Postby wolfden » Tue Jul 03, 2007 22:31

you guys are best to wait till 3.4 final - lxnay will have it incorporated
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby r-mo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 23:23

csendesmark wrote:Oh noooo!
the Beryl is discontinued... :(

The beryl was too cool to stop!

Don't worry, fusion is sweet :D Seems very smooth and stable (on my system at least) Cube reflection and expo plugins look fantastic (see attachments). There's only a couple of things I can think of that it doesn't have that beryl did: Initiate on desktop shortcut for rotating the cube and instead of the window bending when you move it while it's maximized, it restores the window.
r-mo
Baby Hen

Postby timpalpant » Wed Jul 04, 2007 0:45

Once again, anybody have any success with ATI? I'm running XGL, Beryl works perfectly, but Compiz Fusion gives me:

Code: Select all
timpalpant@timlaptop ~ $ compiz --replace ccp
compiz (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
timpalpant
Young Hen

Postby r-mo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:02

timpalpant: Not using ATI anymore, so I've no way to test it but, you could try these. Hope one of them works.

LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz --replace ccp

or
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/ compiz --replace ccp

or
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 compiz --replace ccp
r-mo
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Jul 05, 2007 0:29

News guys and it's sounding good

Please see with screenshots
http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/

the jist of it is:

News in Bugs :
- The filter box in CCSM no longer loses focus on each keystroke.
- The ‘Screen’ section in CCSM is not displayed if there is only one screen.
- Window titles update in Scale Addons and Ring when the window title changes.
- Lack of focus, minimize, and shade animations for applications like xine, xterm, xpdf, xdvi, xvncviewer, gitk, xfontsel, etc. is fixed.
- All animation effects except Beam Up and Burn use less CPU now.
- Some Dialog boxes that were not animated previously are now animated.
- The ‘Switcher’ Box no longer plays the ‘Minimize’ or ‘Create’ animation on creation. We promise.
- Glide effect now draws the back of the windows too (For rotation angles above 90 degrees).
- A Beam Up bug is fixed that caused wrong window opacity when using 2 different time-step values in animation settings.

News in Features :

Compiz Configuration Settings Manager :

Well, CCSM has got a major update. I will go through some of the smaller stuff first and then go through some of the bigger features
- New Icons
- Cube
- 3D
- Rotate
- Cube Gears
- Cube Reflex
- Scale Filter
- Tootips : All Plugin Log Descriptions are now listed in ToolTips instead of in the bar on the side. Also, all settings log descriptions are listed in tooltips.
- Categories : The ‘Category’ list is now fully shown instead of just a button.
- Exit : We now have an exit button on CCSM. Good if you don’t use window decorations / can’t run them.

Advanced Search :

Well, the filtering function in CCSM has gotten a major overhaul. With the filter box up the top, you can easily filter through plugins to find them. The page changes dynamically as you filter. But there is also another filtering function known as “Advanced Search.” on the sidebar. Clicking on this brings us to the Advanced Search Window.

From here, you can specify what you want searched, In the Plugin, Settings Description, Settings Long Description and in the settings value. So if you remember settings something to 0, but you cant remember what, just type ‘0′ and all settings entries that have been set to 0 will appear. A Breadcrumb navigation style allows you to select plugins, groups and subgroups easily.

Typing Stuff in the filter box dynamically makes the plugin list smaller as it only shows plugins that match those options. From there you can select the plugin and group and the option comes right before you.

Plugins :

The 3D plugin is here. Again. We have re-worked it to make it compatible with Compiz Core. It is basically the same as the 3D plugin in Beryl, but for those who have not seen it, here it is.

As can be seen for some Beryl Veterans (Specifically 0.1.4 and down), a new feature called ‘Window Depth’ has been added. This allows you to set how big the windows are in width, instead of just ‘floating pieces of paper.’

There are currently some bugs with is, specifically, if Transparent Cube is turned off, none of / parts of the desktop window is drawn, which looks ugly. The workaround is to set transparent cube opacity to 90 or below.

The plugin can be retrieved from here : git://git.opencompositing.org/fusion/plugins/3d

Also, If you are using the YAGS script, edit GITINFO.conf so that it looks like this :

GITURL : git.opencompositing.org
GITPATH : fusion/plugins
GITIGNORE=”" (Take out 3D)
USE_SUDO=”true”

On your next YAGS git clone, you will automatically get the 3D plugin.

New Plugin : Screensaver

Pafy, a new developer, has developed a ‘Screensaver’ plugin. This is very hard to explain, so I will give you some screenshots.

The GIT URL is as follows :
git://git.opencompositing.org/users/pafy/screensaver/

EDIT : I can’t do screenshots of it for some strange reason. If anyone can submit them, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

It is based on the Fenetres Volatiles Screensaver for Mac OS X.

This week in Packaging : Trevino, the GIT Ubuntu packager, has included his packages and packaging tool in GIT for all to use. The URL’s are as follows :

git://git.opencompositing.org/users/3v1 ... ion-debian
git://git.opencompositing.org/users/3v1 ... an-builder

Tip of the week : Did you know that you can set any window to be fullscreen with a keystroke? Just enable the ‘Extra-Window-Management’ plugin and set a keystroke to ‘Toggle Fullscreen.’ Mine is Shift-Super-F.

Conclusion : Another week in Compiz Fusion gone by. We’re narrowing down on that list of functional regressions :). I will not be able to post the blog for another two weeks as I will be away. Until then, see you
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby eduardhc » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:27

I installed it yesterday following the excellent guide in the Wiki. Everything worked perfectly!
This project it's really promising.

Cheers
eduardhc
Technological Hen

Postby Wait...What? » Thu Jul 05, 2007 14:00

Thanks for updating the wiki Wolfden. After a reboot everything's working mostly perfectly. It's still slightly buggy but that's to be expected. Can't wait for lxnay to incorporate it, then I know it'll work!
Wait...What?
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jul 05, 2007 15:39

Can you have both Compiz Fusion and Beryl installed concurrently and switch between either as you wish? Or, once you install Compiz Fusion, does it stop Beryl from being able to work correctly?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Wait...What? » Thu Jul 05, 2007 16:14

I've still got a fully functioning Beryl and fully functioning Compiz (the ones that came preinstalled with 3.4 Loop 3).
Wait...What?
Growing Hen

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers