<-- ideas -->

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

<-- ideas -->

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Fri Feb 16, 2007 17:06

1. WIDGETS / GADGETS> Both Mac OS and Vista have set the standard. Users will expect to see these. Make a couple (clock, weather) start by default :)

A lot of people are shocked if they read about superkaramba because they were looking for their gadgets on a first linux experience and get a message with "PyQt is not installed or wrong version" etc.

2. people coming from other OS'es don't know the name Kopete or Gaim, they probably only now MSN, so choose a messenger to be on the desktop as a shortcut as default and rename it to kopete messenger or whatever so people know immediately where to find a messenger without knowing the names of applications (I know a lot of people who only use MSN with a headphone on their heads, listening to MP3 and that's it)

3. Replace Konqueror with Firefox as default browser(or opera), people coming from other OS'es probably never heard of konqueror and firefox is familiar for them, konqueror stays their filebrowser of course.
Konqueror has too much problems, hit 'show inbox' for a MSN account for example, it will stay in a loop instead of showing their inbox.
Some online banking sites don't allow konqueror.. yes you can fake another client but people coming from windows think "huh, it doesn't work, let's get back to windows".

Is it possible to implement Cedega in the future or something like that ?

gr.
Amp
Last edited by AmpLiF1eR on Fri Feb 16, 2007 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby Goatee » Fri Feb 16, 2007 17:23

we have wine!
Goatee
Sharecropper

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Fri Feb 16, 2007 17:32

Goatee wrote:we have wine!

Yes we have wine, but try to 'downgrade' your knowledge and think about people trying Linux for the first time.... they want the easiest distro because they are n00b so they hear about SabayonLinux, preconfigured etc. it just works... so they download it and start it up (probably because they heard the fuzz about Beryl that leaves Vista and OSX in dust).

They have never heard about Kopete or Gaim, they never heard about wine and they are missing their stupid widgets/gadgets of macosx and Vista.

So the most basic things... webbrowsing on a well-known browser that works everywhere can be easily fixed, a messenger to shout at their friends "yes, I'm on Linux now" can much easier be found by renaming and putting it on the desktop and they will see their familiar weather and clock on the desktop.

(I'm just thinking right now of first time users, not experienced Linux Geeks or whatever)
Last edited by AmpLiF1eR on Fri Feb 16, 2007 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby Goatee » Fri Feb 16, 2007 17:56

maybe we should include xwine
Goatee
Sharecropper

Postby Jesterhead » Fri Feb 16, 2007 23:20

Nice Idea with Kopete, (or gaim, should depend on the choosen Desktop after Install...)

Firefox, hm, no Idea, but would be maybe the better solution.

Widgets and so on, yes, this would be great,

Cedega: and who pays the licences? ;)

I would wait some time until wine-doors is ready (in the next weeks should be the first release).
Xwine is dead, or am i wrong with that?
Jesterhead
Old Dear Hen

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Fri Feb 16, 2007 23:22

Jesterhead wrote:Cedega: and who pays the licences? ;)

rofl... yeah ...stupid idea, forget it :D
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby Appleman1234 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 23:55

These ideas are good for new users, but I would prefer not to change Sabayon for new users, but rather change new users for Sabayon. If you get my meaning. Sabayon won't suit everyone, but the worst thing we can do is make it like a Windows clone.
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby terlmann » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:27

I know something usefull you haven't got!
This!>> http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Hello_World
signature banned. User banned by the Sabayon Linux Forum Staff.
terlmann
Growing Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions