Blinking boot [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Blinking boot

Postby msdobrescu » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:38

It obviously doesn't do the job, the shutdown is just an effect. There are anomalies, like several white pixels in the upper left area of the black screen, running, flickering or something. It's like the cpu and the gpu interpret some random code and decide to shut down. Could it be the nvidia driver though, or the video layer of the OS, I don't know.
The fact is, the kernel 3.13.7 displays some issues at the boot time, but the OS seem to work properly. Right now, the systemd zfs service is down too and the KDE says it cannot run the effects, more exactly 22 of them. I'm lost. I would have say the configuration of my PC is messed up, but as long as the live DVDs have the same issues, 14.01 and 14.05, there is something wrong in the latest updates, including KDE 4.12.4, the nvidia drivers, systemd and some of the latest kernels regarding my hardware...
msdobrescu
Technological Hen

Postby msdobrescu » Fri Apr 18, 2014 13:35

I've found this, I guess is one of my issues with KDE: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332784.

Also, googling by "kde effects disabled kernel 3.13", related or not to the kernel, you can see that many distros have the issues shown here.
msdobrescu
Technological Hen

Postby msdobrescu » Thu Apr 24, 2014 16:32

The latest kernel, 3.14.1, works now for me.
msdobrescu
Technological Hen

Re: Blinking boot similar issue with an AMD based system

Postby BurnMyDread » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:25

Hello,
I had a similar issue with my system:
Linux x86_64 AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Pitcairn PRO [Radeon HD 7850]
(I can post the full lspci and uname as needed.)

The work around I used was:
1)boot the flashdrive in non-UEFI safe mode
2)Complete a standard install without rebooting.
3)mounted the system. (In may case this was a partition for / and /boot each.)
In a terminal:
4)chroot <the / mount point>
5)equo update
6)equo upgrade
7)reboot from the GUI
BurnMyDread
Baby Hen

Postby msdobrescu » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:18

But in my case was an upgraded system, not a fresh install. I have attempted a rescue though... The idea was to know if the DVD has the same issue. It had.
msdobrescu
Technological Hen

Previous

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion