Upgrades from inside OS? (Possible Suggestion)

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Upgrades from inside OS? (Possible Suggestion)

Postby projectle » Fri Feb 16, 2007 18:44

I have been using Sabayon for a while now and have liked what I have seen, but recently I have been having all kinds of problems with the 3.26 Installation DVD.

Specifically, when booting from the DVD most of the time I can not get it to actually see my hard disk, as the SATA controller never gets loaded.

Anyone know what the module is so that I can force it to load with modprobe so I can get it to install on my computers, or is there a way to start an upgrade from older installations like 3.0 or the like?

I know that officially it should work to just do an "emerge system && emerge world", however there are a ton of packages that are blocking, including things like the modular KDE Apps vs. the exact same versions from the kde package. Rather than spending all the time unmerging the existing versions and then remerging them back, I would like to start the "upgrade" that is available on the DVDs from inside of a working OS.

Is this possible?

If not, is there a way that it could be added to the distribution in future releases?
In turn, is there a test DVD available that solves the issues with not being able to detect the hard drives in the LiveDVD enviroment?
projectle
Baby Hen

Postby Appleman1234 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 23:47

This is related to the SATA driver support and configuration in the kernel. It should improve in new releases. We are already working on improving the upgrade feature, but it is hard working off an image based install.
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby Goatee » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:59

Anyway, shouldn't this be in development suggestions?
Goatee
Sharecropper

Postby Appleman1234 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:25

Thanks Goatee, moved, but it is more a suggestion to upgrade the Sabayon Linux Installer features which has already been suggested.
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions