I REALLY want to use this but have some problems

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Postby catinthebox » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:55

well, it kinda helped, thanks for the effort, but i still ahev the, even in sabayon, in storage media, theres no mounted drives, and i jsut downlaoded the wireless driver from the site, and theres no .inf files, and when i install it again, it extracts to my programfiles, like i have it now, and theres no inf in there, i cant find this inf
catinthebox
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Jul 13, 2007 22:29

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductP ... _Id=179211
OR
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductP ... _Id=179753

Is any of this your model ?

I see for this top link one it has 4 versions , yours is version at the drivers list thingy ?

Quick search on google = link below :
http://www.google.com/search?q=belkin+u ... =firefox-a

This is a google search link for the "belkin usb wireless linux" had these results = F5D6050n and F5D7050 models .

The problem is I still do not know what the model number or part number is it is like saying it is a mobile / cell phone ? Yes it is Belkin yes it is usb wireless but they have plenty models and if you tell me the model number I can find a fix / solution for this for you.

If it has a linux module then with the model number we can find it and load it etc.
Or I can try to find a .inf file for it somewhere and get this to work for you.

As for the Hard drive type " cfdisk " as root and it should find the first hd and list the partitions on it.

Once you know this you can manually mount the hd / windows partition.

Example:
Say /dev/sda3 is the ntfs partition / windows partition then you can mount it using:
All done as root in terminal.
Code: Select all
cd /mnt
mkdir windows
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/windows

then
cd /mnt/windows

or using the filemanager / explorer type you can browse to /mnt/windows and copy the folder / file over.

Mounting partitions links.
http://www.techonthenet.com/linux/mount.php
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Partition/

Attached is a .exe v3 extracted and then selecting the install option in the belkin window + browsing to where this thing was extracted to. Belkin has non standard extraction thingy's that is why you would not have found it.

On yours replace the " Settings\1\Local " number 1 with your logon name in " C:\Documents and Settings\1\Local Settings\Temp\WZSE0.TMP\F5D7050_v3\drivers\1.0.0.0\Win2KXP " to find your drivers then copy it to your c:/ and once inside linux copy it over manualy mounting it or if it shows in media folder then double click it.
It might also have to browse in windows from C:\Documents and Settings\1\Local Settings\Temp\ to subfolders to find it same as I had to to find driver folder.

This is a rt73.inf so might be a realtek chip in there so maybe a realtek wireless module could also work not sure at all here.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Re: I REALLY want to use this but have some problems

Postby bearbonez » Sat Jul 14, 2007 0:11

catinthebox wrote:7. i want to know why anyone would choose linux if they had a choice of windows as an OS, im not talking free, costly, i have like no errors with my xp, at all, its practically fine, most linux look like a cheap 98 knock off with cartoon icons, besides the look, it seems slower, and also less compatible, compiles everything, not ready made, im a windows power user for a long time now, i dotn want to switch to linux for no reason, learn the whole OS and everything, just because its free, that seems stupid, Beryl is an advantage, but im paying for ram, so i might as well be paying for the use of linux, beryl looks cool, but has little to none practical use, sure its cool, but it doesnt do much more than spin and take up some ram, im still willing to switch to linux, but i need reasons

read the reply's to this thread :-/
Sabayon/gentoo/linux in general have way better support than "windoze"
install Sabayon to HDD and click on "Get Live Help" icon you'll be pleasantly suprised (try getting that level of support from M$)
for what you can get Sabayon to look and feel like check out gentoo forums>off the wall>show us your desktop monthly thread
Take time to learn this great O/S it's worth it ;-)
bearbonez
Baby Hen

Postby catinthebox » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:44

thanks for the enormous amount of help

1. before reading this, i conducted a search, i got my model number and found a driver that supposedly works for linux with my adapter, atmelwlandriver, and i did what the instructions said , and i went to troubleshooting, and reloaded the driver like it said to, and it said no socket was found, id much rather continue with your guys' help

2. my model is F5D7050 and there is no such WZSE0.TMP file, i even searched my whole computer, and i dont understand how id be able to browse further into it, but thats not the point, i searched every subfolder in temp, and there is no driver to be found, i then, well just now realised you posted the file for me, thank you so much, i really hope this works, i know how hard it is to deal with noobs in any subject, thanks guys, really, thanks a lot, ill be back if i have more problems, in this thread i will stay
catinthebox
Baby Hen

Postby catinthebox » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:44

# cd Desktop
# su
# ndiswrapper -i rt73.inf
Installing rt73.inf
#modprobe ndiswrapper
#

click mozilla, and no connection
catinthebox
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Jul 14, 2007 22:43

catinthebox wrote:# cd Desktop
# su
Installing rt73.inf
#modprobe ndiswrapper
#

click mozilla, and no connection

Sry this is the long way but you learn a lot this way.

Next thing is to run the "net-setup" and following the options there config it then once finished ifconfig and it should show you are connected. You can also use "ifconfig eth1 down ; ifconfig eth1 up" this will kill and restart eth1

Check's to make sure it works :
If you have knetworkmanager running next to time top right corner click it and it should show avaialble networks to connect to. Should be able to connect using this now.
OR
ifconfig gives connected 192.168.?.? then check /etc/resolv.conf by using " nano -w /etc/resol.conf " there should be nameserver 333.444.555.666 or something looking like this.

# su
# cd Desktop
Installing rt73.inf
# ndiswrapper -l
is it listing atheros 1234:4567 installed working or some text like this = happy wifi
if driver present no hardware or some comment like this = unhappy wifi wrong driver.
if correct proceed to next below.
# ndiswrapper -m
# ndiswrapper -mi
# ndiswrapper -ma
This will write some config but not sure how important the " # ndiswrapper -m" is.
Ignore the it is already done mesage here for above.
# modprobe ndiswrapper
# lsmod
see close to top ndiswrapper is loaded for this session until restart darn fix is ?
load at boot how-to
# rc-update add net.wlan0 default
if wlan0 is not wifi replace with name of yours net.ath0 or net.eth1 
might have to add ndiswrapper to start up as well
# rc-update add ndiswrapper default
this should be correct have to check how to ndiswrapper ?
# net-setup
# ifconfig
lists a lot of info should see somewhere 192.168.*.*
# iwconfig
Should see you are connected to say "linksys" or name of your wifi "elvis's wifi" LOL
# nano -w /etc/resolv.conf
this list nameservers "dns" should see your isp's name servers there example "nameserver 24.56.78.90"

if it looks like above option then you have working wireless and it is conencted to the internet.

If resolv.conf is empty or have wrong ip numbers then no internet but lan / wifi = working.
Should be able to access wifi router using 192.168.0.1 + login or the actual numbers similar to ifconfig 192.168.?.1
Then problem is with wifi router and needs reset or restart / unplug power cable works most of the time and keep disconnected for at least 1 min. might also restart modem / cable modem if you can.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by WarraWarra on Sat Jul 14, 2007 22:48, edited 2 times in total.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Jul 14, 2007 22:45

Cleaned it up to make more sense.
# su
# cd Desktop
# ndiswrapper -l
# ndiswrapper -m
# ndiswrapper -mi
# ndiswrppaer -ma
# modprobe ndiswrapper
# lsmod
# rc-update add net.wlan0 default
# rc-update add ndiswrapper default
# net-setup
# ifconfig
# iwconfig
# nano -w /etc/resolv.conf
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby catinthebox » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:45

THANKS, ill give this a try, im goign away for a week, so ill try it before i go , and ill come back if it didnt work, thanks for the help guys
catinthebox
Baby Hen

Postby catinthebox » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:43

also, is there some way to do this, without doign it every time, lik a script
catinthebox
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:21

This only has to be done once as it should create a config file and store the settings in there.

As long as you did the rc-update for the network adapter and for the module to load at start up then no problem.

You might have to once in KDE click knetworkmanager next to time and connect to yuor wireless router , click linksys and see it connects but that is the max that should be needed.

I have seen that selecting both eth adapters during the install makes it work with only clicking the linksys and nothing more.
If not then you have to do all this above once.
This above statement goes on the fact that you managed to get it working in the live dvd /cd before starting the install.

You are lucky you got a crash course so next time anything goes wrong you can fix it by using this as a guide or something. Most other users find this out the hard way and 2 or 3 weeks of trying. LOL
Took me close to a month to get all this steps connected and figured out properly as I was missing bits here and there , now I have the full picture .

PS> if you need to execute miltiple command then seperated them with ;
Example :
emerge --sync ; emerge portage ; layman -S ; revdep-rebuild ; emerge -uD system
or similar as this will do the one until complete then next untill all is complete. If there is a error it would stop on error command or when trying to execute the current command in the que.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**