No wlan0 on older installation

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators


pottzie
Young Hen
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:42

Re: No wlan0 on older installation

Post by pottzie » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:01

Wow, sorry for the long response! I thought the thread was dead!

And...nothing, that is no wlan0, and i still haven't found a way to tell bash what my wireless is called. I know ethernet is enp0s18, but that's all. I've also tried using another wireless unit, a Realtek that shows: Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:0811 Realtek Semiconductor Corp, and apparently needs rtl8812au, which shows as being in the kernel since kernel 3.17.8

This may be/probably is a weird hardware issue. I've tried it on a Fedora live dvd and no wireless shows up on the latest version of Fedora as well.

User avatar
sabayonino
Sagely Hen
Posts: 3383
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:12
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: No wlan0 on older installation

Post by sabayonino » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:40

is your wifi card enabled on BIOS ? :mrgreen:

or your pc has a switch on/off for the wifi card ..

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen
Posts: 8199
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:40
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: No wlan0 on older installation

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 13:29

sabayonino wrote:is your wifi card enabled on BIOS ? :mrgreen:

or your pc has a switch on/off for the wifi card ..
+1.

Also, install rfkill and make sure the Wi-Fi card is neither soft blocked nor hard blocked:

Code: Select all

# equo install rfkill
Example from one of my laptops:

Code: Select all

# rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
1: hci0: Bluetooth
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
# rfkill block 0
# rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: yes
        Hard blocked: no
1: hci0: Bluetooth
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
# rfkill unblock 0
# rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
1: hci0: Bluetooth
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
# rfkill block wlan
# rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: yes
        Hard blocked: no
1: hci0: Bluetooth
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
# rfkill unblock wlan
# rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
1: hci0: Bluetooth
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
# 

pottzie
Young Hen
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:42

Re: No wlan0 on older installation

Post by pottzie » Fri Jun 30, 2017 21:53

Installed rfkill, it was already installed. rfkill list is blank, doesn't show or list anything. As for the bios, might be most likely, but odd, as this is an older, "orphan' PC, running a motherboard purchased from some guy I met in a grocery store parking lot that was advertised on Craigslist. It's worked fine for probably 5 years now, but was always connected through ethernet. ifconfig still shows only ethernet and local.

If I can get it working wirelessly I can go from DSL to using my cell data plan and save a few dollars every month, but why it doesn't work, not only on Sabayon but on both Fedora and Linux Mint live DVD's, is beyond me. may have to just bite the bullet and try another PC.

User avatar
sabayonino
Sagely Hen
Posts: 3383
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:12
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: No wlan0 on older installation

Post by sabayonino » Sat Jul 01, 2017 13:26

consider that your USB wifi-adapter couold be broken or some firmware wasn't loaded .

try to unplug and plugin USB adapter and see what "dmesg" command shows (last 30-40 lines should be fine) :wink:

Code: Select all

# dmesg | tail -n40

pottzie
Young Hen
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:42

Re: No wlan0 on older installation

Post by pottzie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 19:24

Code: Select all

[    6.832031] systemd[1]: Started Journal Service.
[    6.890845] systemd-journald[1660]: Received request to flush runtime journal from PID 1
[    7.246482] IT8712 SuperIO detected.
[    7.247327] parport_pc 00:08: reported by Plug and Play ACPI
[    7.247497] parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
[    7.252454] FUJITSU Extended Socket Network Device Driver - version 1.1 - Copyright (c) 2015 FUJITSU LIMITED
[    7.279309] FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
[    7.311159] shpchp: Standard Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version: 0.4
[    7.314847] agpgart: Detected VIA P4M890 chipset
[    7.353355] via_rhine: v1.10-LK1.5.1 2010-10-09 Written by Donald Becker
[    7.353432] via_rhine: Broken BIOS detected, avoid_D3 enabled
[    7.374919] agpgart-via 0000:00:00.0: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xd0000000
[    7.390742] via-rhine 0000:00:12.0 eth0: VIA Rhine II at 0x1d000, 00:e0:4d:5c:1a:01, IRQ 23
[    7.391683] via-rhine 0000:00:12.0 eth0: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x786d advertising 01e1 Link 45e1
[    7.393537] input: PC Speaker as /devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input5
[    7.401757] snd_hda_intel 0000:80:01.0: PCI: Disallowing DAC for device
[    7.407011] snd_hda_intel 0000:80:01.0: CORB reset timeout#1, CORBRP = 0
[    7.415096] coretemp coretemp.0: Using relative temperature scale!
[    7.415186] coretemp coretemp.0: Using relative temperature scale!
[    7.418697] intel_powerclamp: No package C-state available
[    7.424294] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: autoconfig for ALC662 rev1: line_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:line
[    7.424424] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:    speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[    7.424483] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:    hp_outs=1 (0x1b/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[    7.424540] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:    mono: mono_out=0x0
[    7.424594] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:    dig-out=0x1e/0x0
[    7.424649] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:    inputs:
[    7.424705] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:      Front Mic=0x19
[    7.424757] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:      Rear Mic=0x18
[    7.424809] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:      Line=0x1a
[    7.435429] input: HDA VIA VT82xx Front Mic as /devices/pci0000:80/0000:80:01.0/sound/card0/input6
[    7.441344] intel_powerclamp: No package C-state available
[    7.442213] input: HDA VIA VT82xx Rear Mic as /devices/pci0000:80/0000:80:01.0/sound/card0/input7
[    7.442470] input: HDA VIA VT82xx Line as /devices/pci0000:80/0000:80:01.0/sound/card0/input8
[    7.442644] input: HDA VIA VT82xx Line Out as /devices/pci0000:80/0000:80:01.0/sound/card0/input9
[    7.442908] input: HDA VIA VT82xx Front Headphone as /devices/pci0000:80/0000:80:01.0/sound/card0/input10
[    7.794377] ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
[    7.803902] via-rhine 0000:00:12.0 enp0s18: renamed from eth0
[    8.630470] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): enp0s18: link is not ready
[   11.572505] random: nonblocking pool is initialized
[   28.569931] python2.7[2363]: segfault at 10 ip 00007f42500ff015 sp 00007ffd095cf190 error 4 in libpython2.7.so.1.0[7f425003e000+17d000]
larry-pc larry # 


Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen
Posts: 8199
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:40
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: No wlan0 on older installation

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 17:27

The fact that the output you posted for the ifconfig command showed your wired Ethernet interface as 'enp0s18' rather than 'eth0' tells me your installation is using the so-called Predictable Network Interface Names (as does my installation). Therefore you should note that, even if Wi-Fi were working on your laptop, you would not see an interface named 'wlan0', you would see a wireless interface with some seemingly-random name such as 'wlp3s0' or whatever.

The instructions in my post on 29 May 2017 are almost certainly valid for your particular model of Belkin USB Wi-Fi adapter. Assuming your laptop's hardware and the USB device are not defective (you would need to try your laptop with a range of different USB Wi-Fi adapters to be sure), the problem might be that the latest available firmware is out-of-date (notice the date of the latest soft-MAC USB firmware version for the Intersil ISL3887 chipset on the prism54 firmware page), so I am beginning to think we are flogging a dead horse. Anyway, please plug your Belkin USB wireless adapter ("Belkin Components F5D7050 Wireless G Adapter v1000/v2000 [Intersil ISL3887]") into your laptop, reboot it then post the output of the following commands entered as root user:

Code: Select all

# uname -a
# dmesg | grep -i ethernet
# dmesg | grep -i "wifi\|wi-fi\|wireless"
# dmesg | grep -i "error\|warning"
# ls -la /lib/firmware/isl*
# cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
# lsusb
# lsmod
# ifconfig
# rfkill list
# systemctl | grep -i net
# journalctl -b -u NetworkManager
# journalctl -b -u NetworkManager -o verbose | grep -i wifi
# journalctl -b | grep -i "error\|warning" | grep -i net

pottzie
Young Hen
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:42

Re: No wlan0 on older installation

Post by pottzie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:58

Here's the results. For what it's worth, this is on a PC, not a laptop. I have Sabayon on a laptop too, and it's worked fine on wireless since day one.

Code: Select all

larry-pc larry #  uname -a
Linux larry-pc 4.7.0-sabayon #1 SMP Fri Oct 28 07:47:36 UTC 2016 x86_64 Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
larry-pc larry # dmesg | grep -i ethernet
larry-pc larry # dmesg | grep -i "wifi\|wi-fi\|wireless"
larry-pc larry # dmesg | grep -i "error\|warning"
[   28.569931] python2.7[2363]: segfault at 10 ip 00007f42500ff015 sp 00007ffd095cf190 error 4 in libpython2.7.so.1.0[7f425003e000+17d000]
larry-pc larry # ls -la /lib/firmware/isl*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 29736 Jun  1 15:57 /lib/firmware/isl3887usb
larry-pc larry # cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
# This file lists modules which will not be loaded by udev,
# not at coldplugging and not on hotplug events.

# Add your own entries to this file
# in the format "blacklist <name of module>"

# Some examples:
# evbug is a debug tool and should be loaded explicitly
blacklist evbug

# Autoloading eth1394 most of the time re-orders your network
# interfaces, and with buggy kernel 2.6.21, udev persistent-net
# is not able to rename these devices, so you get eth?_rename devices
# plus an exceeded 30sec boot timeout
blacklist eth1394

# You probably want this to not get the console beep loud on every tab :)
#blacklist pcspkr

# these drivers are very simple, the HID drivers are usually preferred
#blacklist usbmouse
#blacklist usbkbd

# Sometimes loading a framebuffer driver at boot gets the console black
#install pci:v*d*sv*sd*bc03sc*i* /bin/true

# hplip and cups 1.4+ use raw USB devices, so it requires usblp not be loaded
blacklist usblp

## make broadcom-sta happy
## <2012-12-08.
#blacklist ssb
#blacklist bcma
#blacklist brcmsmac
#blacklist b43

# make b43 happy (ditch broadcom-sta)
# 2012-12-08. Testing needed.
blacklist wl

# keep nvidia-drivers working, sorry nouveau
blacklist nouveau

# Known to cause kernel OOPS at boot
blacklist ite_cir

# Prevents kernel message: Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered, aborting...
blacklist snd-pcsp
larry-pc larry # lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:d711 Hewlett-Packard 
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 050d:7050 Belkin Components F5D7050 Wireless G Adapter v1000/v2000 [Intersil ISL3887]
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0461:4d0f Primax Electronics, Ltd HP Optical Mouse
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
larry-pc larry # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
rt73usb                23304  0
rt2500usb              19080  0
rt2x00usb               8772  2 rt73usb,rt2500usb
rt2x00lib              34986  3 rt73usb,rt2x00usb,rt2500usb
p54usb                 11648  0
p54common              27570  1 p54usb
mac80211              367343  4 p54common,rt2x00lib,rt2x00usb,p54usb
cfg80211              223908  3 mac80211,p54common,rt2x00lib
crc_ccitt               1595  1 p54common
ppdev                   7048  0
snd_hda_codec_realtek    55848  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    51604  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
input_leds              2816  0
coretemp                5704  0
snd_hda_intel          22080  4
serio_raw               4608  0
pcspkr                  1920  0
i2c_viapro              6360  0
via_rhine              21712  0
mii                     4192  1 via_rhine
shpchp                 22207  0
via_agp                 5760  1
fjes                   20213  0
parport_pc             27945  0
floppy                 56209  0
tpm_tis                10648  0
tpm                    29171  1 tpm_tis
sch_fq_codel            7616  2
ipv6                  335307  60
virtio_pci             14071  0
virtio_scsi            10641  0
virtio_blk              8864  0
virtio_net             22002  0
virtio_console         18660  0
virtio_balloon          5714  0
virtio_ring            11059  6 virtio_blk,virtio_net,virtio_pci,virtio_balloon,virtio_console,virtio_scsi
virtio                  5511  6 virtio_blk,virtio_net,virtio_pci,virtio_balloon,virtio_console,virtio_scsi
xts                     3143  0
gf128mul                5915  1 xts
aes_x86_64              7631  0
sha512_generic          5913  0
sha256_generic         10457  0
iscsi_tcp               9070  0
libiscsi_tcp           12474  1 iscsi_tcp
tg3                   150285  0
ptp                    10716  1 tg3
pps_core                8769  1 ptp
e1000                 114501  0
fuse                   79317  3
overlay                33885  0
xfs                   556617  0
nfs                   121455  0
lockd                  57969  1 nfs
grace                   1922  1 lockd
sunrpc                178698  2 nfs,lockd
jfs                   163961  0
reiserfs              222884  0
ext4                  371722  1
jbd2                   56816  1 ext4
ext2                   62239  0
mbcache                 4178  3 ext2,ext4
firewire_core          49126  0
sl811_hcd              16208  0
xhci_plat_hcd           3844  0
xhci_pci                5214  0
xhci_hcd              140188  2 xhci_plat_hcd,xhci_pci
ohci_pci                4296  0
ohci_hcd               35324  1 ohci_pci
sx8                    13092  0
imm                    10776  0
hid_generic             1449  0
pata_pcmcia            10268  0
pcmcia                 43708  1 pata_pcmcia
snd_hda_codec          86895  3 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_core           45577  4 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
uhci_hcd               33299  0
snd_hwdep               6058  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                80870  3 snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_core
snd_timer              20199  1 snd_pcm
snd                    58251  15 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
ehci_pci                4591  0
ehci_hcd               62673  1 ehci_pci
agpgart                25942  1 via_agp
parport                32638  3 imm,ppdev,parport_pc
larry-pc larry #  ifconfig
enp0s18: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        ether 00:e0:4d:5c:1a:01  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 1791451  bytes 932648609 (889.4 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 1648989  bytes 306441713 (292.2 MiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
        inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
        inet6 ::1  prefixlen 128  scopeid 0x10<host>
        loop  txqueuelen 1  (Local Loopback)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

larry-pc larry # rfkill list
larry-pc larry # systemctl | grep -i net
sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:12.0-net-enp0s18.device                                   loaded active plugged   VT6102/VT6103 [Rhine-II]                                          
sys-subsystem-net-devices-enp0s18.device                                                 loaded active plugged   VT6102/VT6103 [Rhine-II]                                          
NetworkManager.service                                                                   loaded active running   Network Manager                                                   
systemd-timesyncd.service                                                                loaded active running   Network Time Synchronization                                      
network.target                                                                           loaded active active    Network                                                           
larry-pc larry # journalctl -b -u NetworkManager
-- Logs begin at Wed 2016-08-31 21:41:06 EDT, end at Thu 2017-07-13 07:51:20 EDT
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc systemd[1]: Starting Network Manager...
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.3608] Network
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.3610] Read co
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.4038] manager
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.4136] dns-mgr
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.4192] manager
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.4214] manager
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc systemd[1]: Started Network Manager.
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5059] setting
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5578] setting
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5579] setting
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5585] dhcp-in
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5586] manager
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5587] manager
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5588] manager
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5589] Loaded 
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5590] Loaded 
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5591] Loaded 
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5591] Loaded 
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5592] Loaded 
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5593] Loaded 
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5593] Loaded 
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5594] Loaded 
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5594] Loaded 

larry-pc larry # journalctl -b -u NetworkManager -o verbose | grep -i wifi
    MESSAGE=<info>  [1498854852.4192] manager[0x1c6a0e0]: WiFi hardware radio set enabled
    MESSAGE=<info>  [1498854852.5586] manager: WiFi enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state file
    MESSAGE=<info>  [1498854852.5675] Loaded device plugin: NMWifiFactory (/usr/lib64/NetworkManager/libnm-device-plugin-wifi.so)
larry-pc larry # journalctl -b | grep -i "error\|warning" | grep -i net
larry-pc larry # 


Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen
Posts: 8199
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:40
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: No wlan0 on older installation

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 13:06

pottzie wrote:this is on a PC, not a laptop. I have Sabayon on a laptop too, and it's worked fine on wireless since day one.
Do you mean that the same Belkin USB Wi-Fi adapter works fine with your laptop but not your desktop PC? If you do mean that, at least it would exonerate the USB Wi-Fi adapter itself from being faulty. And, as you are using Sabayon Linux on both the laptop and the desktop PC, are they both using the same kernel image and are they both fully upgraded to all the latest packages?
pottzie wrote:Here's the results. For what it's worth, this is on a PC, not a laptop. I have Sabayon on a laptop too, and it's worked fine on wireless since day one.

Code: Select all

larry-pc larry #  uname -a
Linux larry-pc 4.7.0-sabayon #1 SMP Fri Oct 28 07:47:36 UTC 2016 x86_64 Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
larry-pc larry # dmesg | grep -i ethernet
larry-pc larry # dmesg | grep -i "wifi\|wi-fi\|wireless"
larry-pc larry # dmesg | grep -i "error\|warning"
[   28.569931] python2.7[2363]: segfault at 10 ip 00007f42500ff015 sp 00007ffd095cf190 error 4 in libpython2.7.so.1.0[7f425003e000+17d000]
larry-pc larry # ls -la /lib/firmware/isl*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 29736 Jun  1 15:57 /lib/firmware/isl3887usb
larry-pc larry # cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
# This file lists modules which will not be loaded by udev,
# not at coldplugging and not on hotplug events.

# Add your own entries to this file
# in the format "blacklist <name of module>"

# Some examples:
# evbug is a debug tool and should be loaded explicitly
blacklist evbug

# Autoloading eth1394 most of the time re-orders your network
# interfaces, and with buggy kernel 2.6.21, udev persistent-net
# is not able to rename these devices, so you get eth?_rename devices
# plus an exceeded 30sec boot timeout
blacklist eth1394

# You probably want this to not get the console beep loud on every tab :)
#blacklist pcspkr

# these drivers are very simple, the HID drivers are usually preferred
#blacklist usbmouse
#blacklist usbkbd

# Sometimes loading a framebuffer driver at boot gets the console black
#install pci:v*d*sv*sd*bc03sc*i* /bin/true

# hplip and cups 1.4+ use raw USB devices, so it requires usblp not be loaded
blacklist usblp

## make broadcom-sta happy
## <2012-12-08.
#blacklist ssb
#blacklist bcma
#blacklist brcmsmac
#blacklist b43

# make b43 happy (ditch broadcom-sta)
# 2012-12-08. Testing needed.
blacklist wl

# keep nvidia-drivers working, sorry nouveau
blacklist nouveau

# Known to cause kernel OOPS at boot
blacklist ite_cir

# Prevents kernel message: Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered, aborting...
blacklist snd-pcsp
larry-pc larry # lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:d711 Hewlett-Packard 
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 050d:7050 Belkin Components F5D7050 Wireless G Adapter v1000/v2000 [Intersil ISL3887]
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0461:4d0f Primax Electronics, Ltd HP Optical Mouse
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
larry-pc larry # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
rt73usb                23304  0
rt2500usb              19080  0
rt2x00usb               8772  2 rt73usb,rt2500usb
rt2x00lib              34986  3 rt73usb,rt2x00usb,rt2500usb
p54usb                 11648  0
p54common              27570  1 p54usb
mac80211              367343  4 p54common,rt2x00lib,rt2x00usb,p54usb
cfg80211              223908  3 mac80211,p54common,rt2x00lib
crc_ccitt               1595  1 p54common
ppdev                   7048  0
snd_hda_codec_realtek    55848  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    51604  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
input_leds              2816  0
coretemp                5704  0
snd_hda_intel          22080  4
serio_raw               4608  0
pcspkr                  1920  0
i2c_viapro              6360  0
via_rhine              21712  0
mii                     4192  1 via_rhine
shpchp                 22207  0
via_agp                 5760  1
fjes                   20213  0
parport_pc             27945  0
floppy                 56209  0
tpm_tis                10648  0
tpm                    29171  1 tpm_tis
sch_fq_codel            7616  2
ipv6                  335307  60
virtio_pci             14071  0
virtio_scsi            10641  0
virtio_blk              8864  0
virtio_net             22002  0
virtio_console         18660  0
virtio_balloon          5714  0
virtio_ring            11059  6 virtio_blk,virtio_net,virtio_pci,virtio_balloon,virtio_console,virtio_scsi
virtio                  5511  6 virtio_blk,virtio_net,virtio_pci,virtio_balloon,virtio_console,virtio_scsi
xts                     3143  0
gf128mul                5915  1 xts
aes_x86_64              7631  0
sha512_generic          5913  0
sha256_generic         10457  0
iscsi_tcp               9070  0
libiscsi_tcp           12474  1 iscsi_tcp
tg3                   150285  0
ptp                    10716  1 tg3
pps_core                8769  1 ptp
e1000                 114501  0
fuse                   79317  3
overlay                33885  0
xfs                   556617  0
nfs                   121455  0
lockd                  57969  1 nfs
grace                   1922  1 lockd
sunrpc                178698  2 nfs,lockd
jfs                   163961  0
reiserfs              222884  0
ext4                  371722  1
jbd2                   56816  1 ext4
ext2                   62239  0
mbcache                 4178  3 ext2,ext4
firewire_core          49126  0
sl811_hcd              16208  0
xhci_plat_hcd           3844  0
xhci_pci                5214  0
xhci_hcd              140188  2 xhci_plat_hcd,xhci_pci
ohci_pci                4296  0
ohci_hcd               35324  1 ohci_pci
sx8                    13092  0
imm                    10776  0
hid_generic             1449  0
pata_pcmcia            10268  0
pcmcia                 43708  1 pata_pcmcia
snd_hda_codec          86895  3 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_core           45577  4 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
uhci_hcd               33299  0
snd_hwdep               6058  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                80870  3 snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_core
snd_timer              20199  1 snd_pcm
snd                    58251  15 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
ehci_pci                4591  0
ehci_hcd               62673  1 ehci_pci
agpgart                25942  1 via_agp
parport                32638  3 imm,ppdev,parport_pc
larry-pc larry #  ifconfig
enp0s18: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        ether 00:e0:4d:5c:1a:01  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 1791451  bytes 932648609 (889.4 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 1648989  bytes 306441713 (292.2 MiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
        inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
        inet6 ::1  prefixlen 128  scopeid 0x10<host>
        loop  txqueuelen 1  (Local Loopback)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

larry-pc larry # rfkill list
larry-pc larry # systemctl | grep -i net
sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:12.0-net-enp0s18.device                                   loaded active plugged   VT6102/VT6103 [Rhine-II]                                          
sys-subsystem-net-devices-enp0s18.device                                                 loaded active plugged   VT6102/VT6103 [Rhine-II]                                          
NetworkManager.service                                                                   loaded active running   Network Manager                                                   
systemd-timesyncd.service                                                                loaded active running   Network Time Synchronization                                      
network.target                                                                           loaded active active    Network                                                           
larry-pc larry # journalctl -b -u NetworkManager
-- Logs begin at Wed 2016-08-31 21:41:06 EDT, end at Thu 2017-07-13 07:51:20 EDT
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc systemd[1]: Starting Network Manager...
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.3608] Network
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.3610] Read co
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.4038] manager
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.4136] dns-mgr
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.4192] manager
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.4214] manager
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc systemd[1]: Started Network Manager.
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5059] setting
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5578] setting
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5579] setting
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5585] dhcp-in
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5586] manager
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5587] manager
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5588] manager
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5589] Loaded 
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5590] Loaded 
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5591] Loaded 
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5591] Loaded 
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5592] Loaded 
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5593] Loaded 
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5593] Loaded 
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5594] Loaded 
Jun 30 16:34:12 larry-pc NetworkManager[1860]: <info>  [1498854852.5594] Loaded 

larry-pc larry # journalctl -b -u NetworkManager -o verbose | grep -i wifi
    MESSAGE=<info>  [1498854852.4192] manager[0x1c6a0e0]: WiFi hardware radio set enabled
    MESSAGE=<info>  [1498854852.5586] manager: WiFi enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state file
    MESSAGE=<info>  [1498854852.5675] Loaded device plugin: NMWifiFactory (/usr/lib64/NetworkManager/libnm-device-plugin-wifi.so)
larry-pc larry # journalctl -b | grep -i "error\|warning" | grep -i net
larry-pc larry # 

These are the results you got with your desktop PC, right? The machine that does not work with the Belkin USB Wi-Fi adapter, correct?

You don't have the following lines in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (see the instructions in my post on 29 May 2017):

Code: Select all

blacklist rt2500usb
blacklist rt73usb

Post Reply