Security features -

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Security features -

Postby jcbray » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:00

I'm not new to gentoo thorugh sabayon, although my skill level is fairly minimal, anyways, my first suggestion would be to include iptables support by default, so that a proper firewall can be set up. Many people consider linux simply because they hear of security benefits, but firewalls should be used regardless of OS if you're connected to the net. This should be deployed in the standard release of sabayon.

The second one I'd recomend would be a release focused entirely on security, perhaps built around the hardened-sources, in the same vein as the bio-edition. The obvious setbacks are that hardened-sources are a long way behind in development then vanilla-sources/gentoo-sources, so many people will lose a great deal of hardware support.

The second proposal there I feel is more a nice option, but simply that. The main hope of this proposal is the inclusion of a firewall into the standard release of Sabayon.

Cheers all!
jcbray
Young Hen

Postby johnnyhay » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:26

There's firestarter.
Open up konsole and type.
Code: Select all
su
 <-Root's password
firestarter
johnnyhay
Technological Hen

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:32

I'm scared to start it :roll:

lol, no it's just that I'm afraid that I wont succeed to have my amule, azureus and Kopete running like now with open tcp and udp ports, so I skipped the firewall part...
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby jcbray » Fri Jan 19, 2007 18:38

Well, I feel like a bit of a fool now (A) I had seen references to firestarter, but it wasn't in the programs list, and /etc/init.d/firestater had no results, so I assumed it was just a queer reference I'd seen. I've set up shorewall anyways which I'm happy with.

Cheers for the reply though.
jcbray
Young Hen

Postby johnnyhay » Sun Jan 21, 2007 19:42

It's because you have to log in as root to see firestarter in the kmenu but I think this problem could easily be fixed if sabayon had sub menu.
I already made some. Follow the link.
Code: Select all
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3223
johnnyhay
Technological Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions