Linux books

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Linux books

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:40

Does anyone have any recommendations for good books on Linux (not just Gentoo-related)?

I currently only have "Linux Phrasebook" by Scott Granneman, which is a good pocket book reference (awarded 10/10 in the April 2007 issue of Linux Format), and "Linux Pocket Guide" (oriented towards Fedora Linux, but mostly generic) by Daniel J. Barrett. Both are handy books, but I was wondering if you have any favourite books, perhaps including useful hacks and tips.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Appleman1234 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 14:10

I am in the process of writing a complete Sabayon Guide,
There are way too many books to recommend,
Some old but good ones include LNAG (Linux Network Administrators Guide), LAG (Linux Administrators Guide) and most anything by O'reily...
Google or Digg search for linux ebooks and you will get stacks
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Apr 29, 2007 15:54

Appleman1234 wrote:I am in the process of writing a complete Sabayon Guide,...

Sounds good, Appleman1234. Will you be publishing it in printed book form, or creating an ebook? This is just what is needed for SL, in my opinion. The SL Wiki and SL Forum are of course useful, but a good book would be very useful. Although the Net is a mine of information on Linux, I still find myself reaching for a book now and again to look something up.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Appleman1234 » Fri May 04, 2007 12:18

Most likely ebook, but it will be a while coming...
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby random guy » Tue May 08, 2007 5:52

sounds cool. i would definetely want to read it.

i remember back like 2 or 3 years ago i read linux for dummies i htink. wasnt great but ok for a beginner. i remember also reading another book but i cant remember its name. it was similarily for beginners though.

apparently in htis weeks dww lazdack recommends a good book and a magazine. check them out.
<:~-- That random guy from nowhere has made another statement and vanished --~:>
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby ThinkBayon » Tue May 08, 2007 14:11

I've looked at some, but your best bet to learn Linux is online. Things are always changing, and the internet is, after all, free. Not to mention that there's much, much more information about Linux online than there is in all Linux books combined. Probably a good idea to pick up a book on using the UNIX bash shell, as this is fairly timeless and always useful. You can get a little pocketbook that'll be great for this.
ThinkBayon
Simple Hen

Postby random guy » Tue May 08, 2007 17:39

well i agree with you. you need to read some stuff online to stay current but to learn some of teh underlying technologies a book can be good.

book for depth and internet for bredth ;)
<:~-- That random guy from nowhere has made another statement and vanished --~:>
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby davbeck » Wed May 09, 2007 0:14

I recomend anything from the bible series. they aren't tutorials their reference books (i.e. not for reading straight through). I just bought "The Linux Bible" and "The Linux Programming Bible" both used from Barnes and Noble. They were published in 2006 so a little old but still relevent. everything from command line to shell scripting to running a server. everthing you need. they were like 15 bucks a piece.
davbeck
Simple Hen

Postby mikael » Wed May 09, 2007 3:25

I'm thinking about getting this LPI book from O'Reilly.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... 07#feature
mikael
Baby Hen

Postby davbeck » Wed May 09, 2007 4:28

Its all depends on what your looking for. the nutshell is probably the best if your looking for a tutorial that walks you through the basics. if you want a book that you can grab and look up an answer to a question than you can't beat the bible. just whatever you do don't buy dummies. they suck
davbeck
Simple Hen

Next

Return to Off Topic