New CrossOver Runs WoW, Half-Life 2 On Linux

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

New CrossOver Runs WoW, Half-Life 2 On Linux

Postby wolfden » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:27

Would-be Windows-on-Linux gamers got a very early Christmas present Saturday, with the release by CodeWeavers of the first public beta of CrossOver 6.0, with support for World of Warcraft and other "steam-based" games such as Half Life 2 and Counterstrike.

CodeWeavers CEO Jeremy White wants to make sure, though, that everyone understands that "this is still beta software, and there are many issues remaining; we still have a ways to go until we feel comfortable considering it ready for release. While we greatly appreciate feedback on this release, if you don't like bleeding edge experimental software, we'd really rather you waited for a proper production version."

CodeWeavers has also released a new public beta of CrossOver Mac. This new version, which enables Intel Mac users to run Windows programs on Mac OS X, includes fixes to Internet Explorer and fixes for many programs that would run but then crash, such as Microsoft Office 2000. It also includes Outlook 2003 fixes and other improvements.

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3460199439.html

Get It Free 6.0 Beta:
http://www.codeweavers.com/beta/
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby pcatiprodotnet » Sun Dec 10, 2006 21:35

Is CrossOver Linux Beta easy to install on and fully compatible with Sabayon?
http://www.codeweavers.com/beta/cxlinux/
Last edited by pcatiprodotnet on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:09, edited 2 times in total.
pcatiprodotnet
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:49

yes, just read the directions on how to install
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby johnnyhay » Sat Dec 23, 2006 21:30

The beta for crossover works great, except I was getting 2-4 fps when I installed half life 2.
johnnyhay
Technological Hen

Postby davemc » Wed Jan 24, 2007 19:52

Hmm. Im going to try this out. I have my games running flawlessly in wine/cedega, although they do not have the full graphics when running in XP, ie. no pixel shaders will work. Also, there is the now well documented issue with sound multi-tasking. Well see if codeweavers has finally figured out how to bridge the divide... $40 though...Yuck!
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby davemc » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:47

Installed this and then installed my usual evil windows programs. First impressions proved that it is nothing more than a fancified version of wine they want you to pay $40 for. IE, when I installed ventrilo, it complained about not having the right GSM files. In wine I had to manually insert the GSM's and hack the registry and crossover I find im going to have to do the same for most likely the exact same functionality as running it with just wine for free. They have WoW working in it, but WoW also works in wine for free with the same setups/tweaking. Cedega runs all of the above flawlessly plus about a hundred other games to boot that Transgaming has allready tweaked for you. IMO, go with Cedega for gaming at least for now...
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby Appleman1234 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:51

Half Life 2 and Wow work in Normal Wine AFAIK.
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby st00ner » Tue Feb 13, 2007 20:42

lol. WINE works just fine? if i only could make it use arts for everything. Killing arts and using OSS works fine though. its just kinda annoying.

Is crossover wine for linux newbs or something?
st00ner
Baby Hen

Postby Jesterhead » Tue Feb 13, 2007 23:13

Crossover is wine + some patches and stuff ;)
So, if an app wont work with wine, give crossover a try.
Jesterhead
Old Dear Hen

Return to Off Topic