Grub edit for startup issue

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

Mercurybird
Baby Hen

Grub edit for startup issue

Post by Mercurybird » Thu Sep 05, 2019 15:14

I have a good healthy install of Sabayo 19.3, I think. I am getting this error that keeps me from logging into it most of the time. Like right about now.

ATA1: comreset failed (errno=-16).

The error slowly fills up the screen and finally either lets me in, or fails. I have an rdsosreport.txt file I'll upload when I can get back into Sabayo. For now though found this which quiets the log file and lets you get into Sabayo. But it errors out. Someone named "Andur" posted a fix here;

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1234983

...but it is for Ubuntu, I think. So I think the directory structure is wrong for Sabayo. But if I get the directory structure to Grub correct it may work. This is what Andur posted

1. sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
2. change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=nomsi, noaer"
3. sudo update-grub

and the syslog gets quiet and useable again.

So what is the right path to grub?

joost
Sagely Hen

Re: Grub edit for startup issue

Post by joost » Thu Sep 05, 2019 18:57

Path seems about right, this is where you put in your custom grub commands, but on sabayon that file includes another file:

/etc/default/sabayon-grub

In this file you can find GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX so you best add it in there. (I think)

Afterwards you need to regenerate grub.cfg.
To regenerate the file, as root do:

Code: Select all

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

Mercurybird
Baby Hen

Re: Grub edit for startup issue

Post by Mercurybird » Thu Sep 05, 2019 23:22

Thank you Joost. But to add insult to injury, now I'm getting fatal dracut errors. So I did a reinstall and got the same results. I'm going to do another hardware change and start over. This is passing strange.