BitTorrent Pirates Want Own Country

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

BitTorrent Pirates Want Own Country

Postby wolfden » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:34

In what could be seen as both marketing stunt and ploy for donations, popular Swedish BitTorrent site The Pirate Bay has announced intentions to raise money to purchase Sealand, a claimed "sovereign Principality" founded in international waters, six miles off the eastern shores of Britain.

The idea is to establish The Pirate Bay in a location where international copyright laws do not apply. The service, easily the most popular site hosting torrent files for downloading illicit content such as movies and television shows, has faced increasing pressure since being raided and forced to relocate from Sweden last May.

Although The Pirate Bay, like other torrent sites, hosts no copyrighted material itself, it plays a central role in facilitating the searching for and downloading of such content. Its operators have openly mocked and taunted those who threaten it with legal action.

If it does not raise enough money to buy Sealand, which is not much more than an offshore oil platform, the group says it will look into purchasing a small island and declaring it an independent nation.

"To make sure the owners [of Sealand] will be kopimistic and that the country won’t be governed by people that do not care about it’s future, we have come up with a plan. With the help of all the kopimists on Internets, we want to buy Sealand. Donate money and you will become a citizien," The Pirate Bay wrote on a Web site setup for the effort.

"It should be a great place for everybody. With high-speed Internets access, no copyright laws and vip accounts to The Pirate Bay." Thus far, the group has raised over $17,000.

Source:
http://www.betanews.com/article/BitTorr ... 1168972471

So it's cheaper to buy an island than it is to actually pay for the software?? I find this funny

http://www.buysealand.com/
it's an oil rig :lol:
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Appleman1234 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:26

Rofl
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby ed » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:49

It's not an oilrig. It's a 2nd world war gun platform. Legally it's a sunken ship as it was floated out and then sunk so it can not be claimed to be a country. It's a legal grey area and has never been taken by force as it's not worth it. It's very irresponsible for them to sell it as a pariah state like North Korea could try to buy it to make a nuisance of itself.

The attempt to buy it is clearly a hoax as how many people donating will be required to reach £65m? At the rate they're going, several million and that just won't happen. They'll take the money and run. If you look at the comments on buysealand.com you'll see how much of a bunhc of knobs these sort of people are.
ed
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:13

lol

yea I guess, someone opened a poll on male to female ratio for their future country. 138 males and 10 females :lol:

I wonder if I could get enough funds donated to colonize the moon. :?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby ed » Wed Jan 17, 2007 20:00

wolfden wrote:I wonder if I could get enough funds donated to colonize the moon. :?

OMG ZERG RUSH WE MUST DO THAT AND THEN WE CAN PIRATE TEH FILMZ AND TEH GAMEZS ON TEH MOON!!!!111111111111 ILL SET UP TEH INTARWEBZ FOR IT ITLL BE SO COOL AND WELL NEED JUST LIKE 10 BILLION SO IF EVERYONE IN TEH WORLD DONATES WELL BUY A SPACESHIP AND MOVE TO TEH MOON AND WELL PLAY TEH CS:S ALL TEH TIME ON TEH HACKED ACCOUNTS WITH AIMBOTS AND EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!11111111111111
ed
Simple Hen

Postby frogimus » Wed Jan 17, 2007 20:37

ed wrote:OMG ZERG RUSH WE MUST DO THAT AND THEN WE CAN PIRATE TEH FILMZ AND TEH GAMEZS ON TEH MOON!!!!111111111111 ILL SET UP TEH INTARWEBZ FOR IT ITLL BE SO COOL AND WELL NEED JUST LIKE 10 BILLION SO IF EVERYONE IN TEH WORLD DONATES WELL BUY A SPACESHIP AND MOVE TO TEH MOON AND WELL PLAY TEH CS:S ALL TEH TIME ON TEH HACKED ACCOUNTS WITH AIMBOTS AND EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

one word dood

decaf
frogimus
Growing Hen

Postby random guy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 21:26

wow everyone says "yait would be cool to have our own country" but with just a little bit of sense would say it could never happen. no one will donate close to that and it wouldnt work anyway.

say you got the island for free, just hypothetically. you would not have enough money or reasources to get a high speed internet connection there.
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby ed » Wed Jan 17, 2007 22:32

random guy wrote:you would not have enough money or reasources to get a high speed internet connection there.

There already is a high speed internet connection there:
http://www.havenco.com/
ed
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Jan 17, 2007 23:27

ed wrote:
wolfden wrote:I wonder if I could get enough funds donated to colonize the moon. :?

OMG ZERG RUSH WE MUST DO THAT AND THEN WE CAN PIRATE TEH FILMZ AND TEH GAMEZS ON TEH MOON!!!!111111111111 ILL SET UP TEH INTARWEBZ FOR IT ITLL BE SO COOL AND WELL NEED JUST LIKE 10 BILLION SO IF EVERYONE IN TEH WORLD DONATES WELL BUY A SPACESHIP AND MOVE TO TEH MOON AND WELL PLAY TEH CS:S ALL TEH TIME ON TEH HACKED ACCOUNTS WITH AIMBOTS AND EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

lmao :lol:
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Jesterhead » Wed Jan 17, 2007 23:40

I dont hope that Mark Shuttleworth reads this ^^

Ubuntu-land, hmmm

We should start a new fundraiser lol
Jesterhead
Old Dear Hen

Next

Return to Off Topic