How sad!

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

How sad!

Postby davemc » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:05

davemc
Sharecropper

Postby Appleman1234 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:59

Mandriva will be back, do not worry :).
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby frogimus » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:08

Very sad. It seems that the business model of a free/open source distro being developed and sold for profit doesn't work - or at least is difficult to patch together. The shame is that Mandriva has done a lot for the advancement of Linux. Hopefully, they can make a turnaround - or maybe their balance sheets are better thanDistroWatch is making it out to be.

Is Google still looking to have its own OS? I was hoping that would be based on Sabayon, but...
frogimus
Growing Hen

Postby turquoise » Tue Feb 06, 2007 14:12

I sure hope they can get over that. They already did before, somewhere between Mandrake 8 and 9 if I recall correctly... Also, their fourth quarter ended on September 30th, which is right before Mandriva 2007 came out. That might explain the low numbers for that fourth quarter: lots of spending for the new offerring and low revenues from the previous release since people are waiting for the new one.

Mandriva is the distro that made me stick with Linux, and even if I don't agree with some of their moves and policies, I will be always grateful to them for making the switch going smoothly.
Ma philosophie d'apprentissage : essayer, et si ça casse, essayer de réparer.
My learning philosophy: try it, and if it breaks, try to fix it.
turquoise
Old Dear Hen

Return to Off Topic