Anaconda Installer does not recognice the EFI Partition

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Anaconda Installer does not recognice the EFI Partition

Postby TheCube42 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 17:41

Unintentional (I tried to take a screencap as fast as possible, and thought your request was just the error message in English). I am trying to mount /dev/sda2 at /boot/efi, and mounting /dev/sda6 at / (this is how my Ubuntu installation is currently set up). However, since /dev/sda2 is recognized by Anaconda as vfat and not "EFI system partition," Anaconda refuses to move forward.
TheCube42
Baby Hen

Postby lxnay » Mon Jan 06, 2014 18:13

From the cut image you posted, I can't see what partitioning layout you created (which may contain errors), and this doesn't help me at all.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby lxnay » Mon Jan 06, 2014 18:23

Basically, the partition type in your case doesn't seem to be "efi" (or EFh) and Anaconda refuses to validate the layout [1], then it goes into this branch as well [2]. I tried to reproduce the bug with your setup but it seems to work in my case (but I am using the latest Sabayon DAILY ISO image!). However, the EFI system partition was created by anaconda itself in my case.

I need more logs, namely all the *.log files in /tmp/ after the errors pop out. To me, it seems that there is something wrong with your EFI system Partition, but I haven't enough info to figure out where's the problem exactly.

[1] https://github.com/Sabayon/anaconda/blo ... rm.py#L240
[2] https://github.com/Sabayon/anaconda/blo ... rm.py#L134
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby TheCube42 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 22:07

I attempted install with the same setup, and got these logs (zipped): https://copy.com/vexBWzV9HTOP

From quick Ctrl+F search, it feels like the only log that is useful is storage.log.
TheCube42
Baby Hen

Postby TheCube42 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 18:55

Update: Tried daily image (20140111). Still shows up as vfat.

I also tried both Fedora 20 and OpenSUSE 13.1, and they both recognize the EFI partition correctly without a hitch. I feel that if Ubuntu, Red Hat, and SUSE all accept my partition as EFI automatically, the probability that my EFI partition is wrong is... low.

I don't know how Sabayon's installer defines an EFI system partition, but it's interesting you mentioned "EFh", which is a MBR thing, instead of the GUID "C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B" used in GPT.
TheCube42
Baby Hen

Postby Lukensteinz » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:07

"The ESP partition: How many are needed, where, and how big should it be?
Different sources on the internet says different things. Microsft only support one such partition – and that partition needs to be on your boot disk. MS also recommends it to be the first partition on your disk. As for size, according to Rod Smith (see link above) Windows installers create 100MB ESP partitions, Macs create 200MB, while Linux utilities gets confused with FAT16/32 setups if partitions are smaller than 520MiB, so he recommends creating 550MiB for the ESP. My system came with a 300MB ESP partition."

Not sure if this is the case or not. As I find Ubuntu and other distros tend to detect it just fine.
http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.p ... einstalled )-Windows-8-and-Linux-UEFI-etc
Lukensteinz
Baby Hen

Previous

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**