Kubuntu 7.04 install

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby davemc » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:01

Linux Illuminati LOL!

Ubuntu is crap compared to many other distro's I have tried. It is suitable as an alternative desktop to Sabayon, but why? I really cant think of a sensible reason other than boredom?

Just because the bandwagon happens to be swinging towards Ubuntu this year (so far) dont mean that its the best thing since sliced bread. It just means that alot of bandwagon jumpers hopped on the Ubuntu train for the flavor of the month distro. Real Linux folks seem to like alot of different distro's and are not fixated on just one. For good reason too -- why box yourself in when there are so many alternatives? Ubuntu has a few good things going for it, and lots more bad. That places it right about square in the middle when compared to the whole. It will never be the end all - be all for Linux mainly because the core Linux crowd would never stand for that IMO... Its too much like an M$ type scenario.
davemc
Sharecropper

Mandriva 2007.1

Postby tomcat1965 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:15

Why not checkout Mandriva Spring,grab the one CD and yes it is easy to change the One theme from orange to the blue Powerpack theme,grab the theme rpm and on reboot it will change your splash,wallpaper and login/out. Really nice gnome theme,great hardware detection,fast install and up to date apps.
tomcat1965
Baby Hen

Re: Mandriva 2007.1

Postby davemc » Mon May 07, 2007 14:31

tomcat1965 wrote:Why not checkout Mandriva Spring,grab the one CD and yes it is easy to change the One theme from orange to the blue Powerpack theme,grab the theme rpm and on reboot it will change your splash,wallpaper and login/out. Really nice gnome theme,great hardware detection,fast install and up to date apps.

Been there, done that! Mandriva 2007.1 "Spring" not only chewed up my grub, but F*cked with my fstab somehow too. Took me about 2 days to fix what the Mandriva installer F*cked up. Thier IRC was nothing more than 2-3 elitist children flaming every noob that happened to ask a question while I was monitoring it. No thanks! If that is how that community treats its new users then that distro can remain with whatever dwindling base its got left as the rest of the hardcore Mandrake crowd has either already migrated, or soon will, over to PCLos. Mandriva has already done its best to alienate thier core userbase while privatising, and is now paying the brutal price for that (take a looksee on over at thier quarterly postings for a clue here). Its an OK distro however, slightly better than the Buntu's but only because they've had much longer time to perfect things... But even then, when measured against such a fledgling distro as Sabayon or PCLos comparatively, Mandriva should be so much better --- It is, in fact, not.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby reedness » Mon May 07, 2007 20:24

Ubuntu is what got me turned on to Linux about a month ago. I've had some problems and formatted a lot but I do like the challenge. I am never going back to Windows. I had blind faith in Linux and completely wiped out my HD with a fresh install of Ubuntu. I noticed that KDE had a great look and feel to it, but Kubuntu gives me nothing but problems. I just ended up perfecting Ubuntu to the best of my ability, with 64-bit OS and then installing 32-bit Firefox cuz I can't get flash 9 to work with 64-bit, and all kinds of other crap. I am grateful for Ubuntu for introducing me to Linux and getting me to make the switch.

Now I am here checking out Sabayon and I am going to give it a shot. It sounds way better than Ubuntu. I'm gonna install it as soon as I get off work and I'll probably be convinced that it is a better OS than Ubuntu. At least it looks that way.
reedness
Baby Hen

Postby davemc » Mon May 07, 2007 20:42

Sabayon is alot better than Ubuntu/Kubuntu in every area of functionality, but it does come with a small price to pay when it comes to package management and complex configurations. IE, you will have to learn how to use Portage, and learn about things like USE flags. Its not hard at all, but its different. A few other minor differences also exist between the Buntu's, and Sabayon/Gentoo such as some basic files might be named slightly different and Sabayon actually uses a root switch in command line vice sudo, along with a root account. Sabayon and Gentoo both offer precise system tweaking moreso than any other distro because of Portage, and you will find that hardcore Gentoo folks live to endlessly tweak their systems to the Nth degree. Sounds strange, but once you start learning portage and what it can do for your system, you will start playing with it too. :)
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby ThinkBayon » Tue May 08, 2007 14:15

The default Sabayon configuration and software blows away Kubuntu in nearly every area, including stability. In the Ubuntu forums, Kubuntu has a bit of a reputation for being less stable and complete than its GNOME brother.
ThinkBayon
Simple Hen

Previous

Return to Off Topic