Vista released!

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Vista released!

Postby davemc » Tue Jan 30, 2007 16:04

"CNN--NEW YORK (AP) -- Acrobatics, blaring music and plenty of hype accompanied Microsoft Corp.'s long-delayed debut of its new Windows Vista operating system.

Hours before the software went on sale in New York, dancers clad in Microsoft colors dangled from ropes high above street level Monday and unfurled flags to form the red, green, blue and yellow Windows logo against a building wall.

Later, two explosively loud, percussion-heavy rock bands riled up Microsoft enthusiasts amid flashing lights at the Nokia Theatre -- temporarily renamed the Windows Vista Theatre -- in Times Square. As employees at Microsoft's Redmond, Washington, headquarters watched live video feeds, company-colored balloons dropped from the ceiling, a few wielding prizes."

..So when SL 3.3 is released are we going to see Cvil and Wolf dancing around in pink tutu's? lol!!

Seriously though, the level of hype M$ put into this release is just pathetic IMO and it shows just how desperate they have become. Vista was reviewed as being mediocre at best by TIME, NEWSWEEK, and many others and even in the above article, it says that the open source world is making great strides against M$. Others say that the iMAC has outcompeted M$ for years. Are we seeing the beginning of the end for M$ here?
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby Appleman1234 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 16:08

Who Cares ?

Now Sabayon 4.0 That is worth a forum post ;)
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Tue Jan 30, 2007 16:23

I saw it on the news today.... people waiting in line before the shops went open....
A girl told the reporter that she 'dreamed' about it... it's pathetic... :lol:

I prefer waiting to upgrade to sab3.3, then waiting for 3.35, 3.36 and then 4.0 etc etc =]
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby davemc » Tue Jan 30, 2007 17:08

Appleman1234 wrote:Who Cares ?

Now Sabayon 4.0 That is worth a forum post ;)

4.0? What about 3.3 to be released in ~March? Or are they going straight to 4.0?
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby tabrown72 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 18:23

I saw it on the news today.... people waiting in line before the shops went open....
A girl told the reporter that she 'dreamed' about it... it's pathetic...

Geez, I wonder if she was planted just for publicities sake.

As much as i love Linux I have never dreamed about it, maybe theres something wrong with me?

lol

[/quote]
tabrown72
Simple Hen

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Tue Jan 30, 2007 18:36

tabrown72 wrote:As much as i love Linux I have never dreamed about it, maybe theres something wrong with me?

you don't dream about Linux ??? that's bad, please visit a doctor !! :wink:
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby random guy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 18:40

OMG just last night i dreamed that a linux store opened in my mall. they were selling mandrivapowerpack editions for the usual large sum and official disks of others for like 1-2 dollars. it did look kinda like a toy store though, but with high tech stuff. i also remember asking the sale cerk for a wireless device that would work with linux out of the box and she gave me one for $2.20 lol.

best dream ever...
random guy
Advanced Hen

Lids on the coffin!

Postby davemc » Tue Jan 30, 2007 19:09

Yay!

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp ... 24636&pg=0

Vista and DX10 just killed DX9 and OpenGL looks like. Windows XP users will be forced to switch to Vista because DX10 will not run in an XP environment due to OS linking. This also is forcing Nvidia and ATI to develop based on what M$ dictates to them so...Guess what...Linux = dead for gaming possibly.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby random guy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 21:13

i dont know a lot about game developing but i dont think that games that are in development right now can easily be switched for directx 10. games wont be able to use 10 for a little bit i guess.

but you are right, we got to take some initiative and help nvidia help us or we'll be in trouble.
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby davemc » Tue Jan 30, 2007 21:22

The big games are working on making the switch as we speak. Its been predicted that full dx10 compatibility will be achieved certainly by years end. When that happens, say g'bye to OpenGL support most likely, which of course means ---
davemc
Sharecropper

Next

Return to Off Topic