3.3 distribution ?? possibly = torrent / edonkey ??

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

3.3 distribution ?? possibly = torrent / edonkey ??

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Mar 07, 2007 23:40

I have seen a mention of 350gb+ load on the ftp servers.

Possible solution:

I have stumbled onto Lphant a edonkey / bittorrent mix p2p program that we might be able to use to catch a linuxtracker.org sabayon 3.3 torrent file and redistribute it faster with less strain on the ftp servers ??

For linux / Mac / windoze and even mobile pda versions available.
( add sponsored / payed for versions )

Then both edonkey and bittorrent clients get the file at the same time etc. etc. via bittorrent main distrb. from one ftp server for the orriginal file ??

Also no 100% file that is actually 95% complete and then having to redownload it LOL.

Not sure how too but the testing so far on other linux distro torrent for testing looks good.

160kb/s with 115 usefull sources / seeds and 7 shared / peers (bt2final test torrent file.)

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby Goatee » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:30

why is this off topic?

what forum section does it belong in, say and i'll move it
Goatee
Sharecropper

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:14

No idea where to put it, just thought it might be a good delivery option for the new release .

Or even something similar.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby EmpJohnIV » Thu Mar 08, 2007 19:53

I agree a great idea. Servers really take a beating when new editions like this hit the market.
EmpJohnIV
Young Hen

Postby schivmeister » Fri Mar 09, 2007 14:43

are you guys really going to concentrate only on torrents? :(

i would prefer ftp/http direct downloads..say, mayb i can get hosting space.
schivmeister
Simple Hen

Postby Appleman1234 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 15:25

This is only a suggestion so far. AFAIK all the mirrors on mirrors.sabayonlinux.org will have 3.3 when it is released.
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Mar 09, 2007 20:27

The torrents part :

If we can reduce some of the cost's / traffic on the ftp servers by using Torrent / donkey network then so much better and everyone using the torrent will contribute a part of their internet ie: the way torrents work.

FTP is very nasty as only the one downloading benifits and as you know a internet connection cost's money , a real internet connection 100mb/s cost's plenty and it hurts if you don't get money for the traffic as it comes out of your pocket / mouth / stomach. So that is why the sponsors can only give so much of their traffic to free downloads.

Torrent way:
This way if you have a Paris France $120.00pm 4gb/s down / 2gb/s FTTH connection you can get it as fast as your cennection can handle and not at ftp server max say maybe 300kb/s depending on your connection / ftp server settings.

Torrent can fix a broken download and not have to do it over from scratch = internet download limit reached = cuts your internet to half / 25% of speed for the next few hours = shot in the foot.

Happens here plenty connection cut down. This is not Europe with real internet connections / ISP's .

Also you can in return also use say maybe 500mb/s or 1gb/s of that internet connection to upload while downloading and get the distro faster to most other users not as fortunate .

The ftp servers can then be used mostly for emerge / portage operations = more ftp type servers might want to host as with any connection they can only have max X% of their connection for traffic and the rest for paying customers.

This is still a free OS and so the money goes to put food in some of the devlpm. team's stomach's , the least anyone can do is give a bit of their time / internet / cash to help out .

Just because it is free does not mean it is cheap ( time wise / effort wise / social life wise / etc )

The only way (Rubish loads XP PRO) can do it as the cost of doing this is a lot and they have to skimp somewhere. Bugs holes virusses etc. Same with Apple / Mac OS.
" Vista = 1993 linux slackware kernel encrypted "

If both these options is too slow then you are more than welcome to buy a copy of the distro as this is just the time in the post and does not exceed your download limmit of your internet connection. This way the distro get some money and you get it overnight DHL / UPS / Fedex.

Sry another option is to pay $120pm for a hosted server for ftp and have a copy uploaded to your server and then let other users also benifit by downloading from your server and you can get it as fast as your internet will allow .

Hope this explains it a bit better.

Darn if my stomach is empty I can not even type propperly so how would the devlpm. team be able to fix a bug or release a distro with a empty stomach.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Mirror?

Postby iamacarpetlicker » Fri Mar 09, 2007 20:48

Hey...

If you guys need more mirrors, maybe its worth looking at some of the bigger mirror services like the ones used by SourceForge.... "http://www.mirrorservice.org/feedback/iwantamirror.html" for example.

Sorry, I guess someone has already thought of this. Just thought I would add it to this...
Sam.
iamacarpetlicker
Baby Hen

Re: Mirror?

Postby Heautontimoroumenos » Fri Mar 09, 2007 20:53

Hmm, I could ask my boss whether his company could host a SabayonLinux mirror; they already host (K)Ubuntu, OpenSuSE and Gentoo mirrors if I remember correctly... (Could be saying a load of BS, but that's what I remember)
Heautontimoroumenos
Young Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Mar 16, 2007 22:02

Looking good at 550 peers for torrent file.

Downloads / speeds going good if my ISP stops cutting my Inet in half lol.

Looks like with the donkey / torrent mix only once it is finished downloading will it be listed on the donkey network while keeping the torrent running etc as well.

Was hoping for completed parts / % to be available immediately on donkey as well.

Man I can not wait lol.

My other pc's if they could would be drooling lol.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions