Linux is not free according to MS: Steve Ballmer

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Linux is not free according to MS: Steve Ballmer

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Wed Feb 21, 2007 20:35

AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby Jesterhead » Wed Feb 21, 2007 22:01

i bet that M$ also uses stuff which are protected by other firms patents ;)
Jesterhead
Old Dear Hen

Postby Appleman1234 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 22:10

Amplifer: This is FUD, courtesy of MS's FUD Machine.
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby GregK » Thu Feb 22, 2007 0:11

Jesterhead wrote:i bet that M$ also uses stuff which are protected by other firms patents ;)

They don't have to - when they need anything they just take the other company over, use what they need and destroy the rest: that's a policy M$ uses for years. Me personally, I can't wait for GPLv.3 - we'll all sleep better when Novell/M$ can't threat Linux and OSS anymore...
GregK
Simple Hen

Postby frogimus » Thu Feb 22, 2007 0:28

Appleman1234 wrote:Amplifer: This is FUD, courtesy of MS's FUD Machine.

....but an informed populace...

....know thine enemy...

However stated, supporters of free speach, GNU, FOSS, and free beer should always be aware of the antics of M$. Power is given through inaction.

We shouldn't panic over these things, but I believe we should keep each other informed.
frogimus
Growing Hen

Postby Jesterhead » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:56

They don't have to - when they need anything they just take the other company over, use what they need and destroy the rest: that's a policy M$ uses for years. Me personally, I can't wait for GPLv.3 - we'll all sleep better when Novell/M$ can't threat Linux and OSS anymore...

IIRC is IBM still the company with the most new patents every year, and i dont think M$ has the power to take over IBM ;)
Or Google, Novell, Oracle, SAP, HP, Intel or onother Big Player in the market.

Sure, commercial Distributors like Novell, Canonical, Red Hat, Mandriva doesnt have anything to compete with M$, but i think it has some reasons that most others havent said to muc about the Novell/M$ Deal.
Because they know that M$ wont to the stupid step and start to sue Linux Distributions, Users, Firms which are using it.

I guess this would lead into a patent war, and that M$ wouldnt survive this...

Mr. Ballmer reminds me somethimes like this big bad Guy in Popeye..... ;)
Jesterhead
Old Dear Hen

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:12

Last edited by AmpLiF1eR on Thu Feb 22, 2007 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby GregK » Thu Feb 22, 2007 13:39

Jesterhead wrote:IIRC is IBM still the company with the most new patents every year, and i dont think M$ has the power to take over IBM ;)
Or Google, Novell, Oracle, SAP, HP, Intel or onother Big Player in the market.

Yeah, right... :wink: You know what I mean - they obviously can't take over other giants (even though I don't consider Novell to be the one, and I believe the deal is a beginning of the end of Novell's independency). But they still can do that with many smaller or even medium-sized companies, and they have used that opportunity heavily in the past...

Jesterhead wrote:Because they know that M$ wont to the stupid step and start to sue Linux Distributions, Users, Firms which are using it. I guess this would lead into a patent war, and that M$ wouldnt survive this...

I disagree. M$ believes in its power and is determined to use it against anyone that is trying to resist. What would be the reason for trying to restrict some Linux soft with patents than? :?
GregK
Simple Hen

Postby davemc » Sat Feb 24, 2007 18:50

LOL Amp!

Ya, I kinda got the point of just who Ballmer was when I started to research that whole Novell deal and the subsequent flame war between CEO's over who has "ownership" of Linux and how Novell's deal was an admission of Open Source guilt for patent violations. Of course, one could take a look at the recent $1.52 Billion judgement against M$ over that whole MP3 deal too.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby Mike » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:39

Am I the only one who got a déjà vécu feeling upon hearing this?
Mike
Young Hen

Next

Return to Off Topic