The FUD stope here!

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

The FUD stope here!

Postby davemc » Thu Feb 08, 2007 18:48

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/020 ... tml?page=5

Notice that Allison is no lightweight when it comes to the whole Novell/M$ deal. He's actually and most probably as close to an inside source as its going to get. Now, I know ive posted some stuff about this before, and for good reason IMO. The claims that so many Linux enthusiasts have about this whole thing are in, at least in some measure, are justified. To believe that M$ has anything other than dishonorable intentions here is just foolish. The only good outcome that can come from this is that interoperability issues could be worked out ~for a price~ . The worst case, and im leaning more and more in that direction every day based on what news reports I see, will be that Linux, or a part of it, will get legally subverted by M$ licencing deals and twisted maneuverings. Keep your eyes on this one gang, because its going to serve up a large measure of drama for the Linux world as a whole.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby frogimus » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:55

The near future will see whether copy-left, GNU, and all FOSS (gosh! i love acernims :? ) are legal equivalents to copyrights, et al.

The bad thing is that M$ is such a giant that there isn't much any gov't can/will do to them. It's time for another giant to step in the arena. Google has hinted at having their own OS - why not Linux? Why not a branch of Sabayon, for that matter? ATM, it seems the most refined of the distros. I wouldn't mind seeing our "farmers" strike it rich. Seriously, I think it will take a Google or an eBay to champion the GNU side of the battle. Google is the best shot cause they are already so heavily involved in "Summer of Code" type projects.

Linux is ready for prime time, other than an idiot-proofed installer/updater

the preceding comments are the deranged ramblings of a user that is suffering sleep deprivation and in no way express the views or opinions of the Sabayon staff, it's parent distro Gentoo, or bunky the wonder dog
frogimus
Growing Hen

Postby davemc » Fri Feb 09, 2007 15:31

Allison works for Google now. Go figure.
davemc
Sharecropper

Return to Off Topic