wiki, look at the Gentoo Forum, look at the SL Wiki, look at the SL Forum and don't forget Google, bookmark them all!

That's it in a nutshell and I take NO and I mean NO Responsibilities for a hosed system You milage is going to vary of course to hardware and software you use. All typos and grammer mistakes are mine, ehehehehhe

Input is welcomed and I will answer questions if I know the answers

HAPPY COMPILING!

Im getting this violation
-------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE = "/var/log/sandbox/sandbox-net-wireless_-_ndiswrapper-1.47-6172.log"

open_wr: /usr/src/linux-2.6.21-sabayon-r2/-.gcda
how do I read this?
I tryed to find the file but I cant find anything that says .gcda
glpnet
Young Hen

Postby jimonyzangs » Wed Jul 18, 2007 16:59

RedKnuckles

/usr/lib32/opengl/xorg-x11 isnt meant to be a symlink (i found this out the hard way too :twisted: )
delete it and create a folder in /usr/lib32/opengl called xorg-x11

then emerge or revdep-rebuild
jimonyzangs
Baby Hen

Postby smolloy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:58

So when 3.4 comes out, is there any point in us world-updaters installing it, or do we already have it courtesy of "emerge --sync && emerge --world"??
AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 7300 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 2X250GB SATAII
smolloy
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:59

if you are world updated - you are technically 3.4+ as you will have newer packages than those that get the 3.4 final
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby smolloy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:20

wolfden wrote:if you are world updated - you are technically 3.4+ as you will have newer packages than those that get the 3.4 final

That's what I thought. I assume 3.4 comes with a lot of new packages that are not on 3.3 -- will I get those if I "layman -S" as well as syncing emerge? In other words, will my package list contain all the 3.4 goodies?
AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 7300 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 2X250GB SATAII
smolloy
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:45

emerge --sync && layman -S gets you the latest everything - So the packages you have on your system are always current and if a new package comes out that lxnay makes, you can simply install it from SL overlay.

The only thing you won't get is like the innovations implemented. Like 3.4 has compiz-fusion already setup and working. You will have to set that up yourself if you want it. That is just one example.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby smolloy » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:38

Despite the above exchange, I went ahead and installed 3.4e (my 3.3 was getting a little flakey)!

Would you recommend doing world update with 3.4e ?
Are there any pitfalls of updating 3.4e ?
Your guide was written for 3.3 -- would you give the same instructions for 3.4e ?
smolloy
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:21

The guide is written for any version - different version will experience different bumps in the road. I have my 3.4e world updated and in the process of 3.4f world update. If you want to install once and never have to reinstall, world update is only way to go, but you got to know what you are doing.
wolfden
Sharecropper

PreviousNext

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers