The 3d wars has begun ??

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:30

davemc wrote:Details..Details... What sucks though is that 60 billion can buy alot of software and hardware vendors into thinking the M$ way. A superior OS like linux will be someday still wont be able to keep up with that kinda clout.

It all depends on what you see as the 'standard' for applications.
As long as people see things like 'MSN' , 'Office' and 'WMV' files as the "standard" for doing your things, Linux always have to keep up.
BUT if we change that standard, we don't have to keep up anymore !

gr.
Amp
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby frogimus » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:34

AmpLiF1eR wrote:It all depends on what you see as the 'standard' for applications.
As long as people see things like 'MSN' , 'Office' and 'WMV' files as the "standard" for doing your things, Linux always have to keep up.
BUT if we change that standard, we don't have to keep up anymore !

gr.
Amp

That starts at a corporate level. People use MS Office at work, they take work home, that's what they use there. They get comfy with it no metter whether it's the best or not. You change the GUI a little (such as OOo), people can't handle it.

I have friends that are school teachers. I give them a handful of OOo CD's to pass out to the kids for doing homework. Once you get people to accept that something can be free and still be legal - but, that is a difficult concept for some to understand...
frogimus
Growing Hen

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:20

yes, I agree.... what should we do to save the world ? :roll:
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby ed » Fri Jan 26, 2007 13:57

AmpLiF1eR wrote:yes, I agree.... what should we do to save the world ? :roll:

Prevent MS from bullying ISO intro approving it's awful file format. Office Open XML is a blatant lampoon of OpenDocument. Luckily it should not make it through the contradiction stage as it contradicts just about every ISO standard applicable, including the Gregorian calender!
ed
Simple Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sun Jan 28, 2007 0:00

Frogimus wrote:
That starts at a corporate level

Linux struggles under a major handicap - it's "Free".
Firstly; people want to know "What's the catch", then they decide it can't be any good or it's "amateurs" and not "professional" enough.
Secondly; the corporation buyers don't want to know because they'll lose all the corporate entertaining, the kick-backs, the bribes, the expense account lunches and the shear power of handling a multi-million dollar budget. This world runs on greed - for power, prestige and money - that's one reason why MS will continue to control the market.
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Sun Jan 28, 2007 0:47

If I had never tried Linux, I would be on XP and wouldn't complain that much because I didn't know better...

Now I'm stuck on Linux...
I tried windows Vista RC2, but it was boring, missed beryl and that stupid glass theme is downloadable for beryl too.... it was b*tching about a missing virusscanner etc etc.. and I know that if I download big movies and delete them after watching, I have to defragment again, damn... I hate windows...so I was back on Sabayon in just a couple of hours.
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby random guy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 17:15

ok i didnt try the messite disk so i dont have actual data to back it up (i will eventually download it) but supposedly it is kinda doing something different than beryl so it isnt exactly a war persay. beryl is more eyecandy this is more try to make a few adjustments to the desktop. i think it would be more appropriate to compare it to aigx than beryl.

anyway i like beryl but i can imagine someone with crappy hardware finding that this messite thing works fster for them without having to totally give up on eye candy.

by the way for anyone else who uses the beryl cvs: does it seem like it is getting slower. it is pretty early since last realease so i guess it makes sense that things are not necessarily working right but i recently reformated the partition because i messed up too much stuff with beta software and speed.

windows is in bigger trouble if i can get sabayon working right on my external hd and will be able to show it off to people. by the way would it be possible that by next release (supposedly it skipping to 4.0 soon i think) we can think about integrating a flash drive/usbhd option into the installer.
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby random guy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 17:18

i did try the lg3d disk from java and although i would never ever ever install it on my hd i did think it was innovative. would love if we could get some plugins for things like that in beryl.

or maybe just one beryl plugin that allows universal install of anything from lg3d project.
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby viking » Wed Jan 31, 2007 19:05

dunsurfin wrote:
Frogimus wrote:
That starts at a corporate level

Linux struggles under a major handicap - it's "Free".
Firstly; people want to know "What's the catch", then they decide it can't be any good or it's "amateurs" and not "professional" enough.
Secondly; the corporation buyers don't want to know because they'll lose all the corporate entertaining, the kick-backs, the bribes, the expense account lunches and the shear power of handling a multi-million dollar budget. This world runs on greed - for power, prestige and money - that's one reason why MS will continue to control the market.

Glad to see you maintain a good grip on the realities of life up in the real Newcastle.

(From a guy who lives next door to the poofy southern version -under-Lyme that is)

PS if you don't come from England don't waste your time trying to understand this post!!
viking
Growing Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 23:29

Viking wrote:
Glad to see you maintain a good grip on the realities of life up in the real Newcastle.

Of course we do! Can't afford the jam jars for Vista :)
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic