no /usr/bin/VirtualBox [Solved]

Discussion for all VM - Installing, Software, Problems

Moderator: Moderators

no /usr/bin/VirtualBox [Solved]

Postby ceremcem » Wed May 14, 2014 23:41

I have switched to Sabayon from Debian. I don't know how to debug this issue.

I followed instructions found at https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... Virtualbox (but a little bit different, I first issued "equo install virtualbox-bin") and now there is no /usr/bin/VirtualBox binary.

Why? How can I fix it?
Last edited by ceremcem on Thu May 15, 2014 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
ceremcem
Baby Hen

Re: no /usr/bin/VirtualBox

Postby eor2004 » Thu May 15, 2014 3:14

I followed the same instructions in the wiki page for installing virtualbox in sabayon and installed with no problems, so there's something you have missed in the instructions, I suggest you to uninstall virtualbox and start following the instructions very carefully again from the beginning, one thing to remember, sabayon dropped support for openrc and now uses systemd.

P.S. On your first install always follow the instructions here before doing anything else on your first install of Sabayon:
https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... t_to_do.3F
Sabayon Linux MATE 64-bit
Gigabyte G41M-ES2L-->2gb ram
Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.60ghz-->E5300
WD-6400AAKS-Caviar-SE16-640gb-->XFS filesystem
eor2004
Simple Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Thu May 15, 2014 6:23

Exactly, VirtualBox (watch the correct spelling, pls) is created under /opt/bin with a link to /opt/VirtualBox/VBox.sh.
The way to install VirtualBox with less or usually no problems is easy. Open a root terminal and type the following:
Code: Select all
equo install virtualbox-modules#$(uname -r)
equo install virtualbox-bin
usermod -a -G vboxusers <your_user_name>

Next step, provided you are using Systemd now, is, you must load your VirtualBox modules from beginning (at boot time). So then put this file to /etc/modules-load.d. Watch the extension 'conf', pls:
# /etc/modules-load.d/VirtualBox.conf
# modules for VirtualBox, loaded by Systemd
#
vboxdrv
vboxnetadp
vboxnetflt

To prevent confusion and testing automatically loading while boot, you should restart your computer. After login as user you should see a VirtualBox icon in your start menu under >Applications>System>Oracle xVM VirtualBox.
Since I had this VirtualBox problem (due to several Kernel versions), I've found this way for the most effective.
Much success.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby ceremcem » Thu May 15, 2014 10:34

Thank you for your answers.

I tried to launch /opt/VirtualBox/VirtualBox, there is no problem at all. (this is something, right?) It seems that I can use VirtualBox in this way in the worst case.

If you mean "equo rm virtualbox-bin" by uninstalling virtualbox, I had tried that several times. I did it again, and nothing changed:

[email protected] ~ $ which VirtualBox
which: no VirtualBox in (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.7.3:/usr/games/bin)

But, as I said, I had issued "equo install virtualbox-bin" before installing modules. I remember that kernel is updated. If I need to revert this change also, I don't know how to do that.
ceremcem
Baby Hen

Re: no /usr/bin/VirtualBox [Solved]

Postby ceremcem » Thu May 15, 2014 10:46

After reboot, all went OK and now I see both from command line and menu.

This is good (ok, I have my app installed) but why there is a reboot needed? (logging into shell again (with su $(whoami)) didn't work)
ceremcem
Baby Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Thu May 15, 2014 15:39

Exactly, I don't really know, why it's best to reboot. Maybe for some changes (at least autoload of modules for VirtualBox). What I know is, that the icon is not shown just after install of VirtualBox and as all I remember, at least you must logout and relogin to be active member of the 'vboxusers' group. Only then you can execute VirtualBox as yourself. And, be aware, VirtualBox should only be run as normal user!

ceremcem wrote:But, as I said, I had issued "equo install virtualbox-bin" before installing modules. I remember that kernel is updated. If I need to revert this change also, I don't know how to do that.

As long as you are in the main line 3.XX.yy (here XX) you should not really need to (re)install VirtualBox. Only when you install another Kernel mainline (e.g. 3.15 than 3.14 then you sould repeat the installation procedure for VirtualBox without creating the /etc/modules-load.d/VirtualBox.conf file; this file is still existing.
The important point is the $(uname -r) in the installation routine with equo. Anyway then you are able to use VirtualBox with the old Kernel and the new Kernel, because the Kernel modules of VirtualBox are stored in /lib/modules/for each installed Kernel.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby batvink » Fri May 16, 2014 23:36

switching kernel using kernel-switcher should automatically pull in the dependencies.
eg. :
virtualbox-modules matching the new kernel, video drivers, etc...
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Return to Virtual Managers