Kubuntu 7.04 install

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Kubuntu 7.04 install

Postby ashley194 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 20:51

Over the weekend I downloaded Kubuntu 7.04 x64, as a colleague at work was raving about it!
Now I've been a SL user since March (still a n00b) & love every time I turn my PC on, anyway back on topic. I finished downloading all 4.36GB & burnt the image to DVD. As I hadn't used my Windows drive since March, thought I'd overwrite it with Kubuntu. After going through their install routine, I was in Kubuntu & could access network, sounds etc. Now here's the kicker. As I hadn't had any notice to reboot (waited 6 long hours after install routine quit), I'd had enough & rebooted manually. Strangely enough, there was no sign of Kubuntu (although the partitions it created were on my Windows drive!), looking on the bright-side, the last time i tried an Ubuntu variant my machine was unbootable. Now that's an entire new chapter in itself :lol:
So, here's the moral of my tale of woe - I will never touch Ubuntu again, ever :lol: So rock-on Sabayon 8)
ashley194
Technological Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Apr 22, 2007 21:48

:shock:

I haven't tried it myself and probably wont, but I heard more good than bad so far on ubuntu. I'm installing Mint Linux KDE final version into vm at the moment and as a livecd it ran great so see what the install produces.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby ashley194 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 22:12

Have heard good reviews about Mint, so I had a look at [url]Knolinux.com[/url] & read a pretty good review for Dreamlinux instead. Downloaded it this afternoon, burnt it to CD, gotta say it runs very nicely. Trashing my Windows installation, will be for next weekend. All my personal data's been copied to DVD. My main desktop will definitely be SL, looks like my 2nd HDD is going to contain dreamlinux!
ashley194
Technological Hen

Postby davemc » Sun Apr 22, 2007 22:32

I too tried Kubuntu this weekend and found that the install screwed up my grub file right off the bat. It didn't detect Sabayon at all and I suspect wouldn't have detected any other Linux distro on the same drive. Many distros have this problem and thus far only SuSe has been able to handle install properly. Kubuntu does work on the most basic of levels but thats as far as it gets. It does not have the drivers configured properly for a 64 bit amd system at all and very basic things like flash will not work on it. Other distro's like SuSe 10.3 have the nv driver actually working for flash -- quite a feat imo. In short, there is no reason whatever to say that the "Buntu's" are better and in fact a laundry list of reasons for why they aren't. Sabayon, PCLos, Mepis, Mint, PuppyLinux, etc and so on and so forth -- all are without any question whatever, vastly superior and always will be for the most obvious of reasons -- everything will work or is already preconfigured off a basic install unlike Debian or most of its variants with a few of the exceptions noted above (puppylinux is its own original not based on anything else). Once again, and this is the fourth review for me, the Buntu's fail to impress.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby dave_p_b » Sun Apr 22, 2007 23:04

Hi

If you wan't to experiment with KDE and Ubuntu then Try Mepis 6.5. It's better than Kubuntu and Ubuntu combined ;)
I still can't see what all the fuss is about with Ubuntu. If Ubuntu was my first experience of Linux then I would have switched back to XP.
Mepis was my first distro before I switched to SabayonLinux. For any Windows converts I always give them Mepis first as it is so easy to install (takes under 8 minutes on my machine) and has lots of nice config gui's.
After they've become familiar with Linux, I get them on to Sabayon :twisted:

Cheers

Dave

p.s. The download for Kubuntu x64 is only 699MB. What were you downloading ??
dave_p_b
Old Dear Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Apr 22, 2007 23:45

Linux Mint KDE is installed now and working great. It's doing it's Adept Updater now and updating packages and I have been just working on customizing it. Multimedia is working flawlessly and hardware all detected. I might try it with my wireless card here when I get some time to see how the wireless works. Mint Linux is already number 10 on distrowatch.

Dream Linux is nice - I installed that on my PII 400 and it handles it just great. I have 768 MBs of RAM in it tho. I've been running that for a few months now. Pretty slick!
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby davemc » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:16

Im going to give Mandriva 2007 a whirl next. Should be interesting because its never been able to get past the boot screen before.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:03

I like Ubuntu. I've had Dapper 6.06 LTS installed since its release, and it works a treat: Ethernet CardBus card, wireless CardBus card, built-in audio, built-in video, USB ports, Samba, networked printer, etc.

I particularly like the audio preview of mp3, ogg and wma files if I hover the mouse cursor over the file in a Nautilus window. Pity you can't do that in Konqueror on SL 3.3 (Or can you? If so, how?) And the GUI Synaptic package manager with automatic notification is user-friendly and works really well. Although not an official part of Ubuntu, Automatix is also a good tool and very useful for downloading video codecs etc. With Ubuntu, BBC videos appear in the BBC video window directly, whereas I can't get them to appear that way under SL 3.3: I have to launch Real Player and open the BBC video with that. And Ubuntu recognised my USB pen drive whereas SL 3.3 only did so after I low-level formatted it.

Ian Murdock, Scott Granneman and other Linux illuminati use Ubuntu. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:43

file previews are setup in the preferences of konqueror, there was a thread on this a while ago.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:37

^Got it:

Settings > Load View Profile > File Management

then

View > Preview > Sound Files

Thanks.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Off Topic