Language Input Methods Enabled by Defualt.

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Language Input Methods Enabled by Defualt.

Postby Ghost Bird » Sat Jan 27, 2007 16:29

Yes... I know it's there sort of...

Let me start by saying once again. Sabayon is great work. I am hoping some ideas will make it better. I also am a total NOOB but have managed to work with my Sabayon fairly well. Still learning portage and only had one 'critical' error. I found the fix, but for some reason was unable to emerge the 'old' library for KDE. I spent more time trying and eventually reinstalled since I back everything up on external sources anyway and have now learned to lock that LIB.

In the future, I hope for 'NOOBS' to prevent breaking KDE, that they you may be able to have that Lib masked on the ISO image as default. The tinkerers will learn or know how to remove it if they wish I think.

I am in need of Language input other than English. I am a native English speaker and I teach and work in Asia. Now my need is Chinese. It may be another language later.

Yes, I 'have' read the Gentoo Wiki etc, on Scim and adding the language. I am in fact quite confused. I mean Sabayon has so much installed already. what do I need to just add, to make Skim/Scim work?

My suggestion, this is why I didn't go with some other Distro's, lack of language support is that Sabayon LiveDvD has it all, so:

Can SCIM simply be working with all the language input from the beginning? If someone only uses one language, they'll remove the applet if it annoys them. Or else simply not bother with it if they don't 'need' it. For those NOOBS like myself who do need it... it's not really easy to get it to work and in fact, I don't have it working... :(

I haven't figured out what to change... it seems you have all fonts here, so maybe I just need to add locales for input?

Still trying to get an answr...

I hope in 3.3 we can see this. I think everything is there and hope it's not hard for the Dev's. I use paypal and will be definately contributing...

I hope those little things that are 'big' challenges to NOOBS can be fixed to make Sabayon more user friendly.

:D
Ghost Bird
Young Hen

Postby Appleman1234 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:02

Hmm, I am not sure if we can guarantee mass language support out of the box, but I will see whether scripts which will become applications / wizards and documentation can be provided for this. As far as I know 3.2.6 already has SCIM and Skim installed you just need to configure and turn on.
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby cvill64 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 0:50

program called skim comes preinstalled with SL dvd, it helps with the input of asian languages ;)
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby Ghost Bird » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:34

Thanks for giving it some thought. :D I know you guys work hard. I understand exactly what Cvill64 means... I apologize for not being clearer. I know it's here. I 'don't' know 'how' to turn
it on? That's what I'm trying to figure out. Appleman has a good idea, some tutorials to tell you
how to set it up for the languages you want.

Some others trying to help in the forum had suggested only inputting the Locale might be necessary? Which was why I suggested just turn on all the locals? I have played with a couple of RPM Distros where this is the case and you just click Skim/Scim and you can enter in whatever Language you wish! :)

You guys have done a great job with as far as I can tell, every language being there and available to use as the default menu language. My fellow foreign teacher here, likes to always put his Linux
in Spanish as he's bilingual. I had him looking at Sabayon before he took a trip.

Like myself teaching in China, Chinese would be useful for him also. He's using Mandriva 2007 right now... just type and it works. The only thing in the way of turning it on was enabling a keyboard option. Then just telling it what you were using. KDE or Gnome set up. Skim/Scim.

As Sabayon is a little different... and :( I lack an programming skill at all. I don't know if that's a diffiuclt or easy thing. I know you guys work hard. 8) THiS is a great Distro and I really like it!
Ghost Bird
Young Hen

Postby CpuWhiz » Mon Feb 12, 2007 21:05

I also needed scim working. I am using the current version (3.26) and here is how I got it to work:

First off, I added the environment variables to /etc/profile (I could have also put it in .bashrc, but I just wanted it working for everyone):

Code: Select all
export [email protected]=SCIM
export [email protected]=SCIM
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
export QT_IM_MODULE=scim

Then I had to install scim-anthy (because I use anthy for Japanese input (most other input methods are installed by default)) and scim-qtimm (because they left it out, it would only work with GTK+ apps and not Qt apps. Finally in the skim configuration (skim started automatically for me) under the General SKIM->Other tab I changed the Panel Program to scim-panel-kde and the Config Module to kconfig. If you wanted the GTK tray icon, it would be a little different, but I use KDE and so does the LiveCD.

For the most part scim is installed already, there is just the few things listed above that need to be done to get it working. While it is easy for you to make these changes, it would be even better if they would be changed on the LiveCD for the benefit of all "n00bs". How was that for a first post :lol:
CpuWhiz
Baby Hen

Postby Appleman1234 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:13

That was good first post , thanks :)
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions