I need a fully working system: can Sabayon be my disto?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

I need a fully working system: can Sabayon be my disto?

Postby maccabbeo » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:23

Hi to all,
I'm an newbie with Sabayon/Gentoo, I'm Ubuntu-based-distro user since 2006. I had almost everything working perfectly with Ubutnu but the same hardware devices (external devices) are definitively not working on Sabayon. I've already reported such problems here on this forum, but the solution seems to be long time taking to be solved, mostly due to late or no replies on this forum. On the other hand, posting on the Gentoo forums had already generated some replies of this kind: "this is Gentoo, not Sabayon: post on Sabayon forum".

So, what I want to ask now? Am I asking to focus only on my problems until you guys solve them for me? NO. I'm just asking you to help me understanding:
a) whether there is a solution to the problems listed below, at least some suggestions about workarounds or tries I should do
b) in case of no solutions/workaround/suggestion whether I should be waiting and for how long, after telling me whether sooner or later (hopefully before I die) someone will take care of the problems below.

Unable to fully mount my iPhone 4
Unable to install Brother DCP-145C
Unable to install Canon i-Sensys LBP2900

I'm sure you do care about making Sabayon better as well as I'm sure you are working hard to solve other problems surely more important than those. However, at the moment I'm not independent and I'm not able to work properly with Sabayon (come on: I have two printers and none of them is working with Sabayon!).
So, be sure I know that you are few people and working hard, that this is not a paid-support forum, so please avoid reminding me too all the rest of the things I already know about that. As you can see, I'm also contributing as much as I can: I'm new, but I've already been creating 15 threads, half of them have been marked as [Solved] and helped other people solve same problems than mine. However I'm not able to solve the problems of above, that's why I wish you could tell me whether there is someone able to show me the way to solve those.

Waiting for replies... hopefully soon unlikely some other threads where I'm still waiting for any (even stupid) reply since more than 2 weeks...

Thanks for reading,
thanks for understanding,
thanks for sharing your ideas,
thanks for avoiding reminding me this is not a paid-support forum.

Regards.
maccabbeo
Simple Hen

Re: I need a fully working system: can Sabayon be my disto?

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:05

Exactly, I've decided for Sabayon for mainly 2 reasons:
1. I love KDE (since version 1.1 of SuSE) and there are not really many choices for KDE distros. I've had Kubuntu, after SuSE has owned control over the scripts. I've tried Chakra after Kubuntu, which was with too many problems.
2. I love to have actual packages, KDE and Kernel, which is here given by rolling releases of Sabayon.

These are my reasons. However, a rolling release is not really meant to be a stable release. You must realize, there are more problems due to the upgrades, which are often insufficient. If you are not firm enough with your distro, then a rolling release is not first choice, it shouldn't.
What I may recommend you, is a view on Linux Mint. They have a better credit than Ubuntu itself. And because you have experience with Ubuntu, you will feel home.
I'm glad, when my chosen distro can give me (most of) that what I want, what I need. And I'm honest enough, when I don't see that in a distro I was resp. I am using, here SuSE, Kubuntu and Chakra also.
I really would like to do Gentoo pure, but I fear, I don't have the time and the hardware for compiling again and again, but who knows? Maybe in future.
However, find a good solution for you. Linux and with it, the distro you chose, is living, that means you need take time for it to understand. So, what is your priority and then make the best decision you can.
Be conscious of that not every question, every problem has an answer. Maybe there are alternative programs, a different way also.
Hope to help you.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)

Edit: especially hardware is a very sensitive topic for linux. Though many devices are supported more or less, it would would be good to chose your device, which is supported by Linux, esp. printers, where is a lot of choices.
TTIP is NOT YET stopped. Especially consider NHS and ISDS topics. Talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby albfneto » Sun Jun 08, 2014 22:50

Sabayon not have in mind to be a stable linux, is a rolling release linux, centered over to have new packages, new kernels and new drivers.
with sabayon, you not have to reinstall, or wait a new version.
this forum is small, Sabayon Community is not so large as the Ubuntu Community.
Sabayon is not a big company, for this. the replies are not fast.
I'm a Brasilian Sabayon user, for me, there is no other Linux better than Sabayon. I use since 2007.
configure devices: the configuration of sabayon is quite different. if a device is not recognized today, may be recognized tomorrow, after weekly or daily updates.
for me all of my hardware was recognized, in my comps. it is a fully working system.
my suggestion for you, because i see that you enjoy Sabayon. It requires some expertise.
If you want a stable, distro for daily use, try Mint, but
install a new Sabayon, a daily build. Install in double boot, two distros
In this manner, you will adquires the necessary expertise to use it, Sabayon is an advanced Linux distro. It is a binary-compilation distro, is fully different of the Debian architeture.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
albfneto@fcfrp.usp.br
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby Stupot » Mon Jun 09, 2014 16:26

In truth, I can't think of any new user who has posted so many issues since I've been active on these forums. Each one of those issues takes time for some one to understand and attempt to figure out possible solutions. When you ask so many questions at once, it makes it seem kind of overwhelming to help out.

But mostly, I just don't have enough time at the moment, since I bought a house and am working on fixing it up in all my free time.

I haven't been on the IRC channel for quite a while, but you might see if a user there can't help you out. Just pick one issue and bring it up at a time over there for sure.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby maccabbeo » Sun Jun 15, 2014 21:17

Thank you all guys for sharing your thoughts.
Nobody asked for a "stable" distro: at least not me. What I want is just make everything work properly. I'm not talking about making a shuttle work perfectly: I'm just asking to make my printers work perfectly. I have two printers and none of them work. Come on, that should be the A-B-C for every OS... I'm not asking for the moon, am I? :)

So, as I've been asking before, please let's stop talking about philosophy and let's try to make my printers work.

When I say "let's try to make my printers work" I just mean the models I own: that way me and you will contribute solve other people solve same problems. That's why, dear Stupot, writing so many posts is just the opposite of "overwhelming": in the medium/short term less and less people will go on asking for solutions to similar problems. Overwhelming is helping people solving always and always the same problems: if a thread describes what to do then you just ask such people to RTFM! :D

So, dear albfneto, is there any FM I could read to solve my problems? No need for me to read of Linux Kernel internals in order to be able in 20 years to create my own driver for my printers... :D I've been reading the Linux Kernel (been studying linux 2.6) and that does not help. If there's something to read which will lead me straight to the solution I will surely read it, as done till now since my first day with all the rest of my previous Linux distros.

At this time, in fact, I still do not know whether my printers are supported or not, whether will be in the future or not. All I know is that I'm not able to make them work with Sabayon. The same happens with my iPhone. If there's something to read I will. Now the question is: is there really something to read about how to solve the problems listed in my posts? At the moment I found just nothing. That makes me think there's no solution to my problems. Could you help me understanding whether my problems can be solved or not, please?

Thanks,
regards.
maccabbeo
Simple Hen

Postby MALsPa » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:49

maccabbeo, I think it's great that you seek to resolve these things with Sabayon -- trying to make Sabayon better, helping other users, and so forth.

I don't think I'd be willing to try so hard, or to even complain much. If I had these issues with Sabayon (mounting an iPhone 4, issues with the printers, etc.), and if those things worked fine with an Ubuntu-based distro, I'd simply use the Ubuntu-based distro. Problem solved.

I enjoy using Sabayon, but... I run more than one distro here. No reason to make any particular distro "my distro" because sometimes one distro is better than another for getting certain things done. That's how I see things, anyway.
MALsPa
Young Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:59

I have something for you according to your Brother printer. This support is multilingual (though DCP-145C does not exist for the US). Exactly this shows the variety of problems to solve for such install the drivers. Anyway, this was my entry website to find a driver. I've checked there is Italian support also. But only for deb or rpm packages! I have also find a detailled description for Ubuntu users in German language. Maybe there is Italian Ubuntu support? I don't know.
Code: Select all
http://support.brother.com/g/b/oslist.aspx?c=it&lang=it&prod=dcp145c_eu_as

You can use deb packages and adopt them for install in Sabayon (read about the ar -x command).
The description to install is still based on OpenRC, so you have to adopt for Systemd.
Then, if you were successful with an installation of your Brother DCP-145C I would apologize, that you would let us know, and maybe give a (detailled) description of the steps you've done.
Thank you for your cooperation.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
TTIP is NOT YET stopped. Especially consider NHS and ISDS topics. Talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby maccabbeo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 20:36

Dear Linuxfluesterer,
I wish I could follow your advice. However, before making experiments I wish you could give me some idea about "how dangerous" could those experiments be.
If you think the experiments are not so complicated and not so dangerous then please give me more hints about how to perform the experiments.
If you need to know more about my current configuration in order to evaluate the risk level, please just ask.

Thanks,
regards.
maccabbeo
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:02

To install the driver for the Brother DCP-145C printer you would need to know how to use the Portage package manager and how to create and use a local overlay with an ebuild downloaded from Gentoo Bugzilla Bug Report No. 316877 (which probably needs hacking in any case, as the ebuild dates from 2010 and the Brother Web site package links have changed since then). That is not something a beginner such as yourself would know how to do (as demonstrated by your posts in the thread Unable to install Brother DCP-145C drivers).

The Canon i-Sensys LBP2900 printer uses the Canon CAPT Printer Driver for Linux Version 2.60. There is an ebuild for an earlier version of the CAPT driver in Gentoo Bugzilla Bug Report No. 130612 but it does not work and requires hacking by an expert in Portage. Therefore the chances of you getting a driver in SL for your model of Canon printer are zero, especially as you have no experience in Portage or writing ebuilds.

You would be better off using a distribution such as Mint or Ubuntu, both of which have better support for Brother and Canon printers than Gentoo and its derivatives, and are more beginner-friendly than a distribution such as SL built on the Testing (a.k.a. Unstable) Branch of Gentoo and hence labelled by its developer as 'bleeding-edge'.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion