Project Looking Glass

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Project Looking Glass

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Sun Jul 15, 2007 16:53

Perhaps the Sabayon devs should look into Project Looking Glass. I think this desktop manager has great potential. I've tried it and it's pretty neat.
Here's some links:
Sun's page on LG3D
LG3D Core Developement Site
YouTube video presenting LG3D

Compiz-Fusion is nice, but doesn't have the full immersion that LG3D has. Maybe Compiz-Fusion could one day integrate/develope for/with this? Imagine the possibilities! LG3D is open-source, so anyone can develope apps and stuff for it.

You can install this on most Linux distro's, as well as Sun's Solaris and even MS Windows.
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby dyingmuppet » Sun Jul 15, 2007 17:18

I tried LG3D too and my findings where that it wasn't stable and really closed, you can't do anything that is not integrated in the window manager. and it is too small to be a good window manager that fits all needs...
the biggest problem is that it can't run other programs than the ones made for LG3D, so you won't be able to run your own programs, as far as I know....

Grtzz DM
dyingmuppet
Growing Hen

Postby moab » Tue Jul 17, 2007 0:10

honestly, i can see someone making a plugin for compiz fusion to do this.

that and i am mostly positive that this is ment more for sun micro systems than it is for linux. never used it my self, and it does look good. but the thing is that, i wouldn't be too shocked if the sabayon team didn't want to mess with this for now. as of, compiz fusion is a lot on its own and the whole compatibility issues that you may have. most likely compiz fusion may not play nice with looking glass 3d. i wont lie, it looks great. but its one of those things were, because its not 100% open and still more like beta ware... id say don't try it till the linux community in general says its good to use. that or until a distro decides to use it.
moab
Simple Hen

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Tue Jul 17, 2007 0:23

Yeah, I agree. It's fun to look at on a LiveCD for demonstration purposes, but I'm sure Compiz-Fusion will sooner or later match this and best it. Compiz-Fusion already has 3D window effects, they just need to add a "spacial" dimension to it, if you know what I mean. They're probably not too far off from doing that.
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Re: Project Looking Glass

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:21

Just thought I'd add a comment to this old topic:

Granular Linux released a new version a few weeks ago and inluded LG3D out-of-the-box (link to DW announcement). Unfortunately, they didn't include the ATI & NVIDIA drivers that are essential to running LG3D acceptably.

On a side note, I think the Granular team is striving to accomplish some of the same goals we are (OOTB support for multimedia, hardware, etc.) Perhaps both the Sabayon team and the Granular team could learn from each other in some way?
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby dave_p_b » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:31

Hi

Someone is writing a plugin for compiz-fusion that allows you to rotate windows in 3d space. Look here for more info. It's in the early stages but it looks good :)

All the best

Dave

Youtube Video Link
dave_p_b
Old Dear Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 19:56

BlueJayofEvil wrote:Granular Linux released a new version a few weeks ago and inluded LG3D out-of-the-box (link to DW announcement). Unfortunately, they didn't include the ATI & NVIDIA drivers that are essential to running LG3D acceptably.

I installed it a few weeks ago out of curiosity and was able to get the NVIDIA drivers installed without any problem so that I could play with LG. It's fun to look at and play with but is seriously unstable. It lasts about 10 minutes and then all the pretty tricks stop working. I did manage to get some ordinary programmes working (e.g. kopete) from the CLI but that in itself was hit and miss as the keyboard sometimes would not function with it. Someone likened it to the way Vista and Apple were going - that put me right off :)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:19

I installed it a few weeks ago out of curiosity and was able to get the NVIDIA drivers installed without any problem so that I could play with LG. It's fun to look at and play with but is seriously unstable. It lasts about 10 minutes and then all the pretty tricks stop working. I did manage to get some ordinary programmes working (e.g. kopete) from the CLI but that in itself was hit and miss as the keyboard sometimes would not function with it. Someone likened it to the way Vista and Apple were going - that put me right off :)

As it is only a prototype "proof of concept" application, stability is likely to be miissing. LG3D isn't even in alpha stage yet, so I'm not surprised. I've used it a few times (I'm actually using the Slax-based LG3D-livecd to type this) and had fun playing with it. It is highly recommended that you have a very good GPU (preferably nVidia), a fast processor, and a lot of RAM to run it smoothly. It runs decently on my Dell Dimension 4550 (2.5 GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, 256 MB GeForce 7800 GS AGP 4x video card), though it isn't 100% smooth, it is very usable for me.

Again, it's still a pre-alpha prototype. Compiz-Fusion is still buggy as well in many respects. But that's the beauty of open-source - you can fix and expand on work as you please. :)
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers