My Unofficial Guide to a Stable System World Update

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Re: My Unofficial Guide to a Stable System World Update

Postby smolloy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 0:54

Heautontimoroumenos wrote:
wolfden wrote:look over the remaining ones left and determine if they are safe or not to update.

Could you elaborate on this a bit? What is your method of looking over the remaining ones? Anyway thanks for the guide, very appreciated! :)

I'm not sure how wolfden did it, but I did it by looking down the list and finding any files I know I changed myself. I looked these over, and made any changes I thought were necessary. Then I looked down the list, and looked for anything that I thought would affect something I do that is "out of the ordinary" -- for example, I'm sure I put myself in the minority of Sabayon users by running an apache and ssh server on my machine. If I see any config files that might affect these, I had a look at them to see what changes were made.

After that, I figured that there were too many changes left to look at one by one, so I just let etc-update merge the rest of them (option "-5" I think), and prayed! :lol:
AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 7300 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 2X250GB SATAII
smolloy
Simple Hen

Postby Quirocha » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:24

I've used Gentoo for a while now (had it at the top stability) but heard about Sabayon and give it a try: - i was astonished with all the configs already done and all package already in function and hardware recognicion and more...

So i took this Tutorial to get update with the world and.... I was/am swamped and over swamped with incompatibilitys and broken dependencies and on and on...

I was wondring/guessing what's the best way to go around this...

In "emerge -uN world" I got:

Calculating world dependencies... done!

!!! Error: the <net-print/hplip-1.7.4a-r1 package conflicts with another package;
!!! the two packages cannot be installed on the same system together.
!!! Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h ... =1#blocked

Then i went over it and add it to package.mask - now i've alreday add:
dev-java/systray4j
~kde-base/kde-env-3
<=net-print/hplip-1.7.4a-r1
<=net-print/cups-1.2.11
<=gnome-base/control-center-2.17.0
<=gnome-base/libgnomekbd-2.18.1
<=kde-base/kmail-3.5.6-r1
<=kde-base/libkdepim-3.5.7
<=dev-libs/boost-1.34.0
<=dev-util/boost-build-1.34.0
<=media-gfx/hugin-0.6.1
<=gnome-base/control-center-2.18.1
<=gnome-base/gnome-applets-2.18.0-r1

I'm getting tired of masking over and over again just to stumble on another package, that needs a dependency that conflicts...

Is this the best way/road? Is there any other? Does anyone have suggestions?
I've read/tryed all this post and other and nothing... I've searched but no one complains has i!!! (i complaint endlessly i guess :) )

I feel there's something wrong with this apprach, that's why i come this thread...
I didn't reed all the bugzilla ... has for so many right now that it will absorv all my life in it!!!

Help?! anyone?!
Quirocha
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:26

You have to work with portage - I don't know if anyone else has run into same issues as you or not.
wolfden
Sharecropper

With regard to the HPLIP question

Postby rhomp2002 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:32

I had the same question. It turned out that the HPLIP was in conflict with the CUPS package. I unemerged HPLIP and ran and then emerged HPLIP and it worked out fine.

The problem I had was that the HPLIP and CUPS were earlier editions and were the reaon I had a problem adding my very recent HP printer. After I did this the printer selection was updated and I was able to find my printer in the list and was then able to add it and the HPLIP and CUPS ended up being newer versions of what had been there before and were able to co-exist happily. :D :D

And apparently I like to write long sentences. Sorry about that.
rhomp2002
Simple Hen

Postby Quirocha » Sun Jun 24, 2007 15:57

I've done with hplip - i've already unmerged it, and add it to packag.mask, like i've told before...
After hplip is cups, then a java package, then it starts implying with gnome deps...

I've been "hearing" to portage :) and that's the only way i know...
I've being unmerging and/or masking packages...

I was wondering to know if this is the best way, or there's another way? I was wandering for some advising from those wiser than me ( this is you! ) !! :P

Anyway thanks for the help, and i'll try to stay on the road... hoppefully my mental state starys along too :D !!!

Cheers :)
Quirocha
Baby Hen

Postby flick » Wed Jun 27, 2007 20:04

Success!

@wolfden : the hard lockups I mentioned in earlier posts were caused by my system overheating. I finally thought to check that, and lo and behold. So I left the system alone between each of the major compile-fests, and that took care of the hard lockups. Going through the packages that failed to emerge during the world update and emerging them individually took care of those stragglers, and revdep-rebuild cleaned up the ten or so broken packages that remained. Great guide, and the experience has made me a much more confident user of portage. Thanks for the writeup here and all the help in general.
flick
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Jun 27, 2007 23:12

Great Job

:D
wolfden
Sharecropper

error while loading shared libraries

Postby Red Knuckles » Wed Jul 04, 2007 21:05

After latest world update when I run 'layman -S' I get this error:

# layman -S
* Failed to update the overlay list from: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/ ... global.txt
* Error was:
* <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
* Running command "/usr/bin/svn update "/usr/portage/local/layman/sabayon""...
/usr/bin/svn: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
* Errors:
* ------
* Failed to sync overlay "sabayon".
* Error was: Syncing overlay "sabayon" returned status 32512!

When I run 'revdep-rebuild -X' I get this error:

* ERROR: x11-misc/xscreensaver-5.02-r2 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 1642: Called dyn_compile
* ebuild.sh, line 988: Called qa_call 'src_compile'
* ebuild.sh, line 44: Called src_compile
* xscreensaver-5.02-r2.ebuild, line 67: Called econf '--with-hackdir=/usr/lib/misc/xscreensaver' '--with-configdir=/usr/share/xscreensaver/config' '--x-libraries=/usr/lib64' '--x-includes=/usr/include' '--with-dpms-ext' '--with-xf86vmode-ext' '--with-xf86gamma-ext' '--with-proc-interrupts' '--with-xpm' '--with-xshm-ext' '--with-xdbe-ext' '--enable-locking' '--with-gtk' '--without-kerberos' '--without-gle' '--without-setuid-hacks' '--without-login-manager' '--with-xinerama-ext' '--with-pam' '--with-gl' '--with-jpeg'
* ebuild.sh, line 591: Called die
* econf failed
* If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
* A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/xscreensaver-5.02-r2/temp/build.log'.

revdep-rebuild failed to emerge all packages
you have the following choices:

- if emerge failed during the build, fix the problems and re-run revdep-rebuild
or
- use -X or --package-names as first argument (trys to rebuild package, not exact
ebuild)
or
- set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~<your platform>" and/or /etc/portage/package.unmask
(and remove /root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order to be evaluated again)
or
- modify the above emerge command and run it manually
or
- compile or unmerge unsatisfied packages manually, remove temporary files and
try again (you can edit package/ebuild list first)

To remove temporary files, please run:
rm /root/.revdep-rebuild*.?_*

How to correct???
SL 3.4a AMD64, Gentoo2007.0 AMD64 - ASUS M2NPV-VM - AMD64 X2 4800+ 2.5 Ghz - 4X1GB DDR2 800 - GeForce 6150 256MB - 2X320GB
Red Knuckles
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Jul 04, 2007 21:35

what packages does it show to install

revdep-rebuild -p -X
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Red Knuckles » Wed Jul 04, 2007 23:43

wolfden wrote:what packages does it show to install

revdep-rebuild -p -X

I selected 'dev-perl/XML-Parser-2.34' from that list and got a few more packages to emerge. Now it stops at :

x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I. -I../pixman/src -I/usr/include/freetype2 -DPNG_NO_MMX_CODE -I/usr/include/libpng12 -Wall -Wextra -Wsign-compare -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -Wpacked -Wswitch-enum -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wstrict-aliasing=2 -Winit-self -Wunsafe-loop-optimizations -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wold-style-definition -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-unused-parameter -fno-strict-aliasing -O2 -march=x86-64 -pipe -fno-inline-functions -MT cairo-xlib-screen.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/cairo-xlib-screen.Tpo -c cairo-xlib-screen.c -fPIC -DPIC -o cairo-xlib-screen.o >/dev/null 2>&1
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I. -I../pixman/src -I/usr/include/freetype2 -DPNG_NO_MMX_CODE -I/usr/include/libpng12 -Wall -Wextra -Wsign-compare -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -Wpacked -Wswitch-enum -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wstrict-aliasing=2 -Winit-self -Wunsafe-loop-optimizations -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wold-style-definition -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-unused-parameter -fno-strict-aliasing -O2 -march=x86-64 -pipe -fno-inline-functions -MT cairo-xlib-surface.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/cairo-xlib-surface.Tpo -c cairo-xlib-surface.c -fPIC -DPIC -o cairo-xlib-surface.o >/dev/null 2>&1
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
* ERROR: dev-dotnet/libgdiplus-1.2.4 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 1642: Called dyn_compile
* ebuild.sh, line 988: Called qa_call 'src_compile'
* ebuild.sh, line 44: Called src_compile
* libgdiplus-1.2.4.ebuild, line 64: Called die
* compile failed
* If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
* A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-dotnet/libgdiplus-1.2.4/temp/build.log'.

This is the current list from 'revdep-rebuild -p -X':

# revdep-rebuild -p -X
Configuring search environment for revdep-rebuild

Checking reverse dependencies...

Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by a package update
will be emerged.

Collecting system binaries and libraries... using existing /root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files.

Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH... using existing /root/.revdep-rebuild.2_ldpath.

Checking dynamic linking consistency... using existing /root/.revdep-rebuild.3_rebuild.

Assigning files to packages... using existing /root/.revdep-rebuild.4_packages_raw.

Cleaning list of packages to rebuild... using existing /root/.revdep-rebuild.4_packages.

Assigning packages to ebuilds... using existing /root/.revdep-rebuild.4_ebuilds.

Evaluating package order... using existing /root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order.

All prepared. Starting rebuild...
emerge --oneshot -p =kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.7-r10 =gnome-base/gnome-keyring-0.8.1 =sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2 =dev-libs/openobex-1.3 =media-libs/musicbrainz-2.1.4 =dev-dotnet/libgdiplus-1.2.4 =dev-libs/apr-util-1.2.8-r1 =dev-perl/XML-Parser-2.34 =dev-python/pyparted-1.7.0 =net-dns/avahi-0.6.20 =x11-apps/xclock-1.0.2 =x11-libs/vte-0.16.6 =sys-apps/hal-0.5.9.1-r7 =gnome-base/libbonoboui-2.18.0 =kde-base/libkonq-3.5.7 =media-libs/tunepimp-0.5.3 =kde-base/kdeartwork-kscreensaver-3.5.7 =kde-base/kdialog-3.5.5 =kde-base/khotkeys-3.5.7 =kde-base/ksystraycmd-3.5.5 =kde-misc/ksplash-engine-moodin-0.4.2 =media-video/mplayer-1.0.20070622-r1 =net-wireless/libbtctl-0.8.2 =gnome-base/libgnomeui-2.18.1 =media-libs/libgphoto2-2.3.1-r4 =media-sound/amarok-1.4.6-r1 =media-gfx/sane-backends-1.0.18-r2 =gnome-base/gnome-desktop-2.18.2 =gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.6 =kde-base/kamera-3.5.7 =net-misc/networkmanager-vpnc-0.7.0 =gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.18.2 =kde-base/libkscan-3.5.7 =media-gfx/xsane-0.994

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.7-r10
[ebuild R ] gnome-base/gnome-keyring-0.8.1
[ebuild R ] sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2
[ebuild R ] dev-libs/openobex-1.3
[ebuild R ] media-libs/musicbrainz-2.1.4
[ebuild R ] dev-dotnet/libgdiplus-1.2.4
[ebuild R ] dev-libs/apr-util-1.2.8-r1
[ebuild R ] dev-perl/XML-Parser-2.34
[ebuild R ] dev-python/pyparted-1.7.0
[ebuild R ] net-dns/avahi-0.6.20
[ebuild R ] x11-apps/xclock-1.0.2
[ebuild U ] x11-libs/vte-0.16.6 [0.14.1]
[ebuild U ] sys-apps/hal-0.5.9.1-r7 [0.5.9-r4] USE="-dell% -disk-partition%"
[ebuild U ] gnome-base/libbonoboui-2.18.0 [2.16.0]
[ebuild R ] kde-base/libkonq-3.5.7
[ebuild U ] media-libs/tunepimp-0.5.3 [0.5.2]
[ebuild U ] kde-base/kdeartwork-kscreensaver-3.5.7 [3.5.6]
[ebuild R ] kde-base/kdialog-3.5.5
[ebuild R ] kde-base/khotkeys-3.5.7
[ebuild R ] kde-base/ksystraycmd-3.5.5
[ebuild R ] kde-misc/ksplash-engine-moodin-0.4.2
[ebuild R ] media-video/mplayer-1.0.20070622-r1
[ebuild U ] net-wireless/libbtctl-0.8.2 [0.8.1]
[ebuild U ] gnome-base/libgnomeui-2.18.1 [2.16.1]
[ebuild R ] media-libs/libgphoto2-2.3.1-r4
[ebuild U ] media-sound/amarok-1.4.6-r1 [1.4.5-r1] USE="python%* -mp4%" LINGUAS="-be% -bn% -eo% -eu% -id% -ku% -lo% -mk% -nds% -ss%"
[ebuild R ] media-gfx/sane-backends-1.0.18-r2
[ebuild R ] gnome-base/gnome-desktop-2.18.2
[ebuild U ] gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.6 [0.4-r5] USE="-gnome%"
[ebuild R ] kde-base/kamera-3.5.7
[ebuild R ] net-misc/networkmanager-vpnc-0.7.0 USE="-gnome*"
[ebuild R ] gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.18.2
[ebuild R ] kde-base/libkscan-3.5.7
[ebuild R ] media-gfx/xsane-0.994
Now you can remove -p (or --pretend) from arguments and re-run revdep-rebuild.
SL 3.4a AMD64, Gentoo2007.0 AMD64 - ASUS M2NPV-VM - AMD64 X2 4800+ 2.5 Ghz - 4X1GB DDR2 800 - GeForce 6150 256MB - 2X320GB
Red Knuckles
Growing Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers