Beryl - Merge is On with Compwiz

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby lowboyblue » Sat Mar 24, 2007 16:51

I'm sure the devs will roll with the punches.
I remember when Sabayon came with Compiz,
I just hope that none of Beryl's ease of use and compatibility with KDE are compromised in the merge.
lowboyblue
Simple Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Sat Mar 24, 2007 18:07

lowboyblue wrote:I'm sure the devs will roll with the punches.
I remember when Sabayon came with Compiz,
I just hope that none of Beryl's ease of use and compatibility with KDE are compromised in the merge.

Looking at Uberyl I suspect that with the merge and name change Beryl will abandon it's advances in KDE integration.
Former Sabayon user (2005 - 2013) and current Arch user.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby igknighted » Sat Mar 24, 2007 18:33

davemc wrote:Whats the point of this? Does this mean that all development for beryl will be for/by Ubuntu? If so, that spells bad things for the Linux world IMO. Ubuntu snubbed beryl for 7.04 due to stability issues. Sorry, but this reeks the smell of M$ type business practices. Maybe y'all cant look into the future too far and see how things tend to develop, but Canonical is a business in the end, and is looking to make some $$. One would be foolish indeed to believe that they are sponsoring the Buntu's out of sheer good will LOL!!!!

This is not entirely true. Ubuntu was willing to put it in their universe repo's, but I don't think the packages were made in time to be included with feisty. Compiz was included because gandalf (i think) took the initiative and made it happen. I guess Beryl doesn't have as many friends on the MOTU team. I don't understand why Beryl would focus on a distro that doesn't offer non-free video drivers. They are really needed to run beryl for most users, so why not hitch yourself to a distro that includes them?

I agree with the others who are worried about KDE integration. I have avoided compiz for just this reason, and the thought of Beryl falling back the same way really irritates me. I do wish there was a legitimate alternative, but there isn't right now. LG3D is a long ways away from being useful, and I hate Metisse, its so awkward to use.

Aside from these concerns, it does make sense to merge the projects. Beryl and Compiz are nearly the same code, so having two teams squashing the same bugs seems wasteful of our resources. I think together they can achieve more. But at what price? That remains to be seen.
igknighted
Simple Hen

Postby lowboyblue » Sat Mar 24, 2007 18:38

I'll wait to see; instead of speculating. :wink:
lowboyblue
Simple Hen

Postby davemc » Sat Mar 24, 2007 19:57

It would make far more sense, and alarm virtually nobody, for beryl to merge with the KDE project and thus become Kberyl. Beryl is a window manager and thus fits in quite nicely with KDE's goals and roadmap. This would keep the politics out of it as well as both GNOME and KDE are completely independant of a distro title and both work for the betterment of the whole Linux world. For beryl to merge with an aggressive distro backed by a corporate entity = bad bad bad things. Study up on M$ history some to see the parralells here. Canonical is basicly following along that line of thought, or so it seems; What worked for M$ is likely to work for them so long as they live within both GPL 2 and 3 (since Linus Torvalds will not port the Linux source to GPL3 http://www.linux.org/news/2007/03/23/0009.html ). I do believe that the big man himself will vehemently oppose Canonical as they continue down the road they seem determined to follow, but I will avidly await the drama to come :)
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby igknighted » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:34

davemc wrote:It would make far more sense, and alarm virtually nobody, for beryl to merge with the KDE project and thus become Kberyl. Beryl is a window manager and thus fits in quite nicely with KDE's goals and roadmap. This would keep the politics out of it as well as both GNOME and KDE are completely independant of a distro title and both work for the betterment of the whole Linux world. For beryl to merge with an aggressive distro backed by a corporate entity = bad bad bad things. Study up on M$ history some to see the parralells here. Canonical is basicly following along that line of thought, or so it seems; What worked for M$ is likely to work for them so long as they live within both GPL 2 and 3 (since Linus Torvalds will not port the Linux source to GPL3 http://www.linux.org/news/2007/03/23/0009.html ). I do believe that the big man himself will vehemently oppose Canonical as they continue down the road they seem determined to follow, but I will avidly await the drama to come :)

Couldn't someone take all the current Beryl code and fork it into Kberyl and merge it? If KDE really is going to be left behind, do you think enough interest could be generated to initiate such an undertaking?
igknighted
Simple Hen

Postby davemc » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:14

As with any open source project, of course. Who is going to do it though? Aside from our own devs who else understands that project well enough to dedicate the time and be able to just jump right in and run with it?
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby wolfden » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:20

I would not worry about beryl/compiz forgetting about KDE. KDE is used widely by a huge mass of people and the demand would be there.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby tekwyzrd » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:34

davemc wrote:It would make far more sense, and alarm virtually nobody, for beryl to merge with the KDE project and thus become Kberyl. Beryl is a window manager and thus fits in quite nicely with KDE's goals and roadmap. This would keep the politics out of it as well as both GNOME and KDE are completely independant of a distro title and both work for the betterment of the whole Linux world. For beryl to merge with an aggressive distro backed by a corporate entity = bad bad bad things. Study up on M$ history some to see the parralells here. Canonical is basicly following along that line of thought, or so it seems; What worked for M$ is likely to work for them so long as they live within both GPL 2 and 3 (since Linus Torvalds will not port the Linux source to GPL3 http://www.linux.org/news/2007/03/23/0009.html ). I do believe that the big man himself will vehemently oppose Canonical as they continue down the road they seem determined to follow, but I will avidly await the drama to come :)

+1 :D
Former Sabayon user (2005 - 2013) and current Arch user.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby RaNDyMyZe » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:01

From reading KDE News, developer blogs, etc it looks like the features of KDE4.x will incorporate compositing in the desktop instead of having separate packages.

Really I can't see a separate compositing window manager the way of the future. It's more like compiz and beryl are breaking ground and innovating, but the eventual progression would be to just have that technology in gnome, kde, xfce (groundwork is already there), and so on.

Also the stupid comments about Ubuntu are childish. Many people in other distros mock Gentoo as a failed experiment that is slowly dying. That's also ridiculous. Show a little character.
RaNDyMyZe
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic