SL 3.3 DVD Hangs at "Loading live cd enviorment" H

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Postby WarraWarra » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:10

The last link is actually easy and helps you learn a lot.
Can be a good excersize in vmware or a emulator to play with and learn.

As for a fix all nvidia options in the 3.4loop2b is enabled , have not checked 3.3 and nvidia options yet.

Might be worth it to stick with one of the other linux distro's for the time being until 3.4 final is out and maybe use vmware or another emulator and try to build your distro from scratch like in the link just for fun.

Actually come to think about it using vmware it uses most of your hardware as is just adds a fake video card or maybe a fake sound card as well , so using it and the iso image instead of the cd / dvd might be good then you can see if it works.

If it does then maybe the dvd drive or actual cd /dvd disk might be unhappy or a funny setting is used to make the cd / dvd with.

My one dvd drive did not want to read a dvd as the burn settings was wrong or too new, had to update the dvd drive firmware and then it worked.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby sabawhat » Sun Jun 24, 2007 17:25

I've tried the 3.4 loop 2 already, the cd and the dvd versions. Neither one worked, they all do the same thing...
sabawhat
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sun Jun 24, 2007 19:48

No idea , you can try vmware with sabayon if it does work then it is the some setting in sabayon that needs fine tunning. At least then there is a way to try and figure this out / easier way.

If not then gentoo from scratch is really the only option.

Looks like 3.4loop / beta is made using genkernel so it should work with any pc out there , unless there is somehow a specific option that needs to be passed durring boot to make it work.

Might check other distro's boot options and or what it is forced to laod during start for the live cd's

You can maybe look thru the working linux distro's forum pages for your motherboard and maybe someone has listed this specific option that is needed on boot to make it work.

Only other thing that could maybe work is to remove / test using another video card non nvidia or even a old nvidia might work , not sure about this but it is worth a try as likely something is getting confused during boot as it only sees nvidia all round it ?

My laptop 7800gtx is full of ???? as it is actually a quadro 4400 stuck in a laptop so getting drivers to work with it is nasty in windoze.

Will see if I can find anythign else.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby sabawhat » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:04

Or, maybe just get another motherboard, but, damn.. this board was $230.
sabawhat
Baby Hen

Postby sabawhat » Tue Jun 26, 2007 18:59

3.4 loop3 does the same thing..?? Any help besides, writing my own distro??
sabawhat
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Tue Jun 26, 2007 19:36

I am out of ideas at this stage and if passing different options at boot does not help then I have no clue.

If you can get the gentoo live cd ( not 2007 dvd = bugs ) , boot from the live cd and see if it works.

If it does then you might be able to use the generic kernel in the boot folder of this in your hd's /boot folder + changing grub and copying the sabayon dvd onto your hd " /mnt/livecd " all the folders and adding gentoo live cd /boot to the hd /boot and start it up or something like this.

At least then you have a starting point as to what is causing the problems.

Unfortunately the good of sabayon is also the bad , like star gate tv show and what they can do compared to normal linux distro's ( caveman ) that still has to figure out how to invent fire or run away from the dinosaurs.

Same thing just 20000 years time difference , aliens / dinosaurs , time travel / toilet travel LOL.

Sry I could not help much.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Jun 26, 2007 22:51

No ideas,, I know many suffer with the problem and nobody has a solution

I just happened to try the mouse thing, cause I have never had an issue and that was the only thing that changed on my system.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:42

LOL
The difference is you know what / when / how so it is easier for you. You have been there and done that already.

We have ghost and weard magnetic stuff happening here as well as a brave soldier going to war with his pants down = me ( figuratively ) :oops:
LOL

As well as a dell computers , need I say more so stuff will go bump in the night.

This is almost like a bunch of boys from a convent school thingy seeing a naked women for the first time LOL you get the idea. LMAO

New users and sabayon LOL no idea but very enthusiastic .

My problem is I know enough to harm myself with / stuff I had problems with, so I am fixing what and how I can for the time being while I get myself back up to speed with a few linux books. Damn I used to code using COOP, vpn's and other wonderfull stuff around 1999's end now I can not even spell my name properly , been too long in this country , frying my brains .

PS> I try to catch the zero reply messages as I know how annoying it is having no reply's to a problem and hopefully I can help.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby sabawhat » Thu Jun 28, 2007 18:28

Thanks guys for all of your help.. I ordered another Bios chip yesterday, I'm pretty sure that might be the problem. My pc does weird things sometimes.. Besides not being able to overclock past 47mhz without it hanging or not being able to use the built in bios updater, and it even hangs while i am in the bios.. thanks again..
sabawhat
Baby Hen

Postby mjones1984 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:45

I have the same problem but I found a way past it.
If you edit the boot command from the LiveDVD start screen in the following way.
Delete back up to the end of dodmraid but leave it in and then type: nokvm noacpi ide=nodma noudev dodevfs
This has worked for me every time and im writing this from within sabayon now.
I have SATA hard drives but an IDE DVD drive, does everyone else who is having this problem have this configuration?
mjones1984
Baby Hen

Previous

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**