DVD selective package install

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

DVD selective package install

Postby mips » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:22

Would it be possible to have selective package installation for the DVD. In other words I select which packages from the DVD must be installed.

Stuff like base system, codecs etc can be installed by default but I really do not want the full DVD installed on my HD as there is to much bloat.

Could even do a similair thing for the mini-edition but it is not really required.

Nice little point and click interface would be nice.
mips
Young Hen

Postby Goatee » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:03

Old suggestion, not gonna happen at the moment
Goatee
Sharecropper

Postby ajez » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:56

spoke about that suggestion million of times ..

it's technically too difficult now to do .. don't expect to get this feature soon.
--
Core Beta/Site,Blog,Forum Admin
ajez
The Blamed One

Postby wilho » Wed Feb 07, 2007 13:26

Could you please tell what's so difficult in this? I mean, seems rather simple to me considering all other efforts done to make the distro work as fluently as it does.. I don't know nothing about the current installation procedure, but I suppose it's rather simple image copying from dvd to hd, and so the problem lies in managing dependencies and keeping portage acknowledged about installed stuff.

Installation therefore should be based on portage, where installable packages are binary ebuilds. If that's not doable, then the installation image could be splitted into non-debendable parts, like core containing common stuff for all other packages, desktop-environment-x and its libraries, desktop-environment-x'applications (by gategories maybe), desktop-environment-y and its.... and so on. This would lead something like there's going on with k/x/?ubuntu, not as modular and less manageable but improvement.

Just a thought. Shoot me down. Softly.
wilho
Baby Hen

Postby Appleman1234 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 13:58

No, not going to happen that way, mostly likely Sabayon will stay an automated image / automated stage 4 install at least for a while. Selective package installation and configuration would be done with filters as opposed to a binary portage based system. We will get this feature implemented eventually is it just a matter of time.

That said a smarter system would be a series of meta-ebuilds that filter the install :). I will try to work on it with the others when we get the time.
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions