scsi disc

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

scsi disc

Postby bonass500 » Wed May 02, 2007 20:20

Hello!

I now have a system with one 36GB scsi disc. I will really like to add a 200 GB ide disc to my system.
But when I do that, it seems impossible to boot from my scsi disc with Sabayon 3.3, when the new 200GB ide disc is present my system prefer the ide disc nomatter if I set it to slave or master.
Do anywhone now how to solve the problem?
The point is that I have to boot from my scsi disc, to start the operating system, and the new 200GB ide disc will be used only to keep pictures and music on.

Regards

Bonass500
bonass500
Baby Hen

Postby 2ny » Mon May 07, 2007 11:31

Hi,

The problem you have is with the BIOS, it enumerates (counts) resources in a specific order which always puts the IDE channels first. This is independent of the Slave/Master configuration and also independent of the Boot-Order.

I have no experience from actual SCSI devices, but you can have trouble like this with SATA and Burner devices too which are also hooked on to the SCSI Subsystem without having any relation what-so-ever to SCSI devices - furthermore, Linux and Windows handles this the same way.

The best suggestion I can come up with is to exclude the IDE channels from the boot-order in the BIOS and then set it up from inside your OS. This will not work in all cases, depending on your BIOS. If not, you might try and boot the Live-CD/DVD and try and figure out a way to write a boot-line in Grub that tells it to boot from the SCSI and disregard the IDE.

The easiest alternative if you have trouble beating it into submission, probably would be to put a boot-partition onto the IDE - or boot from floppy?

Tony. . .
2ny
Simple Hen

Postby totedati » Mon May 07, 2007 11:53

but you can also try to put the master boot record of grub to ide hdd and point him to boot from a scsi disc partition ....

this links can help you to see how grub works:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/grub/grub.htm
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4622

is my hope ... is no need, to my level of grub understanding, that you master boot record, MBR, and you boot partition to be to same hdd. By the way another solution ... if this is not working just make a little separate boot partition, like 2ny sugestion from previous post, to hdd that is first to boot and swap the rest of operating sistem files and directories as you like ...
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby 2ny » Mon May 07, 2007 13:22

These links are useful, and will be good to have around - thanks!

Before fiddling with the MBR or any Boot-Partitions, however, I still think you should start off by checking your BIOS, most modern BIOS's should be able to handle this issue.

Second alternative, I think is to boot the Live Disk with the IDE drive configured as now when the SCSI drives doesn't boot - check your devices in GPartEd. The thing is that with the IDE attached it is now sitting where the SCSI used to be and the SCSI drives have moved to somewhere else that Grub doesn't know about - simply rewriting the Grub Boot statement with the new information, and not mentioning the IDE drive at all, it will not be a Bootable drive and the SCSI will Boot as normal - hope this makes sense.

After all of this, issues may still give you head-ache and then you still have the option to make changes to Grub or MBR like this, but the issue starts with the BIOS and it is best to fix it right there, I think.

Tony. . .
2ny
Simple Hen

Postby totedati » Mon May 07, 2007 17:36

2ny wrote:These links are useful, and will be good to have around - thanks!

i'm happy to see that .... very useful for me also ....

2ny wrote:Before fiddling with the MBR or any Boot-Partitions, however, I still think you should start off by checking your BIOS, most modern BIOS's should be able to handle this issue.

here

cat /proc/partitions

is our friend ...

now is time to wait and see if bonass500 can solve his problem with our little help ...

a disturbing discovery for many windows and mac users is the overwhelming choices that you can exercise here ... hundreds of pathway solving for every problem ... a marvell for some of us and a hell for many ... this is one of cause why windows has so many market share ...
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Thanks

Postby bonass500 » Sat May 12, 2007 21:40

Hello!

Thank you for many good suggestions, but none of them worked very well for me. I have now bought an external harddrive that I will connect at the usb 2.0 port, on my computer, and solved the problem that way.
It seems that it is impossible to boot from scsi harddrive no matter how the bios are configured, as long as the ide harddrive is present, even if I disable the ide harddrive in the bios, the scsi wouldnt boot.

Regards

Bonass500
bonass500
Baby Hen

Return to Off Topic