Time to step up the game Linux lovers!

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Time to step up the game Linux lovers!

Postby davemc » Fri Apr 20, 2007 22:22

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/netsys ... _3672516_1

This article hits the nail right square on the head. Because the Linux community that litterally begged, cried, screamed and whined for Dell to do this, they are. They WILL fail if the whole, entire linux community does not back them up. This is cold, hard business folks, and this is how it all plays out. No return on investment = failure, and Dell is already in the wallstreet doghouse so they litterally have zero room for error here. A failure with Dell's efforts = a failure for us all and it is we who will be 150% responsible for it, as Dell is actually the good guy in this scenario and is listening to what people have asked them to do. SO, put your money where your mouth is, and its time to buy Dell!
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby Appleman1234 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 0:25

I have never wanted to buy Linux preinstalled, rather prefer to by a blank box and install it myself.

I don't see what the big deal with supporting Dell is, Dell will get its support from Ubuntu users alone, let alone the rest of the Linux community. But meh...
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby davbeck » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:03

The biggest thing is that it is hardware that is guaranteed to work with linux, and you don't have to support windows by buying the software with the hardware.

I have never been a fan of dell. in fact I kind of hate them. but if they are going to support linux I am going to support them.
davbeck
Simple Hen

Postby mdmarmer » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:54

I think most of the vendors care about us. I'm not sure Enderle does -- there's a good chance he's on M$ side.

Mike
mdmarmer
Advanced Hen

Postby davemc » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:11

Its not so much about Dell as it is the success of Linux in general, but ya I get your point Apple. Now its sorta like the community asked for this as a large chunk and now that its becoming reality they must support Dells decision and back them up.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby Darksurf » Thu May 03, 2007 16:22

I hate DELL. But I love LINUX! So on behalf of linux I will definately support them. Maybe they'll rub off on some of the other corps and they'll start supporting linux better if they see Dell has a success.
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby random guy » Tue May 08, 2007 17:43

ya even if you dont like dell if you support them they will make money. and when they makew money others will follow in a persuit to make money too. that is the way the buisness world works. you can bet that just about every other company like toshiba,hp,sony.... is keeping their eyes on the dell stock and seeing how this will affect it. if stock shoots up you can bet your life that others will mimic as soon as they can.

this can be the beginning of the end for microsoft...

EDIT: dont forget that the hardware is linux compatible. so we dont like ubuntu, remove it and put sabayon. you know how to do it. the hardware now will be built specifically for linux so the drivers will run better and will have complete functionality for all features. buy the computer for the hardware support! :)
<:~-- That random guy from nowhere has made another statement and vanished --~:>
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby ThinkBayon » Tue May 08, 2007 19:07

I support Linux by donating money, etc., not by purchasing crappy, fragile computers. I'll stick with my tough-as-nails ThinkPad. Not to mention they're made without Windows keys, which is always nice.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, they're now made with Windows keys. Gotta love my T41! Also, I've fiddled with the new Lenovo ThinkPads (*60 series) and the quality is fading away quickly. I may just keep upgrading my notebook to better processors, etc. over time. The new ones feel cheaper. The metal exterior feels like plastic, the computer's plastic is rough and feels inexpensive, and all of the buttons are of very poor quality. They wiggle in their positions and are not firm: I even noticed that the keyboard felt cheaper.

How can I attribute this to anything besides Lenovo, a Chinese company, making all the business decisions? When the brand shifted from IBM a couple years ago, I recall Lenovo's statement including a comment about "reducing production costs" to increase revenue and lower prices. Well, prices are still high, but they've clearly decided to go with cheaper materials. Damn shame.
ThinkBayon
Simple Hen

Postby davbeck » Tue May 08, 2007 19:50

this is why linux will never become anything than a hobby. We are all going our own little route and don't even care were the herd goes. We must unite if we want to be taken seriously in this world.

personally I love the old IBM's and have always strongly stood against dell and their business practices. but this is about Linux not dell. Forget about the fact that they plan to preinstall Ubuntu. Ubuntu is not M$ and its not RedHat. Ubuntu is linux made for the everyday user, and they know the meaning of unity. They don't force people to use their software like M$ does, blackmailing companies into preinstalling their software, they were chosen to be preinstalled by popular demand. You can't expect a company to provide exactly what you want only what most people want.

If you don't like Ubuntu then just reinstall. The download will be easier on a linux machine than M$ anyway.[/quote]
davbeck
Simple Hen

Postby random guy » Tue May 08, 2007 21:13

davbeck i agree with you 100%. a lot of people (especially here ;) ) dont like ubuntu and that is ok. heck if this project is a success we might see more linux flavor options. although sabayon would have been a better choice we dont have formal tech support/phone support which dell was looking for. who knows maybe in a year or two sabayon will be an option without tech support for expert users.

i also agree with what you said about ubuntu's practices. they are more friendly than ms definetely and it is good that they dont try to force people to use ubuntu. mark shuttleworth basically just wants to make a linux distribution for people, just like what we are trying to do with sabayon. not his fault ubuntu isnt as good ;) but he has the right spirit.

btw i used to own an ibm thinkpad. that thing was like a tank. only laptop i had seen that took a beating from 4 kids for like 5 years flawlessly. after 5+ years it had a power problem which was unfixible without replacing the motherboard. but it sure lasted a long time without repairs.

I support Linux by donating money, etc., not by purchasing crappy, fragile computers. I'll stick with my tough-as-nails ThinkPad. Not to mention they're made without Windows keys, which is always nice.

ya donating is better but if you are going to buy a fragile computer cheap anyway then might as well be linux installed.
<:~-- That random guy from nowhere has made another statement and vanished --~:>
random guy
Advanced Hen

Next

Return to Off Topic