Sabayon didn't workout in my case.

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sabayon didn't workout in my case.

Postby way12go » Thu Apr 24, 2014 16:32

Today I tried Puppy Linux and I had a problem on my latest laptop but not on my older desktop. Here is what I have posted on Puppy Linux forum...

Original Post:

I installed Puppy Linux [ slacko-5.7.0-PAE.iso ] to a USB pendrive and booted from it and it does work but the text is unreadable and icons on the desktop are fine but menu too has garbled text and it's simply unreadable. When I open firefox mouse gets stuck and the laptop becomes unusable. It simply comes to a stall. I burned it to a DVD and did md5sum on it and everything is fine and then I booted from DVD and same problem. I'm unable to use Puppy Linux.

Reply to my post:

Please post the make, model, and specifications of your computer, to the best of your ability.

Hm. When you checked the md5sum... did you check the md5sum at the download location against that of the ISO you downloaded? (That's the way it's supposed to work.) This sounds an awful lot like Puppy didn't download right and got a little crazy as a result.

If the md5sums match, per the method I just mentioned, then you're possibly looking at failing RAM... but that's not anywhere near as likely as a bad download. If you suspect your RAM, you need to run Memtest86+ for at least eight hours in one go (start it going, go to bed, check it when you wake up). Longer is better, to a point (you really don't need to run it for more than 24 hours). You can google "memtest86+" (without quotes) to find a download of it; it's free for everyone, just like Puppy is, and you use it a bit like Puppy -- burn the image to a CD and boot from it.

But first, check that sum again, the way I suggested.

My final reply:

I used the same USB drive on a old desktop and it worked without any problem what so ever. I think my new laptop has some graphics support issue. How do I resolve it? When I try to install other distro like Bodhi Linux the login screen some times works and most of the times doesn't and if I use low graphics version install it works. Also I tried Sabayon linux on my laptop and it gave me 5 times kernal panic. Is this graphics card issue? Unsupported? After I install Bodhi linux it works without any problem.

Conclusion: Is this graphics card unrecognized problem? Is this why Sabayon didn't work for me?
way12go
Young Hen

Postby msdobrescu » Thu Apr 24, 2014 16:33

The latest kernel, 3.14.1, works now for me.
msdobrescu
Technological Hen

Postby sabayonino » Thu Apr 24, 2014 17:33

I think you can provide to file a bug report for this appending most informations about your hardware (see previous commands posted cookbug and/or logscript.sh or others)

If it is a kernel issue only Developers can fix this.
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby way12go » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:12

User from puppy linux forum wrote:

Here is something to try:

1. Run: Menu > Shutdown > Exit to Prompt

2. Type: xorgwizard

3. Select: Vesa

4. Reboot.

My reply:

rcrsn51 wrote:
Here is something to try:

1. Run: Menu > Shutdown > Exit to Prompt

2. Type: xorgwizard

3. Select: Vesa

4. Reboot.

It's working. Not Vesa but nomodesetting

Vesa gives me blank screen.

nomodesetting works perfectly.

Problem solved.

Thanks a lot.

My question: When I boot from Sabayon DVD I get blue green distorted screen and goes into kernel panic... is this the real problem?
way12go
Young Hen

Postby B3rtm3n » Sat May 10, 2014 10:31

What kind of type of CPU do you have?

Sabayon no longer supports non-PAE CPU.

It is my experience that downloading with torrent offers more stable ISO or using daily builds often solve issues as well.
B3rtm3n
Growing Hen

Postby way12go » Sat May 10, 2014 11:48

Mine is latest Pentium Dual Core 3rd Generation Processor. The problem is internal graphics. My internal graphics doesn't support Sabayon booting... if there is nomodeset option my laptop will work. How to go to nomodeset before booting? If I boot the laptop goes into kernal panic mode.
way12go
Young Hen

Postby sabayonino » Sat May 10, 2014 11:50

way12go wrote:Mine is latest Pentium Dual Core 3rd Generation Processor. The problem is internal graphics. My internal graphics doesn't support Sabayon booting... if there is nomodeset option my laptop will work. How to go to nomodeset before booting? If I boot the laptop goes into kernal panic mode.

Press F5 and choose nomodeset option
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby way12go » Sat May 10, 2014 12:05

[email protected]:~$ lspci -v -s `lspci | awk '/VGA/{print $1}'`
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device c708
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 43
Memory at 90000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
Memory at 80000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
I/O ports at 3000 [size=64]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: i915
way12go
Young Hen

Previous

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion