Vista released!

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 22:46

I watched 3 news reports on the, supposedly, unbiased and non-commercial BBC. I couldn't help wondering who was being bribed :(
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby Appleman1234 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:34

davemc: That is rubbish, DX10 big deal, 9 was shit in comparsion to OpenGL and 10 doesn't have that many improvements, The gaming development companies and communities that matter, that make the games which matter, will always maintain OpenGL comptiability.

Linux has that many cool , nifty Open Source Games that it will never be dead to gaming. Stop spreading hype / fud. Randomguy: I was in your dream, in the store next door buying IBM AMD quadcore servers with 4 CPUs and 12GB of Ram, for about $300, and they all were running Sabayon / Gentoo preinstalled. :)

As for me mention SL 4.0 (We are not going straight to 4.0, but 4.0 will be a big release for us, just like Vista is a big release for Microsoft.)
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby cvill64 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:42

now, 3.3 will still be released in march

and yes, you will see wolfden in a pink tutu....it shall be a fun night ;)
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:57

:shock:
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby davemc » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:08

Appleman1234 wrote:davemc: That is rubbish, DX10 big deal, 9 was shit in comparsion to OpenGL and 10 doesn't have that many improvements, The gaming development companies and communities that matter, that make the games which matter, will always maintain OpenGL comptiability.

Linux has that many cool , nifty Open Source Games that it will never be dead to gaming. Stop spreading hype / fud. Randomguy: I was in your dream, in the store next door buying IBM AMD quadcore servers with 4 CPUs and 12GB of Ram, for about $300, and they all were running Sabayon / Gentoo preinstalled. :)

As for me mention SL 4.0 (We are not going straight to 4.0, but 4.0 will be a big release for us, just like Vista is a big release for Microsoft.)

Apple based on your reply I dont think you actually read that whole 3 page post about dx10 and the facts about it. This is not some kinda thing that MAC and the Linux community can just "work around". DX10 is being build in and around Vista. It is an integral part of the OS itself. It is so completely different from dx9 that they were even considering calling it by a different name entirely because it does not conform to the dx standards. Please read the news report, because this is not just a set of game and hardware drivers. The way it is structured is designed with the specific intent of destroying any OS other than M$ because the hardware manufacturers will be required to do whatever M$ tells them to do. OpenGL is indeed a wonderful project, as is wine and a thousand others --- all open source. Open Source gives ol Bill hives every time he even hears the word. Dont get lulled into a false sense of security regarding M$ because they have a long and distinguished track record of trashing their competition... See Novell/Suse for more details on this.

Oh! and Wolf. Looking forward to your pink tutu dance. Make sure you post it on youtube! Itll make you famous bud. :twisted:
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby Appleman1234 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:25

davemc: I read the atomicpc thing you posted (which was 1 page not 3). I do not care for Vista, care for DX 10, care for predictions and fear and undoubt and deception (FUD). So what DX10 only works on Vista, big deal, all the means that some XP users will be coming to Linux.

Linux won't need to work around it, and neither with Mac, they will both stick to OpenGL for their 3d Games, you obviously haven't seen the level of driver support Nvidia and ATI have for Linux, not to mention the open graphics card project.

I do not think you need to spread fear and negativity and doubt. Vista's release will not severly affect the success of Sabayon and Linux in general.

Do not get me started on The Microsoft / Novell thing, that is a load of FUD, if I ever saw one, (having looked at the Novell IRC logs and talked to Suse & Novell people about it) the amount of rubbish and the hype the media creates and people believe and spread is ridiculous.

I am sick of all the FUD spreading....
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby frogimus » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:05

Thank you, Appleman!
frogimus
Growing Hen

Postby davemc » Wed Jan 31, 2007 18:01

Appleman1234 wrote:davemc: I read the atomicpc thing you posted (which was 1 page not 3). I do not care for Vista, care for DX 10, care for predictions and fear and undoubt and deception (FUD). So what DX10 only works on Vista, big deal, all the means that some XP users will be coming to Linux.

Linux won't need to work around it, and neither with Mac, they will both stick to OpenGL for their 3d Games, you obviously haven't seen the level of driver support Nvidia and ATI have for Linux, not to mention the open graphics card project.

I do not think you need to spread fear and negativity and doubt. Vista's release will not severly affect the success of Sabayon and Linux in general.

Do not get me started on The Microsoft / Novell thing, that is a load of FUD, if I ever saw one, (having looked at the Novell IRC logs and talked to Suse & Novell people about it) the amount of rubbish and the hype the media creates and people believe and spread is ridiculous.

I am sick of all the FUD spreading....

The post is 1 page, replies 3 pages. If you read the whole 3 pages you get the general idea of the community. I actually couldnt agree more with most of what you say Apple. Im going off the information I see on sooo many websites and even major news media reports. M$ irrifutably has a long history of unfair business practices and they deserve the mistrust so many now have in them. Their goal is and has allways been to squeeze out any competition whatsoever and completely dominate the OS market. Thier past actions alone prove this to be true. Ol Bill just does not like to play nicely with others unfortunately, even though open cooperation and active involvement in the open source world would stimulate new development and benefit everyone greatly. But I guess well all find out where the truth lies very soon when it comes to Vista, and within 5 years for that whole Novell mess.

How is this all going to impact SL? I dont think its going to even break SL's stride. What this is all going to do is force Linux to go in perhaps a new direction (depending on how that whole dx10 thing pans out), and that may actually be a good thing when its all said and done.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby Appleman1234 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:43

http://www.degredo.net/ and enough said.
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby frogimus » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:30

Appleman1234 wrote:http://www.degredo.net/ and enough said.

I don't usually make the LOL replies to up my post count....

.....but.....

LOL ROFL w00t!!!

That one deserved it!
frogimus
Growing Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic