systemd endless loop after equo upgrade [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

systemd endless loop after equo upgrade [Solved]

Postby shade304 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 17:46

After July 29 when I type equo update and reboot, the computer will no longer boot successfully, it complains in an endless loop. Manually holding down the power button and then using grub to select Sabayon recovery mode will boot as normal.

systemd[1]: Job local-fs.target/start deleted to break ordering cycle starting with basic.target/start
systemd[1]: Breaking ordering cycle by deleting job local-fs.target/start

these continue to scroll continuously really fast in different orders alternating and in groups of three..

Any suggestions on trouble shooting what this could be?
shade304
Simple Hen

Re: systemd endless loop after equo upgrade

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:53

Googling that error message finds posts about broken systemd symlinks in the /etc/systemd/system/ directory, so check if you have any broken symlinks and delete them if you're sure they lead nowhere. You'd also better make sure you are fully up-to-date:

Code: Select all
$ su
Password:
# equo cleanup
# equo update
# equo upgrade
# equo conf update
# equo libtest
# equo deptest
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby shade304 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 0:12

Thank you for the information, I did try the steps, and they were very exhaustive, but didn't change the end result. Also a second computer has developed the same condition. I'm not sure how it got upgraded, we threatened with certain death anyone to equo upgrade, but on reboot it has the same problem, so someone must have.

It was installed from an older sabayon disk and somewhere along the way converted from /etc/initd to the new system d. Both computers have the same motherboard / graphics (intel) / memory /processor.. This one has spinning hard drives with LVM, the other has ssd with linux RAID.

The thing different from a standard sabayon install is both connect to another computer using NFS, so nfs-utils installed, and we use hplip to scan over the network. Upon upgrading to the new version the scanner will scan once fine, but on exit locks up and ask to wait or quit, after that it won't ever scan again. Also it can't boot unless you select the recovery option.

I have reinstalled the first computer 3 times, so the process is repeatable, and consistent.

Is there a way to tell what changes were made by equo so we can determine when someone did an equo upgrade, and will it tell what packages were upgraded?

Is there a way to equo downgrade, so we can undo the last change until a fix is in store?

I haven't had any trouble with the may disc, but the july gives the trouble. Also, in order to install with the july disc I have to use the option "nomodeset" although I can get an installed installation to run without it, was there a change that caused this? I thought this was a problem for graphics cards, not onboard graphics..

Could we make a equo fix systemd command? I don't understand why the recovery option works and the regular doesn't, is there a way to write the recovery setup to the default and just use it?

I hope this is helpfull, and I do wonder why the problem isn't widespread?
shade304
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:32

/var/log/entropy/ has log file of stuff done, maybe that can lead you to some clues

There really isn't a downgrade path available unless you are like running limbo repo.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:15

shade304 wrote:It was installed from an older sabayon disk and somewhere along the way converted from /etc/initd to the new system d.

Hmm... perhaps that is the reason you are having trouble. Some time ago I tried to upgrade a SL installation (sorry, cannot remember the version of the LiveDVD from which it had been installed) that had started out using OpenRC and that I had migrated to systemd (using "eselect sysvinit set systemd && eselect settingsd set systemd"), but it broke and I had to start from scratch installing from a LiveDVD of a newer version of SL based on systemd. But, if I understand you correctly, now you are trying to install from a LiveDVD of a newer version of SL based on systemd, and are still not having any success?

Have you looked at the boot parameters (the lines beginning with "linux /kernel-genkernel-") in the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg in the working and non-working installations? The difference(s) may give you a hint as to what is wrong. Also, the command "systemctl --all" (press Space to page through, and "q" to quit) will show you if there are any missing services.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby shade304 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 23:49

Is there a way to see a list of what systemd does on boot up in both recovery mode and regular mode? If so, it would be easier to trouble shoot. They should have a broken mode where you could approve each line one at a time to find out what is wrong! Why doesn't Ctl+C work on start up, that might be able to break free and figure it out also.
shade304
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Sep 11, 2014 20:53

Have a look at the Troubleshooting section of the Arch Wiki article on systemd:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby shade304 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:53

So I abandoned that computer all together and switched to my laptop, no problems until one day on reboot it give the prompt to "Ctl D" to continue or login, of course Ctl D doesn't work, but luckily I was able to log in. Tracing back to what changes happened I had added 2 lines to /etc/fstab I was looking in all kinds of places for systemd errors but it never occurred to me to look in fstab! The lines in question:

192.168.1.10:/export/My-Company /media/My\040Company nfs rw,soft,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,intr 0 0
/media/My\040Company/Pictures /home/myuser/Pictures/ none bind 0 0

changing to:
#192.168.1.10:/export/My-Company /media/My\040Company nfs rw,soft,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,intr 0 0
#/media/My\040Company/Pictures /home/myuser/Pictures/ none bind 0 0

and everything works fine, except that after every startup I need to edit those out, and mount -a then put them back.. I little bit of a hassle..

Is it breaking because of the spaces? What scripts are handling fstab? It seams like it might dynamically generate systemd scripts based on the content, but it scrolls so fast that might not be accurate, any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!
shade304
Simple Hen

Postby sabayonino » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:39

shade304 wrote:So I abandoned that computer all together and switched to my laptop, no problems until one day on reboot it give the prompt to "Ctl D" to continue or login, of course Ctl D doesn't work, but luckily I was able to log in. Tracing back to what changes happened I had added 2 lines to /etc/fstab I was looking in all kinds of places for systemd errors but it never occurred to me to look in fstab! The lines in question:

192.168.1.10:/export/My-Company /media/My\040Company nfs rw,soft,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,intr 0 0
/media/My\040Company/Pictures /home/myuser/Pictures/ none bind 0 0

changing to:
#192.168.1.10:/export/My-Company /media/My\040Company nfs rw,soft,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,intr 0 0
#/media/My\040Company/Pictures /home/myuser/Pictures/ none bind 0 0

and everything works fine, except that after every startup I need to edit those out, and mount -a then put them back.. I little bit of a hassle..

Is it breaking because of the spaces? What scripts are handling fstab? It seams like it might dynamically generate systemd scripts based on the content, but it scrolls so fast that might not be accurate, any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

you have a probem with nfs 'cause nfs starts before the *net.service starts (specially if you're using a laptop)

I have more nfs munt point in my local net and I solved this prob appending into root cron job the following lines :

edit root cron job
# crontab -e

append your nfs and bind mount point into cronjob
@reboot sleep 30 ; mount <your_nfs_mount_point> && mount <your_bind_mount_point>

of course , uncomment the lines in /etc/fstab

in your case :
@reboot sleep 30 ; mount  /media/My\040Company && mount  /home/myuser/Pictures/

all mount points are mounted after 30 second while root bash starts

you can try change sleep <time__in_seconds> command but I think 30 secs are fine
Last edited by sabayonino on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:47, edited 1 time in total.
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby shade304 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:24

This is a good solution, but I will have to use long hand mount command and not use fstab, it just can't boot with those lines in fstab. The error message is:

Mounted /home
Mounting /boot
Failed to mount /media/My Company.
'systemctl status media-My\x20Company.mount' for details
Dependancy failed for Remote File Systems.
Dependancy failed for /home/myuser/Pictures.
Dependancy failed for Local File Systems

I snapped a picture of it with my cell phone.. I hope it helps, of course running the systemctl command returns a not found , and I've looked around for the mount file, and can't find it, I think it must be made on the fly or something..
shade304
Simple Hen

Next

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers